Here is why this season is a success

rocky top buzz

I hesitate posting this with Vandy and a bowl left, but barring tragedy this season can be judged by more than the wins and losses.

Question: When was the last time Tennessee won every game or had losses by 1 touchdown or less in a season?

That's right, the last time the Tennessee Vols did not have a loss in a season by a margin greater than 7 points was in 1998. And it is worth pointing out that this season the one game where the loss was that "big" a spread was Oklahoma, where the score was tied at the end of regulation.

Sure, those 4 losses were extremely disappointing. But when you look at where this team has been and where it is going, this is certainly the right track.

Reactions: 35 people
A few short years ago, we were being left to wonder if we could beat Vandy or UK in order to make a bowl, or worse, avoid our first ever 8 loss season. We were holding our breaths against teams like UAB, Troy and S Alabama. Now we have fans complaining about how we almost but didn't quite beat OU or Bama or how we only beat Mizzou by 11 or that we could have won the east this year. We're not perfect, but the difference is night and day.

Reactions: 39 people
A few short years ago, we were being left to wonder if we could beat Vandy or UK in order to make a bowl, or worse, avoid our first ever 8 loss season. We were holding our breaths against teams like UAB, Troy and S Alabama. Now we have fans complaining about how we almost but didn't quite beat OU or Bama or how we only beat Mizzou by 11 or that we could have won the east this year. We're not perfect, but the difference is night and day.

+1

Reactions: 1 person
I hesitate posting this with Vandy and a bowl left, but barring tragedy this season can be judged by more than the wins and losses.

Question: When was the last time Tennessee won every game or had losses by 1 touchdown or less in a season?

That's right, the last time the Tennessee Vols did not have a loss in a season by a margin greater than 7 points was in 1998. And it is worth pointing out that this season the one game where the loss was that "big" a spread was Oklahoma, where the score was tied at the end of regulation.

Sure, those 4 losses were extremely disappointing. But when you look at where this team has been and where it is going, this is certainly the right track.
I keep mentioning the following across various threads due to its significance in my opinion. We outrushed Bammer this year, at their joint, with perhaps their having the Heisman winner as an RB, he's certainly the front runner today. Second we were more physical and piled up more rushing yards against the Mizzou D than anybody this season. To me, end of season, we turned a very big corner!

Reactions: 8 people
While I would have loved to go undefeated and win the natty, if we get 9-4 with a win on a good bowl, then its an improvement from last year. Now next year I expect 10 wins

Reactions: 2 people
While I would have loved to go undefeated and win the natty, if we get 9-4 with a win on a good bowl, then its an improvement from last year. Now next year I expect 10 wins

I fully expect to compete for the SEC, and a playoff Birth next year. Everyone is coming back. We have all the horses, and its time that Butch gets it done. 10-11 wins next season should be obtainable. I just can't wait to bring the goal posts down when we beat florida next year.

Reactions: 4 people
i agree i think are coaches learned too. we should compete for sec east for sure. no more than 2 losses

I think almost everyone on here feels somewhat the same, but come at it from different angles. The people who are positive are coming at it from how they felt before the season, and how the results will (presumably be) at the end of the season. While the people being negative are looking at how we lost the games we did, and how we could have been much better. Most people estimated an 8-4 season with an outside chance of a 9-3. I was expecting just that and said I would be happy with 8-9 regular season wins. I was frustrated when we lost the games earlier in the season, but I got over it because stuff happens.

I'm looking forward to the future which is not something I could say previously outside of blind hope that things would change.

Volnation. It's ok to be happy and critical at the same time. I'm happy we are 8 - 4 and showing improvement, but we blew some games that we should have clearly won

Reactions: 5 people
Can I get an AMEN!!!!:rock:

Reactions: 2 people
I keep mentioning the following across various threads due to its significance in my opinion. We outrushed Bammer this year, at their joint, with perhaps their having the Heisman winner as an RB, he's certainly the front runner today. Second we were more physical and piled up more rushing yards against the Mizzou D than anybody this season. To me, end of season, we turned a very big corner!
and another AMEN!!!!:rock:

We need to beat the dog mess out of Vandy and then I will call it a success... I'm sick of seeing this "Our State" stuff they put out there.

Reactions: 3 people
Prior to the season, I hoping for a 10-2 regular season record. However, I would say this was a successful season. UT did lose the games in a competitive fashion to four really good teams. Three of the teams that defeat are in the hunt for playoff spots. (UT had Florida and Oklahoma beat.) However, I would mainly consider the a successful season because of:

With a win over Vanderbilt, "it will be the most wins in the last seven years, which is a big @$$ deal."

With continued projection upward, UT may be in Atlanta next year.

I'm as disappointed as anyone over our 4 close losses but then shutter when I think we could have lost to GA & SC & sitting at 5-6 hoping against hope to beat candy to get into a minor bowl! I'm grateful for what we got!

Volnation. It's ok to be happy and critical at the same time. I'm happy we are 8 - 4 and showing improvement, but we blew some games that we should have clearly won

THIS.

Labeling a season a success depends on the goals and objectives. At this point, we should be back in the hunt for conference titles, big bowls, and national relevancy, so that's my measuring stick.

I'm happy with the improvements, but until we beat Bama and/or Florida, or both whenever that glorious year returns, I'll be a little salty about the season as a whole.

I fully expect to compete for the SEC, and a playoff Birth next year. Everyone is coming back. We have all the horses, and its time that Butch gets it done. 10-11 wins next season should be obtainable. I just can't wait to bring the goal posts down when we beat florida next year.

Everyone is not coming back. Some very key players will be graduating. But we definitely return more talent than anytime in the last 10 or so years.

I was being conservative.........I thought maybe 7-4. I would be all in on this staff if they would stop with the "play not to lose" mentality. Those 4 close loses could have been close wins if they called a better game. When you play not to lose, you usually lose. We have good talent, albeit young, and maybe that's the reason for the conservatism.

if you haven't won a game vs your 2 biggest rivals in a decade success shouldn't be in your vocabulary. Another mediocre year without a win vs a good football team.

Make it happen Saturday.
How great would it be for your Jackets and your Vols in recruiting for UGA to lose Saturday!
If Tech wins, I will drive over to Smyrna and meet you in front of Julia Roberts childhood home and kiss your......

Feet.
With clean socks on.
Hey, I don't know where your feet have been. :eek:lol:

VN Store

Back