Peyton Manning to return next season

PM needs to retire,his best days have come and gone. I don't want him to sit the bench for the last season or two of his career.

Reactions: 5 people
Ehhh I wouldn't call it a definite yes just yet, but I would love to see him go out on a higher note. Keep padding on those record stats. I read an ESPN article that he is considering it, I just haven't heard anything definitive to this point.

I didn't see that coming. Here's an excerpt from the ProFootballTalk article by Mike Florio.

Manning is “absolutely determined” to get himself healthy, according to a source with knowledge of the situation, doing all he can to overcome a variety of injuries, including a partially torn plantar fascia and a rib injury that, while not involving any broken bones, remains very painful. Manning firmly believes he’ll play again this year.

But Manning’s goal isn’t to simply become healthy enough so that he can play. He hopes to be healthy enough that he’ll play better than he did during the Week 10 debacle against the Chiefs, a 0.0-rating outcome that featured only five completions and four interceptions.

And as Manning focuses on getting healthy on this year, he’s still not considering it his last NFL season. He currently intends, according to the source, to play in 2016 — even if he won’t be playing for the Broncos.

It's sad to see guys that hang on too long. That said, he's a competitor, how can we judge him for that? Let the Broncos decide if he's healthy enough and is the right guy for the job.

Reactions: 2 people
I didn't see that coming. Here's an excerpt from the ProFootballTalk article by Mike Florio.

Thanks for sharing Freak. I am sure someone picks him up if it works out that way. The thing is the Broncos are a team not caring who plays where as long as they win, as it should be, as I agree .

Reactions: 1 person
It's just his competitive spirit. Of course at this point he's not thinking retirement but reality may change his mind in the off season. The reality is that even before his injuries, he was the lowest rated AFC QB. And he will continue to get injured. The problem with being 40 in the NFL is that you can't stay healthy. That's what John Elway figured out at a younger age. I think Peyton will too

Reactions: 2 people
Three Players remain from the 98 NFL Draft.

Matt Hasselbeck (Indy) started QB and won yesterday. Mostly career backup - not many starts last 5 years
Charles Woodson (Raiders) leads the NFL in Interceptions
Peyton Manning (Denver) Our boy

Comes down to Manning v Woodson like 18 years later now again :)

Last edited:
I would be shocked if PM plays next year. Either the Vol and NFL great is delusional or, a better bet, Florio's sources are not very close to Manning and, therefore, mistaken about his intentions. A rebuilding team would not want an old, gimpy HOFer. I could see Haslam, with this strong UT connection, and with Cleveland having QB problems, being tempted to get PM, but the fan base would not be too happy. Maybe the Browns bring him in to compete with a younger QB for the starting job--but PM has been pretty bad this year, his body cannot stand the rigors of a long season anymore--and why would he risk his reputation, which is already getting dinged this year, by having another bad year next year. I'm sure he'd like to go out on top--but that is not so easy to do when you are 40. He came close with Denver, but didn't quite get there, I'm sorry to say. If Osweiller has a terrible game against new england and the broncos lose, there is a chance Kubiak would reinstate PM as the starter, but it would take a pretty ugly performance by Oz for that to happen, as PM's play as been ugly itself. It could be interesting as the Broncos are still very much in line for a playoff berth--but Osweiller is pretty good and I think he'll be ok against New England. I'm sure PM wants to keep playing--but in the end he'll make the wise decision.

Last edited:
Oh, I thought you meant return as in return to UT.
His sticking with Denver ain't news.

This is how type A people operate. I am really surprised Michael Jordan didn't just outright buy an NBA team and make himself captain. Quit is not something that is in their vocabulary. They will continue to compete until it's absolutely not feasible. And even then it probably takes a lot of convincing from friends and family.

Shocking how even Vol fans are prepared to sell Peyton short. Maybe I'm alone, but I won't be the least bit surprised if he plays again. I don't know why anyone would be. He's injured. Assuming he can get healthy, he will still be one of the most productive QBs in the league, even if his skills have diminished somewhat. He's only a year older than Brady and no one is saying Brady's days are numbered. They did last season when he had a few bad games, but no one wants to admit they were jumping to conclusions then.

While his time as an elite QB is done I don't blame him for staying past his prime. If he's not ready to say goodbye forever and someone lets him play then I say let him play. It doesn't matter if he's perfect anymore, I'll cheer because he's still doing what makes him happy.

Matt Hasselbeck (Indy) started QB and won yesterday. Mostly career backup - not many starts last 5 years

Hasselbeck mostly a career backup? You mean with the exception of the decade he was a starter in Seattle?

Interesting stat HazMat, thanks.

It's kinda crazy that out of all the players drafted that year, Manning/Woodson are two of the three remaining.

He's tied for the most wins for a QB in NFL history. He needs to get healthy, sign a one day contract with a team playing against a scrub, get the W and then retire as the all time winningest QB.

VN Store

Back