The absurd bowl system....

The article makes a good point... it has absolutely gotten ridiculous imo.

A conference call is reportedly scheduled this week among members of a special NCAA oversight committee to determine, and we’re not joking, how to definitively determine the relative postseason merits of programs with 5-7 records or worse, the cream of the world’s largest pillow fight.

Reactions: 1 person
Teams with losing records doesn't deserve to go to a bowl game. If that's the case then they might as well hand out participation trophies.

Reactions: 10 people
If anything, they'll just keep adding bowl games.

There's far too much money involved for them to start cutting them down, or eradicating them entirely.

What is the difference between two 6-6 teams playing and a 6-6vs5-7 match-up? Nothing. Let the players go have a few days in a new city and pick up some gift bags. Hurts nothing

Reactions: 17 people
What is the difference between two 6-6 teams playing and a 6-6vs5-7 match-up? Nothing. Let the players go have a few days in a new city and pick up some gift bags. Hurts nothing

This is my feelings as well. If someone is willing to put up money to support a bowl then why should fans get their panties in a wad? We would've jumped at the chance a couple years back.

Reactions: 3 people

Exactly... If they can find sponsors, play 60 bowl games and let everybody go. It hurts absolutely no one.

Reactions: 6 people
It's all about $$$. As long as money is being made the system will continue. Things will change when someone figures out how to make more money or the money isn't there anymore.

Most schools lose money on bowl trips. Cut the bowls back to 15 or 20 of them but let every school have the extra practices.

Most schools lose money on bowl trips. Cut the bowls back to 15 or 20 of them but let every school have the extra practices.

I believe NCAA basketball has a rule where teams that didn't make a post season tournament CAN practice during that time. Most don't, but the option is there.

It would be hard to motivate a team with Dec. practices, but why not offer it...especially if you have a young team or will breaking in a new QB.

Teams with losing records doesn't deserve to go to a bowl game. If that's the case then they might as well hand out participation trophies.

In that regard, do .500 teams "deserve" a bowl game? It's not about deserving, it's about sponsorship money.

Has nothing to do with there being too many bowls. If they lose money then decline the invite. Every school should have a business dept that will help with the cost analysis if needed

Has nothing to do with there being too many bowls. If they lose money then decline the invite. Every school should have a business dept that will help with the cost analysis if needed

If they decline they do not get the extra practice sessions. If they could still get the extra practices I think many would decline.

If they decline they do not get the extra practice sessions. If they could still get the extra practices I think many would decline.

Extra practice is pretty useless without a game to play. I'm sure those seniors will love spending a couple extra weeks running around in the cold

Extra practice is pretty useless without a game to play. I'm sure those seniors will love spending a couple extra weeks running around in the cold

I'm sure the seniors wouldn't be involved. So you suggest spring practice is useless?

I'm sure the seniors wouldn't be involved. So you suggest spring practice is useless?

Spring practice is different than a bunch of practices in the middle of winter after a long season.

The money aspect is irrelevant since most AD's lose money every year anyways. Make the trip and play the game or decline

Each school that accepts the invitation, then has to buy usually between 10,000 to 20,000 tickets at full price, of which they then have to sell, many schools end up not selling many of their tickets, as fans can usually find them online cheaper. Many schools accepting bowl bids wind up losing money as there expenses are more than the revenue they receive. I would imagine that bowls will start to die off soon as more schools realize this.

I found this an interesting comment at the bottom of the article.

Exactly! As a fan, if there is a bowl match up that doesn't appeal to you then just don't watch the game. There is other stuff to do between Christmas and New Year's. If an athletic dept loses money, that's their problem. If a sponsor loses money, that's their problem. If games are played in half empty stadiums, that's their problem. Why should any fan care about that? They probably regard it as money well spent anyway. It's a good time for their players, fans, staff, alumni, administration and organizers. Of all things in life that I have to complain about, too many college football games will never make the cut.

Reactions: 2 people
How about we all throw in $20 each and sponsor the "VolNation" bowl?

We could have the last place SEC east team vs last place SEC west team.

We could have "Freaks" halftime report (thread) and Boca Vol doing the sideline reporting.

We could sell it as the "Not SEC Championship" game.

VN Store

Back