Answers to TN football problems

tabrams

Supportin' the Cause
I'm going to post my opinion on our problems and the answers to them.

1. Our offense is not very good - the problem is poor passing, no top tier receivers, and a weak Oline
Solution - recruit better players

2. Our defense is not very good - lack of pass rush and poor against top running attacks and bad DBs....

3. Our special teams are really good but our place kicker is in a Slump....
Solution -recruit a better place kicker

I'm not trying to be sarcastic here Bc I really want to win these games that we lost. I do think some calls especially on defense and a few on offense were bad... The FL and OK games were such sissy calls on defense it was pitiful....
But were also a very overhyped team with very little depth and not nearly as much talent as folks believe....

I mean, most of our older players are average SEC players.....
But yet we are making them out to be all world...most of our best players and true freshmen or sophomores....

We just dont hv the talent and/ or experience yet in place and its going to take 2-3 more years minimum to lay this foundation down.

Next year is not our year.
It's going to be either 2017 or 2018 before we gun whip day aZz again.

You hv to recognize this and embrace this reality. If we Far Butch it only takes longer to get there. We don't hv the talent yet but Butch is good at recruiting.
The answer will be next year

This year we are a 7-5 squad...
Next year We shld be 8-4.....
In 2017 we will be 9-3 or 10-2.....
In 2018 we contend for the SEC.....

Right now we suck!

Accept it and embrace it and just know that we suck but suck less than 3 years ago!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
You do realize we should be 5-0 right now. We should have pistol whipped all three losses but we can't close. The talent is not the problem. The players aren't the problem. There were some severly blown schemes on both offense and defense that I'm hoping won't ever happen again.

Reactions: 17 people
You do realize we should be 5-0 right now. We should have pistol whipped all three losses but we can't close. The talent is not the problem. The players aren't the problem. There were some severly blown schemes on both offense and defense that I'm hoping won't ever happen again.

yeah but you can talk about scheme all you want until a fumble or interception happens at a critical moment. We could have "schemed" better according to you, but a busted play resulting in a turnover and you can forget schemes. I feel we are playing too much of "what if?" on this board.

So, we need a full compliment of redshirt senior all americans in the two deep to make it to the music city bowl? Sounds reasonable.

Reactions: 12 people

Well we shld hv beaten Ok and FL with 1 blitz each.... Arkansas actually beat us pretty badly.... I mean they just victimized us with their offense...

But we shld be 4-1 right now at the least, and 5-0 with better execution... I thought the players lost vs Ark more than the coaches honestly...

Reactions: 7 people
Well we shld hv beaten Ok and FL with 1 blitz each.... Arkansas actually beat us pretty badly.... I mean they just victimized us with their offense...

But we shld be 4-1 right now at the least, and 5-0 with better execution... I thought the players lost vs Ark more than the coaches honestly...

I didn't like the match up to begin with. I know Arkansas sucked and all about who they lost to etc but they are a ball control team. I thought if they could get things going and control the game it would turn out bad and it did.

1. Our offense is not very good - the problem is poor passing, no top tier receivers, and a weak Oline

2. Our defense is not very good - lack of pass rush and poor against top running attacks and bad DBs....

You could just as easily say better player development is the solution to those problems. Outside of Hurd, no other member of the 2014 class has shown much improvement from their freshman to sophomore seasons. Recruiting top talent is a waste if the coaches can't properly develop the players

Reactions: 6 people
Um. No. Ain't nobody waiting until 2018.

But, because you said to go recruit better players, I guess we should now. Great idea.

I'm not trying to be sarcastic here Bc I really want to win these games that we lost. I do think some calls especially on defense and a few on offense were bad... The FL and OK games were such sissy calls on defense it was pitiful....
But were also a very overhyped team with very little depth and not nearly as much talent as folks believe....

But yet we are making them out to be all world...most of our best players and true freshmen or sophomores....

We just dont hv the talent and/ or experience yet in place and its going to take 2-3 more years minimum to lay this foundation down.

You hv to recognize this and embrace this reality. If we Far Butch it only takes longer to get there. We don't hv the talent yet but Butch is good at recruiting.

Right now we suck!

Accept it and embrace it and just know that we suck but suck less than 3 years ago!

There is a lot of young talent here. The big problem is the seniors and junior classes are terrible. Obviously there are a couple good players but most sec teams have a majority of very talented juniors and seniors to lead and we dont. We having two upperclassmen on defense that would start on other sec teams Sutton and reeves maybin. On offense I don't think we have an upperclassman that would start on a good sec team except maybe dobbs. The fact that people can't see this is baffling to me. Butch has upgraded the talent a ton its just still young and inexperienced not to mention hasn't been in a college program for very long. We lose a couple games and everyone turns on the players and coaches and acts like we should be championship contenders by now. Everyone compares us to Florida but you do realize horse face inherited 10 times the talent butch did. This program was an absolute disaster before butch and this endless cycle of coaching changes will not help. As for the punch and all that nonsense soft is soft and if you can't take being yelled at in a d1 college football program go play f****** ping pong.

Reactions: 6 people
yeah but you can talk about scheme all you want until a fumble or interception happens at a critical moment. We could have "schemed" better according to you, but a busted play resulting in a turnover and you can forget schemes. I feel we are playing too much of "what if?" on this board.

Fair enough point. Against FL, if Medley's last FG is 10 inches to the left, we win. Against FL and OK, if our defense stops one 3rd/4th and long, we win.

Against AR, it's tough to say. Although, I think our last drive looks totally different if the score is 24-23, instead of 24-20. This year, Medley just loves him some goal post.

It kills me that people will go to bat for the guy making millions to mismanage a football program, but they will throw the players under the bus in a heartbeat. It's sickening. It happened with Dooley and it's happening with Butch. Top to bottom this is one of the best WR cores I've ever seen at Tennessee. If North, Pearson, and Malone were on the 07 squad we would have won the SEC. They're being criminally misused in this offense and it isn't just because of Josh Dobbs' shortcomings as a passer.

Reactions: 11 people
Lol. 2018?!

These get dumber by the second....

So Butch gets until year 6 to contend? ? ?

Florida just dismantled the number 3 team in the land and Tennessee got pointed at home by a 1-3 Arkansas, but you wasn't more time...

That is pathetic.

Reactions: 5 people

Right now we suck!

Well it is not 1980 anymore. Coaches either win or they don't. If they don't win in 3-4 years they must go, that is just the way it is now. Do you think a coach at Florida, Jawja, bammer, Ohio State or any "elite" program would survive the situation you put forth? Neither should we.

Reactions: 2 people
Fixing our program is easy:

Fire Cheek
Fire Hart
Fire that guy that claims to be a coach
Go hire a proven winner
Profit with wins

Reactions: 2 people
It kills me that people will go to bat for the guy making millions to mismanage a football program, but they will throw the players under the bus in a heartbeat. It's sickening. It happened with Dooley and it's happening with Butch. Top to bottom this is one of the best WR cores I've ever seen at Tennessee. If North, Pearson, and Malone were on the 07 squad we would have won the SEC. They're being criminally misused in this offense and it isn't just because of Josh Dobbs' shortcomings as a passer.

I have to disagree. Malone can't catch north is clearly banged up and Pearson seems to have trouble getting any separation. Our wrs are overrated and Dobbs is not helping things.

Right now we suck!

Maybe Butch and co should be your assistants and you can coach jmo

We were up 14-0. We blew...yet again...a 14 point lead which statistics tell us you SHOULD win most games when leading by 2 or more scores. So yes I do believe the Arky game was yet another example of us snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

VN Store

Back