Vickers steadies Vols' D-line

kamoshika

An overnight sensation he is not.

Rather, Kendal Vickers is a steadying force in the middle of Tennessee's defensive line after following an old-school college football path: redshirt season in 2013, backup role player a year ago and now starter on an improving Vols' front.

"Redshirting is probably the best thing I could have done since I've been here," the Havelock, N.C., native tells VolQuest.com. "I knew I was undersized, of course; I got here kind of late. I didn't get her until that July (2013). But that's probably the best thing I'd say that could have happened to me.

"I love it here. I wouldn't change it for anything. I love our fans, I love the guys on this team. We've got a great group of guys on this team, and I wouldn't change it for anything."

https://tennessee.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1829276

Reactions: 11 people
An overnight sensation he is not.

Rather, Kendal Vickers is a steadying force in the middle of Tennessee's defensive line after following an old-school college football path: redshirt season in 2013, backup role player a year ago and now starter on an improving Vols' front.

"Redshirting is probably the best thing I could have done since I've been here," the Havelock, N.C., native tells VolQuest.com. "I knew I was undersized, of course; I got here kind of late. I didn't get her until that July (2013). But that's probably the best thing I'd say that could have happened to me.

"I love it here. I wouldn't change it for anything. I love our fans, I love the guys on this team. We've got a great group of guys on this team, and I wouldn't change it for anything."

https://tennessee.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1829276

good story..Vickers is the strongest player on the team and could very well be playing on Sundays one day

Reactions: 1 person
We'll need to use him a lot next year as well as the current frosh, with the losses of Obrien and Williams at DT.

Reactions: 1 person
We'll need to use him a lot next year as well as the current frosh, with the losses of Obrien and Williams at DT.

I think O'Brien is a Junior (he's listed as a junior on VolQuest)...he did red shirt one year so he may have already graduated but I haven't heard he was leaving...

Reactions: 4 people
KVickers has proven to be a great player as a DT moving from the DE position. Congratulations on starting every game this season.

I think O'Brien is a Junior (he's listed as a junior on VolQuest)...he did red shirt one year so he may have already graduated but I haven't heard he was leaving...

Pretty sure he's a junior as well. We should be fine at DT.

O'Brien
Mckenzie
Tuttle
Vickers
Picou
Alexis Johnson (JUCO)
Christmas Giles (FR)
Probably one more FR

Mckenzie, Tuttle, Picou all should be markedly stronger with their first full year and offseason program.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
Owen Williams has been a beast down the stretch this year.

We're going to miss him.

Vickers will be even stronger next season as will all our D linemen.

Next season I expect our entire D line to advance into full BEAST mode.

If Sutton and JRM stay for their Senior seasons and the replacements for our graduating Seniors step up like we expect I think we could have a top 5 D team next season.

They're sure going to be lots of fun to watch.

#BrickbyBrick...VFL...GBO!!!

Reactions: 3 people
defensive line coach should get a nice raise

For sure. This is one unit on the team that will be the exciting to watch next year too. Looks like we will finally have the depth we need on the D line to compete at a high level.

We're going to miss him.

If Sutton and JRM stay for their Senior seasons and the replacements for our graduating Seniors step up like we expect I think we could have a top 5 D team next season.

As long as you're a Big Orange fan they're going to be fun to watch, they'll flat out whoop most everybody on our schedule next year including Bammer.

We're going to miss him.

Our D would have been better this year without all of the injuries. We are currently 47th in total D. Vandy by comparison is 22nd in total D. Who has the better D? I bet we show Saturday that we have the better D.

Our D would have been better this year without all of the injuries. We are currently 47th in total D. Vandy by comparison is 22nd in total D. Who has the better D? I bet we show Saturday that we have the better D.

Those rankings can't take into account strength of opponent nor how many points your own team scores. If your O is putting up good numbers, then the other team can't go conservative and will put up more yards typically. The Candy O is historically bad so teams didn't have to score very much to secure the win.

Just like with MZ - our D will look better against the Candy O compared to the Candy D vs our O.

VN Store

Back