Not hiring people that could be better than you?

Dougie_D

I'm wondering if this is part of our problem regarding our staff.

Does our staff look up to Butch too much?

Is it possible that Butch hires people who don't bring much to the table because he rather be the one that holds all the "knowledge"?

He doesn't hire people that could one day take over his job because they are probably better at it?

This makes no sense. Why would a coach who wants to look good and keep his job hire people who make him look bad and result in his firing? Lol

Reactions: 11 people
This makes no sense. Why would a coach who wants to look good and keep his job hire people who make him look bad and result in his firing? Lol

Have you not read any of the garbage spewing out of this place this week? If you think logic is gonna be used, well, that's just illogical

Reactions: 8 people

Because for some people there has to be some nuanced reason we're in the gutter.........some people just can't grasp the simple fact that we hired a MAC level coach who is getting MAC level results on the field.

Reactions: 6 people

Since when did "making sense" get in the way of a good hand wringing outburst?

Is it possible that Butch hires people who don't bring much to the table because he rather be the one that holds all the "knowledge"?

He doesn't hire people that could one day take over his job because they are probably better at it?

(1) He likely hires from a pool of coaches that he personally knows and not from a pool that others may recommend.

(2) He likely hires coaches who have the same game philosophy as he does, so there are not any exhange of fresh ideas coming to the program.

Reactions: 4 people
Because for some people there has to be some nuanced reason we're in the gutter.........some people just can't grasp the simple fact that we hired a MAC level coach who is getting MAC level results on the field.

Actually no, a MAC team beat Arkansas

Reactions: 1 person
Seems like I saw Bill Gates say in an interview that he always tries to hire people smarter than himself.

He managed to achieve some moderate success that way. :blink:

PuppetMaster.jpg

(1) He likely hires from a pool of coaches that he personally knows and not from a pool that others may recommend.

(2) He likely hires coaches who have the same game philosophy as he does, so there are not any exhange of fresh ideas coming to the program.

This but #2 especially. Almost reminiscent of another coach we know.

:thud: Coach Jones made his first hiring mistake in coming to Tennessee by not considering the retention of Sam Pitman as offensive line coach...the only good thing Coach Derek Dooley did at Tennessee was to hire Pitman away from North Carolina. Pitman was happy at Tennessee and wanted to stay. Arkansas immediately jumped and hired Pitman who is responsible for the huge per man "pro" 325 pound offensive line...literally drove the Tennessee defensive line 5 yards backward on virtually every play in the game. That single hiring mistake by Coach Jones in not considering the retention of Sam Pitman will ultimately doom Coach Jones. A recent rating of the five (5) best assistant coaches in NCAA football had Lane Kiffin as #1 and Arkansas coach Sam Pitman as #3.

Is it possible that Butch hires people who don't bring much to the table because he rather be the one that holds all the "knowledge"??

I can't think of a single coach in the country who would be okay with the head coach running around practice, not just out-shouting everyone, but using a microphone and loud speakers to do it.

Think about your boss at work, would you like him or her doing that?

I guess Urban Meyer is a 'Mac level coach' since his first head coaching job was at Bowling Green U.

Don't challenge the status quo . If the boss is content, it will not change. Example: Pittman.

That's why I pursued a career where the status quo is challenged with every job presented. If you have a better/faster/cheaper way to complete something then by all means tell the boss.

:loco:On being hired as the Tennessee coach, Jones made the mistake of not considering the retention of Sam Pitman as the offensive line coach. Pitman was hired by Derek Dooly from North Carolina and was happy at Tennessee. Arkansas immediately hired Pitman and we all saw the results with his "pro" 325 pounds per man offensive line last Saturday. On a recent released list of the top 5 NCAA assistant coaches, Pitman was #3 while Lane Kiffin was #1. Where would Tennessee be today if Jones had retained Pitman?

VN Store

Back