Underachieving WR U...what gives??!

UTVolWarrior98

Can somebody please tell me why none of our blue-chip 4/5 star WR recruits NEVER LIVE UP TO THEIR HYPE?? It seems other programs have no problem developing their WR's into superstars. Look at Laquon Treadwell of Ole Miss, Mike Evans when he was on A&M, Adoree Jackson & JuJu Smith of USC, and now Mr. Ridley of Alabama. Did you see that kid on Saturday against Georgia? He looked like a MAN on a mission, blazing their secondary and making grown-up catches! Why cant WE have that kind of breakout stud? EVER? Yeah, it looked like Marquez North was going to be that kind of player in 2013, but since then he has been non-existent granted injuries have been in the way, but still he's been a huge disappointment.

JOSH "TULIP" MALONE...DONT EVEN GET ME STARTED! This kid is soft and one of the biggest underachievers I can remember donning the orange. He plays scared, like hes surpised to be out on the field. He doesn't take command the way you'd think a 5 star recruit would his Freshman year. He just doesn't get it. The TD catch he had in the OK game...did you see his reaction after the ref put up his hands...he acted STUNNED like...oh my god I actually caught a TD pass wow! I don't know if he was overrated or if he just doesn't have the ballz to be a baller! Croom has been a waste of space too...its sickening. All this top-notch talent, and we have NO passing game. Its absurd, alarming and quite embarrassing. Azzani has no excuses here. If this same exact WR corp was coached by a brand-named coach, they'd all be first round draft picks.

Im just sick and tired of this unit underachieving and being a non-factor. Its inexcusable and change is needed if it doesn't improve!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Zach-Azzanni.jpg

Reactions: 15 people
North can't stay healthy, Malone is soft. Jennings is a freshman. Josh Smith is our best WR. And he still drops some balls

Azzani sucks. Many of us recognized it last year and talked about here. This year just solidified it.

He got a title upgrade and raise in the offseason. Solid evidence that Hart and Butch are clueless because even an idiot fan like me could tell our WR were poorly developed and mismanaged

Reactions: 4 people
I put a lot of blame on Dobbs as well. Let's not sugar coat it, he isn't very accurate. Go back and watch game tape if you don't believe me. It has conditioned our receivers to expect the pass to be off target

Malone is softer than charmin. He plays like a little tulip. Preston Williams SHOULD be the next superstar...like the ones I referred to in my original post. He is our last hope for greatness! DeAnthony Arnett....theres another prime example of another 4/5 star that amounted to SQUAT.

I put a lot of blame on Dobbs as well. Let's not sugar coat it, he isn't very accurate. Go back and watch game tape if you don't believe me. It has conditioned our receivers to expect the pass to be off target

Regardless these are major college receivers and shouldn't have to have the ball hit them in the numbers to make a catch.

Dobbs seems like a really good guy, but he's incredibly inaccurate with the football. Part of it is not having a legit QB coach and part of it is the nature of this style of offense. There's so much precision with the run game that there isn't enough time in practice devoted to developing as a passer. So he's essentially throwing the ball like he's playing street ball ala Tim Tebow/Johnny Manziel.

The other piece of it is the OLine. Dobbs has to have time to make a read and throw the ball. I don't think he trusts the OL either and he's rushing his throws, leading to inaccurate passes.

WRs can't do anything with the ball if it doesn't come to them or its so difficult to cafch all they can do is secure it and get tackled. That said, I don't see the WRs making an impact in any other facet including blocking or getting open. There's a lot of dysfunction with this offense, ultimately the coaches are responsible.

We need to drop the introduction Jones of WRU during the pregame line up introduction .. This gimmick is Embarrassing

Williams is the one dropping catchable balls. Very disappointing last week. Smith has been the backbone of the group. Think about that for a second.

Reactions: 3 people
Can somebody please tell me why none of our blue-chip 4/5 star WR recruits NEVER LIVE UP TO THEIR HYPE?? It seems other programs have no problem developing their WR's into superstars. Look at Laquon Treadwell of Ole Miss, Mike Evans when he was on A&M, Adoree Jackson & JuJu Smith of USC, and now Mr. Ridley of Alabama. Did you see that kid on Saturday against Georgia? He looked like a MAN on a mission, blazing their secondary and making grown-up catches! Why cant WE have that kind of breakout stud? EVER? Yeah, it looked like Marquez North was going to be that kind of player in 2013, but since then he has been non-existent granted injuries have been in the way, but still he's been a huge disappointment.

JOSH "TULIP" MALONE...DONT EVEN GET ME STARTED! This kid is soft and one of the biggest underachievers I can remember donning the orange. He plays scared, like hes surpised to be out on the field. He doesn't take command the way you'd think a 5 star recruit would his Freshman year. He just doesn't get it. The TD catch he had in the OK game...did you see his reaction after the ref put up his hands...he acted STUNNED like...oh my god I actually caught a TD pass wow! I don't know if he was overrated or if he just doesn't have the ballz to be a baller! Croom has been a waste of space too...its sickening. All this top-notch talent, and we have NO passing game. Its absurd, alarming and quite embarrassing. Azzani has no excuses here. If this same exact WR corp was coached by a brand-named coach, they'd all be first round draft picks.

Im just sick and tired of this unit underachieving and being a non-factor. Its inexcusable and change is needed if it doesn't improve!

Big man criticizing players who are playing for Tennessee. Do you really think he is not trying or wants to do his best for the Vols? Grow up. What we need are some upgraded fans.

Reactions: 3 people
OP are wideouts have underachieved but it is tough for a receiving corp to shine when we have an extremely difficult time throwing the ball.

After Dobbs' off season work with the WRs the passing game has shown no improvement. :no: :question:

From a fan of a rival team that couldn't figure out why our WRs were suddenly terrible, I present to you Zach Azzanni, who makes WRs disappear faster than a quick hitch route.

Also, finding a QB that can step into the pocket and make a sharp, accurate pass would help instead of relying on happy feet back there.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back