Eric Berry a year later

Fingers

Great article on Eric Berry. It's been one year this weekend since he was diagnosed. It's kinda long, but here's the ending.

As he absorbed six chemotherapy treatments, there were times Berry would later say he felt like he was dying.

There were days when just getting out of bed was a major goal as he found himself thinking he was battling himself every day, too.

Maybe the sheer duality of emotions for all was best embodied in the reaction of the twins.

“The twin that I thought was going to be the emotional one was fine. He just kept asking me, ‘Is it true? You sure? Really?’ ” Carol Berry said, without specifying which was which. “The other twin, the one who’s so tough, he broke down.”

As those opposing sentiments pulled at her, Carol kept turning to her religious faith and kept telling herself, “You can’t fall apart in a crisis.”

At least not all the time.

“I know people do,” she said, “but you’ve got to keep it going.”

So she’d reach back and do things like print and frame signs around the house banning negative energy. And she’d turn to friends and other NFL mothers for support.

It helped, too, to feel “the Chiefs Kingdom and the Vol Nation,” she said, covering and protecting them.

“We had to stay positive,” she said, “because so many people were looking to him for encouragement.”

It was one thing for Eric Berry to emerge from chemo a pound heavier than he had been, apparently bolstered by James Berry cooking him three meals a day.

It was another to be declared cancer-free on June 22.

It was quite another to be ready to play as fast as he was.

“I knew he’d be back in time for this year,” Carol Berry said, “but for training camp?!”

And showing ever since that he still has it in him to overtake about any opponent he encounters.

A year later, Eric Berry’s mother rejoices in his recovery | The Kansas City Star

Reactions: 14 people
Eric Berry is Unbreakable.

I saw EB inflicting some major hits on the Broncos last week that I hadn't seen since his Knoxville days. He looks like a pro-bowl player this year.

Reactions: 1 person
A true VFL family--God Bless the Berry clan, and huge props to Eric as he continues to take on life in pure Big Orange Beast mode!

Reactions: 1 person
Eric Berry is and will continue to be a huge inspiration for those diagnosed with cancer. I can't imagine what he and his family went through as I've never been around someone with cancer, but his sheer will and determination will be an example for those diagnosed.

Great read, Thanks for posting it.

He's a Berry good player and a Berry fine young man.

They are seriously a Berry good family.

We're all Berry blessed to have Berry family players at Tennessee.

May God bless them all.

#BrickbyBrick...VFL...GBO!!!

Eric Berry is a TRUE VFL. It was great when he was recognized at Neyland earlier this year. It was also awesome to watch him run the sidelines beside his brother returning one to the endzone. His battle and will cannot be contested.

VN Store

Back