Need help from an artsy creative type person.

Vfl2407

KNS has story talking about how UT-Vandy game needs some kind of trophy.
I have an idea but don't know to draw it.
Could someone help?

Call it the V-Cup.
One side is gold and says VANDY
Other side is Orange and says VOLS

First of all. I lol'd at V-cup.I like the idea of the V. maybe, the top of it is the state kind of like ESPNU does the U to represent Tennessee?

Edit: take out the vandy and vols part. Keep it simple. Maybe half the base is in either anchors or chains and the other half is "chegger board"?

Last edited:
First of all. I lol'd at V-cup.I like the idea of the V. maybe, the top of it is the state kind of like ESPNU does the U to represent Tennessee?

Edit: take out the vandy and vols part. Keep it simple. Maybe half the base is in either anchors or chains and the other half is "chegger board"?

Ooh, kinda like that.
Vandy side should say Anchor Down and it would always be turned that way since winners side is on top.

Reactions: 1 person
Could someone help?

Call it the V-Cup.

The person who could nail this for you is that girl who paints the Rock before our home games. Anybody know her name or how he could contact her?

Wouldn't an Orange anchor be more appropriate, since we own them anyway?

How about the "Tea" cup or just "T" cup since we will have it 99 out of the next 100 years.

The person who could nail this for you is that girl who paints the Rock before our home games. Anybody know her name or how he could contact her?

Payton Miller and she's quite good. The V-Cup is iffy unless it holds Jack Daniels (Vandy) or moonshine (UT) and the winners drink out of it. Of course, that would be frowned upon.

The artist who paints the rock is Payton Marie Miller. She's on Facebook, so that's one way to reach her. The idea for a trophy and its design will have to go through an approval process at both schools, though. Since KNS proposed the idea, they should have the contacts-- but it will be bureaucratic.

Could someone help?

Call it the V-Cup.

Sounds like this article is a rehash of an article the Tennessean had several months back. I think David Climer wrote that one, it was bad idea the , it's still a bad idea

This isn't as bad of idea as it sounds. Vandy is more of a rivalry game the. Kentucky. They are an in state opponent, many other schools who are instate schools do this even if it is less then competitive. If you look at our history as a program Vandy is a big reason why we became serious about football and became a powerhouse under Neyland. We were tired of losing to them. (Like waaaaay back in the day). Lol. And since we play them at the end of the year the it'll be another motivating factor and a nice cap off for the season.

Payton Miller, you are a talented young lady. I've never seen that picture of rock before. Awesome Good job young lady

Not deserving of a trophy. Look at the beer barrel with Kentucky, we had it so long I believe we lost it. We don't need to dignify the baby brother wanting to make it a rivalry.

It would need a "Sippy Lid" attachment to put on it if Vandy ever lucked out again to actually get possession.

Payton Miller, you are a talented young lady. I've never seen that picture of rock before. Awesome Good job young lady

Sorry, but painting a rock ain't art.

Now if it was four rocks, sitting around a table playing poker...

Last edited:
Back when we first discussed this in August I jokingly made a case for calling it "The Commodore Cup"
1) It sounds classy.
2) The cup is originating in Nashville with The Tennessean.
3) If each year's winner is engraved on the trophy, it needs to have some reference to Vanderbilt on it somewhere.

But then Volosaurus Rex brilliantly opined that if one absolutely insists on giving Vanderbilt pseudo-equal billing, it could be named for Gen. Neyland & Dan McGugin in honor of the greatest coaches in the respective histories of the two programs. A name that honors two historic coaches--especially our beloved General--is totally worthy.

The one thing the whole trophy idea necessarily lacks (for lack of time passed) is an accumulated heft of tradition (like the 1925-1997 "Beer Barrel"). Adorning the cup or trophy with the names of two legendary coaches, whose coaching stints were interrupted by world wars, would give the award deeper roots in college football history.

...if the award is a trophy, I'd vote Neyland/McGugin Trophy. If it's a cup, then call it the McGugin/Neyland Cup. But don't be surprised if it ends up being one of those giant, heinous wooden plaques shaped like the state of Tennessee.

Political correctness will probably require it be of repurposed wood. If it has to go that route, at least fashion it out of quality teak from one of the Commodore's old yachts, and inlay it with repurposed copper from... well, east Tennesseans "still" know where to find old copper. :thumbsup:

VN Store

Back