Having fun vs playing tight

gasguy98

Ih8themaroonwave
I have been seriously questioning out coaching staff for the apparent "choking" in the OK and FL games in particular. I know I am not the only one and many in the national media have been very critical.

Prior to the FL game I watched the on the field interview with McElwain and he seemed very relaxed and mentioned his players "having fun" at least once. His team has exceeded expectations.

On the other hand Jones and his staff certainly seem like they are "all business". They often appear nervous and uptight.

Question is:
Could the second half meltdowns be something as simple as guys on the field playing too tight? Do they want to win so bad they psych themselves out? Would it help they to just go out and "have fun"? Everyone that has competed in anything knows that being relaxed and having fun lead to the best performance while being nervous and scared of messing up leads to just that, big mistakes.

Reactions: 7 people
after a bit of reflection I do think there is more validity to the coaching / playing tight than I initially gave credence.

the "go out there and have fun" is 100% coach speak...McE will fillet a guy quicker than you can blink if they screw up....not that, that's a bad thing.

Coaching / being loose is easier when there is nothing on the line. McE is getting a free pass this year and he knows it. Now that they're 5-0 lets see how loose he coaches here on out.

Reactions: 1 person
I actually read an article on this very thing after the UF game. I can't recall the name of the site. But the author basically stated that Jones' players were a reflection of his 4th quarter demeanor. Uptight and highly stressed. I don't think it's that crazy of a theory. I'm not saying that's the reason they keep losing tight games, but I wouldn't rule it out as a contributing factor.

after a bit of reflection I do think there is more validity to the coaching / playing tight than I initially gave credence.

the "go out there and have fun" is 100% coach speak...McE will fillet a guy quicker than you can blink if they screw up....not that, that's a bad thing.

Coaching / being loose is easier when there is nothing on the line. McE is getting a free pass this year and he knows it. Now that they're 5-0 lets see how loose he coaches here on out.

That's a great point.

This is what I have been saying since the OK game. The Iowa bowl game our team was loose and from the Vol Walk until the last whistle blew you could tell that they were just having fun playing the game they loved! I haven't seen that since the bowl.

It was my hope that we would play with that heart and love of the game all season instead it seems we play scared to lose and just run out steam as well as heart when the games get tough in the 4th quarter.

I want to see the team fired up and energized only then will we see our true potential. GBO!!!!!

Reactions: 1 person
I have been seriously questioning out coaching staff for the apparent "choking" in the OK and FL games in particular. I know I am not the only one and many in the national media have been very critical.

Prior to the FL game I watched the on the field interview with McElwain and he seemed very relaxed and mentioned his players "having fun" at least once. His team has exceeded expectations.

On the other hand Jones and his staff certainly seem like they are "all business". They often appear nervous and uptight.

Question is:
Could the second half meltdowns be something as simple as guys on the field playing too tight? Do they want to win so bad they psych themselves out? Would it help they to just go out and "have fun"? Everyone that has competed in anything knows that being relaxed and having fun lead to the best performance while being nervous and scared of messing up leads to just that, big mistakes.

Spot on. I think this is a big issue. The whole team is playing tight. Players can get so afraid to mess up that they can't play.

Saw the interview and thought the EXACT SAME THING. Coach Jones is / was wound way too tight.

I agree as well. He looks tight (i think we've been wrongly calling it "focused", "all business").

The tight element may affect CBJ's creativity and decision making.

Les Miles is a moron who coaches loose and makes some amazing calls at game time.

FL is a pretty good team. I hate to say it. That QB is impressive!

Butch needs to chill and let his hair down.....nevermind. :thud: Seriously, it looks as if he is about to have a stroke when he is upset with the officials or an asst. coach. When someone is that irate, the thought process has to be very clouded and thinking clearly and rationally has to be out of the question.

Players are young inexpierenced and tigh as your first time, they will get loose after hard use.....

I am all for discipline and "business", but at some time you have to cut loose and relax.
Even in the most stressful of jobs, those that are successful learn to relax and have fun.

Jones needs to learn this...

So if this is something then it can be addressed. I saw an video of the '85 sugar bowl and it was Majors addressing the team during halftime. He told the team they were having more fun than Miami.

Jones seems more relaxed in the latest pressers. Sometimes this kind of adversity can lead people to indeed become looser because the "pressure is off" or they realize the worst is behind them. Psychology.

This is why I Never liked Muschamp (actually their are several reasons but this one is at the top of the list) I am all about being serious but it is more about concentration, but to act like your going to chew an arm off if someone misses a ball or does not execute a block... it is needed maybe every so often but not during 90% of a game.

Thought the same thing about McElwain. He seems to have a sense of humor, too. But so did Dooley.

Even Spurrier at his most pissed off seems more relaxed and natural and in control than CBJ.

Another thing I noticed in the Florida game, some of the team looked scared, or pensive if you prefer, when they ran on the field. Dobbs especially. I said right then, uh oh.

VN Store

Back