Apologetic for Joshua Dobbs

Sarms58

Having read the attacks on young Joshua Dobbs and the calls for him to be benched in favor of the backup (you know, the best player on every team according to unhappy fans), I thought I’d look at where Dobbs sits among Tennessee QBs.

Dobbs is 10th in all time passing yards at UT…of course he has fewer games than all the others but barring injury, he will probably end up with about 35 or 36 games. His current TD to INT ratio puts him at 7th among the top 10 passing yardage leaders – ahead of Shuler, Francis and Kelly. His current completion percentage also places him at 7th – ahead of Bray, Martin and Crompton. Dobbs is averaging right at 180 yards per game passing which puts him at 5th on the list – ahead of Crompton, Kelly, Martin, Shuler and Francis. And at 54 yards rushing per game, he’s the only real dual threat on the list – Tee average 22 yards per game and Shuler 11.6. When you combine his rushing and passing yardage, he’s third in yardage per game– behind Manning and Bray.

Dobbs weakest stat is yards per attempt – he’s 10th on the list (and this drags his QB rating down). His 6.5 ypa is just behind Crompton’s 6.7 and over a half yard behind Ainge’s 7.2, but the other seven on the list are all above 7.6 (they range from 7.6 to 8.1). And this is the heart of the criticism against him…not enough big plays…clearly this will be his focus area for improvement. He’s not going to ever be the passer Manning was – Peyton is the all time leading passer in the NFL and those just don’t come very often. But hopefully our OL and rushing attack continue to improve and there will be more opportunities to catch the D stacked so the receivers can run routes that give them the opportunity for big plays – like the slant to Kent on the first play of the bama game in ’96. Not a long ball but the perfect call against a D that is stacked to stop the run. Hopefully (again, I’m always hopeful) we have healthier receivers next year and can take advantage of people focusing on our run game.

Another stat he needs to work on is sacks…I know the OL takes much of the blame on this stat but the QB also has some accountability…sometime his mobility is a liability because he scrambles instead of throwing the ball away. But he’s a smart guy and will improve this.
Overall I’d like to see Dobbs reduce his rushing attempts from 12/game to about 8/game. I think fewer attempts will give him the chance to surprise the D more as they will tend to move toward Hurd and Kamari every snap and lose their containment. Obviously I want to his yards per attempt increase and I want to see the staff work on routes that play to his strengths…since he average 27 passes per game, a 1 ypa increase would be huge.

With a good senior year, Dobbs will move into 5th place for passing yardage…but the stat I really want is an SEC Championship and I think he has the leadership skills and desire to guide us there next year…

Reactions: 48 people
thanks for doing your homework.....but I don't think serious VOL fans wanted to bench him specifically, they just wanted someone to step up......certainly Butch Jones and the play calling

Reactions: 6 people
I also do NOT think that there is any serious movement among Vol fans to bench Dobbs. It's just that when you see your QB miss 2 or 3 wide open receivers in the span of a few plays, it's difficult in that moment to think of the big picture.

We are obviously very lucky to have Dobbs and we should never take him for granted.

Reactions: 7 people
Benching Dobbs is a crazy idea. Anyone who actually thinks that this will benefit the team really needs to learn how to assess a situation before going on their impulsive typing rants. Which is the majority of VN members. IMO these are also the people who need to learn how to skim through the threads before posting a new thread. A good example is last week. All the "Mizzou is a must win threads" lololololol

Reactions: 2 people
Its not Dobbs, or even so much the coaches as it is the CoachING!

Like why we are the only D1 team in America that cannot or will not throw a fade to the corner when in the redzone??? TDs instead of 4 FGs?? :blink::blink:

Dobbs made one Hell of Run for a TD, that I thought was gonna be a yard loss, I have no issues with Dobbsy!! :rock:

But, even the commentators Saturday where mentioning the VERY conservative play calling on UT's part!

Just saying.

Reactions: 3 people
Overall I’d like to see Dobbs reduce his rushing attempts from 12/game to about 8/game. I think fewer attempts will give him the chance to surprise the D more as they will tend to move toward Hurd and Kamari every snap and lose their containment.

I think the staff were trying to do this at the start of the season and it didn't work out well. Dobb's greatest strength is his running. He's not small and has the knack to avoid the hard hits. I wouldn't mind if his running was reduced in the games we are heavily favored to win but in the big games I think we should call plays to his strength IMO.

Its not Dobbs, or even so much the coaches as it is the CoachING!

Like why we are the only D1 team in America that cannot or will not throw a fade to the corner when in the redzone??? TDs instead of 4 FGs?? :blink::blink:

Dobbs made one Hell of Run for a TD, that I thought was gonna be a yard loss, I have no issues with Dobbsy!! :rock:

But, even the commentators Saturday where mentioning the VERY conservative play calling on UT's part!

Just saying.

Coaching's been the issue all year. Some people are just ignorant of that and want to point at a lack of depth, injuries, or a few missed plays by players.

Reactions: 4 people
I don't fault Josh Dobbs for his lack accuracy because its about 11 players, and we are playing too many freshman and sophomores.

Like why we are the only D1 team in America that cannot or will not throw a fade to the corner when in the redzone???

Accuracy. We all know the old coaching cliche about the forward pass: There's three things can happen and two of them are bad.

Well, on a fade route with an inaccurate qb, you increase the chance of an overthrow (bad) or an under-throw which will almost always be an INT on a fade route (worse.)

Or hand it to Hurd/Kamara.

I'm good with conservative in the Mizzou game.

AV

Reactions: 10 people
Dobbs is a tough QB. I never expected him to make it thru the season uninjured especially the way the staff abuses his talents. Players have outplayed the coaching staff all season. There is no excuse for not allowing Hobbs to pass on 1st down instead of running into a stacked box twice then forcing a 3 and 10 throw. Our staff is good at highlighting our weakness instead of our strengths. It would be no different with another QB in there.

Dobbs has improved each year. I fully expect him to improve next year as well. Our oline will be stronger in 2016 and our wideouts will be healthier.

Dobb's is the man. I don't think a pocket passer could have survived this rebuilding phase. He's just a perfect fit for this team. Some folks just want change. Next year those folks will be crying for the new QB's coming in. I've seen Dormady play and he's just no where near ready for this team. Get the OLINE at the highest level and Dormady will be the man.

Reactions: 1 person
Dobb's is the man. I don't think a pocket passer could have survived this rebuilding phase. He's just a perfect fit for this team. Some folks just want change. Next year those folks will be crying for the new QB's coming in. I've seen Dormady play and he's just no where near ready for this team. Get the OLINE at the highest level and Dormady will be the man.

Well...as long as you've seen him. :eek:k:

Reactions: 4 people
My issue has never been Dobbs, I just think we should get the backup more game time reps. We are only 1 play away from having Dormady in the game and his reps this season have been super limited. Even when Dormady does get in the game all he gets to do is hand off. Run the game plan whether you are up 50 or down 50.

My issue has never been Dobbs, I just think we should get the backup more game time reps. We are only 1 play away from having Dormady in the game and his reps this season have been super limited. Even when Dormady does get in the game all he gets to do is hand off. Run the game plan whether you are up 50 or down 50.

Agree. Baylor's down to it's 3rd stringer and he's throwing 40+ yard TDs.

Reactions: 2 people
I think the staff were trying to do this at the start of the season and it didn't work out well. Dobb's greatest strength is his running. He's not small and has the knack to avoid the hard hits. I wouldn't mind if his running was reduced in the games we are heavily favored to win but in the big games I think we should call plays to his strength IMO.

Exactly. Dobbs' running ability is one of the main factors in him being the starter. If anything, his carry numbers should be higher. Then the play action and roll outs would cause the defense to think about him a bit more. But, of course, if he misses wide open receivers all of the set up is for naught

Just saying. Temper your expectations for next year, with this passing and coaching. That is until is proven different.

Screen plays and passes behind the line of scrimmage give Dobbs most of his yards. His inability to be accurate downfield severely limits this team. Apologize for him all you want, he's not accurate past 15 yards.

Reactions: 10 people
Accuracy. We all know the old coaching cliche about the forward pass: There's three things can happen and two of them are bad.

Well, on a fade route with an inaccurate qb, you increase the chance of an overthrow (bad) or an under-throw which will almost always be an INT on a fade route (worse.)

Or hand it to Hurd/Kamara.

I'm good with conservative in the Mizzou game.

AV

I've been good with conservative since the Bama game. It doesn't really matter now bc we're way too talented to lose to the teams past alabama. I just wish they would of allowed Dobbs to at least attempt fades and long passes against teams like BG and WCU bc it wouldn't matter if he got picked off. That would of given him some experience and confidence. Instead of trying one long ball the entire game against Oklahoma, and I don't even remember trying any against Florida, Arkansas, and Bama. And yes we all know he missed the long ball against Oklahoma.

I don't favor benching Dobbs, but I don't understand why after 3 years in the system he has still not figured out how to lead his receivers right. There is NO WAY it's just coaching - Dobbs is a subpar passer.

If he has a breakout year next year, expect billions of passing yards.

Regardless who the qb was at the time, when David Cutcliffe was here we were known as wide receiver U. Dobbs really doesn't have the overall quality of players as Cutcliiffes players (especially wide receiver). I saw a ton of those games when Cut was here. Those qb's launched the long ball constantly it seemed over half the time. Dobbs is not as consistent but none except for Tee Martin had his running skills. He was probably a better runner than Tee. But just look at the records in those days, 10 plus win seasons easily. We put a lot of players in the NFL as well on both sides of the ball.

Dobbs is accurate. He can throw accurate passes downfield. He is inconsistent sometimes. Two completely different things.

VN Store

Back