Is my logic correct?

Volingatorland

I'm more of a hockey guy.
So I'm trying to figure out a situation where we're in the SECCG and this is the only situation I can think of barring any vacating/postseason bans for Florida in the wake of Grier.

We have to win out, that gives us a 7-2 SEC record
Georgia also wins out giving them a 7-2 SEC record
Florida loses to both LSU and by default, UGA in this scenario giving them a 7-2 SEC record.

If this tie were to happen, Georgia would have beaten Florida, and we would have beaten Georgia, making us the East team in the CG?

Is this right, or is there more to it than this? If so, please explain.

So I'm trying to figure out a situation where we're in the SECCG and this is the only situation I can think of barring any vacating/postseason bans for Florida in the wake of Grier.

Florida loses to both LSU and by default, UGA in this scenario giving them a 7-2 SEC record.

If this tie were to happen, Georgia would have beaten Florida, and we would have beaten Georgia, making us the East team in the CG?

the records would all be 6-2, and we'd finish 2nd behind FL because they beat us.

barring some miracle season saving wins being vacated....FL would need to lose 3 times. UGA, LSU and.....USC?

we'd have to win out.

3 way tie breaker would probalby go to FL b/c i think the first think they would go by is ranking.

I believe if we are all 6-2 with UF over us, UT over UGA, and UGA over UF then it goes to the highest ranked AP team.

Edit: I'm wrong rules are listed here:

http://www.secsports.com/article/11145479/sec-divisional-tie-breaker

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
the records would all be 6-2, and we'd finish 2nd behind FL because they beat us.

barring some miracle season saving wins being vacated....FL would need to lose 3 times. UGA, LSU and.....USC?

we'd have to win out.

If UGA beat UF they'd be ahead of them and we'd have a 3 way tie. I SIAP that it would then be the team with the highest AP poll position.

we'd have to win out.

3 way tie breaker would probalby go to FL b/c i think the first think they would go by is ranking.

If UGA beat UF they'd be ahead of them and we'd have a 3 way tie. I SIAP that it would then be the team with the highest AP poll position.
yeah, i know... :thumbsup:

UGA already has 2 SEC losses, Bama and UT. If they were to beat Fla, they'd still be a game behind.

Reactions: 1 person
In that scenario, we would probably be the highest ranked team with such a strong finish and the possibility of a FSU loss to end the season for FLA. We need some help tho. Of course it seems FLA maybe giving us some with this suspension...

This is from a SDS article last year. FWIW

Two-Team Tie
In the event two teams are tied for a division title, the following procedure will be used in the following order:
A. Head-to-head competition between the two tied teams;
B. Records of the tied teams within the division;
C. Head-to-head competition against the team within the division with the best overall (divisional and non-divisional) Conference record, and proceeding through the division (multiple ties within the division will be broken from first to last and a tie for first place will be broken before a tie for fourth place);
D. Overall record against non-divisional teams;
E. Combined record against all common non-divisional teams;
F. Record against the common non-divisional team with the best overall Conference record (divisional or non-divisional) and proceeding through other common non-divisional teams based on their order of finish within their division; and
G. Changed: Combined SEC record of the team’s cross-divisional opponents

Three-Team Tie (or more)
If three teams (or more) are tied for a division title, the following procedure will be used in the following order: (Note: If one of the procedures results in one team being eliminated and two remaining, the two-team tiebreaker procedure as stated in No. 1 above will be used):
A. Combined head-to-head record among the tied teams
B. Record of the tied teams within the division
C. Head-to-head competition against the team within the division with the best overall Conference record (divisional and non-divisional) and proceeding through the division (multiple ties within the division will be broken from first to last and a tie for first place will be broken before a tie for fourth place)
D. Overall Conference record against non-divisional teams
E. Combined record against all common non-divisional teams
F. Record against the common non-divisional team with the best overall Conference record (divisional and non-divisional) and proceeding through other common non-divisional teams based on their order of finish within their division; and

Reactions: 2 people
So now, let's throw in a possible post season ban for Florida. We're in strictly on being tied and having beaten UGA, yeah?

So now, let's throw in a possible post season ban for Florida. We're in strictly on being tied and having beaten UGA, yeah?
if that scenario were to exist, yes, we have the tie breaker over GA assuming we have the same conf. record.

We gotta hope Ol' Ball Coach receives an early retirement present when the Cocks beat FLA.
Assuming FLA loses to LSU and UGA and we win out.
C'mon Spurrier!!!!!

Reactions: 2 people
With Florida losing Grier for the season, they could. easily struggle losing to UGA and LSU. Us in a 3-way tie with UGA and UF for the east.....

Really wish we would've beaten Arky

your thoughts?

Reactions: 1 person

Here:

Three-Team Tie (or more)
If three teams (or more) are tied for a division title, the following procedure will be used in the following order: (Note: If one of the procedures results in one team being eliminated and two remaining, the two-team tiebreaker procedure as stated in No. 1 above will be used):
C. Head-to-head competition against the team within the division with the best overall Conference record (divisional and non-divisional) and proceeding through the division (multiple ties within the division will be broken from first to last and a tie for first place will be broken before a tie for fourth place)
F. Record against the common non-divisional team with the best overall Conference record (divisional and non-divisional) and proceeding through other common non-divisional teams based on their order of finish within their division; and

In that scenario, we would probably be the highest ranked team with such a strong finish and the possibility of a FSU loss to end the season for FLA. We need some help tho. Of course it seems FLA maybe giving us some with this suspension...

Rankings no longer factor as tiebreaker now that there's no more BCS.

That's incorrect. It's not highest ranking any longer. That was a tiebreaker put in to deal with the BCS (and it was highest in BCS rankings).

The SEC changed its setup on that before the playoffs system started.

If Florida loses to SC Their AP Rank is in the Gutter. Tennessee has better quality losses if that makes sense.

AP rankings aren't factored anymore.

Three-Team Tie (or more)

If UGA takes care of business going fwd they beat FLA and end with two losses in conf play. We have the head to head win.

If the above happens and FLA loses to LSU like they should we are in a three way tie with circle jerk head to head wins. Would need to look up tie breaker.

I don't see FLA losing to Vandy Mizcou or USCjr. Even with Harris.

So we need help and have suddenly become oddly enough big Bulldog fans!

If FLA is not allowed to participate in post season play then we win it.

The assumption here is we win out. That is tough with Bama up next. If we lose that one then we need another implosion out of UGA. The most likely one would be FLA but that only helps if they are disqualified from post season play.

While it can happen it does look like a long shot. But weirder things have happened and it's all moot until we see what NCAA might do with FLA as a program. I would guess the answer is not much until after the season unless they see something Bama class wise. I.E. Absolutely flagrant. Will have to see how it unfolds

I see this playing into UGA's more than ours at this point. If the team truly found out about it on Sunday and reported it immediately as it appears they did and if it was really OTC supplement with a banned PED then it's going to be open and shut case with Grier on the sideline for a calendar year. At least we won't face him next year that is about our only upside.

UGA still has to take care of business and beat FLA or the Gators still go to ATL though

none of it matters unless FL loses to LSU saturday....that has to happen first.

VN Store

Back