For those that don't believe "It's a process"

ericberrydabeast

Had a bit of interesting info shared with me at work the other day. My boss, who is a big Michigan St. fan and grad, has been through this with Dantonio and look at them now, a national powerhouse year after year. He took it upon himself to figure up our average margin of defeat over the Butch era. The numbers are as follows:
2013- 24 pts
2014- 13.5 pts
2015 (so far)- 4 pts

To me that's improvement. It's all about learning how to win. I'll admit I was livid after the florida game but I've calmed down now. Give the man at least one more year and if no improvements next year then I'll help pack his bags. Flame away haters and GBO!

Reactions: 59 people
Florida says hi.

And any other school lucky enough to actually have a quality coach.

The fact that you are comparing losses should tell you all you need to know.

Some schools win. Others talk about being close.

Tennessee is the latter.

Reactions: 15 people
Had a bit of interesting info shared with me at work the other day. My boss, who is a big Michigan St. fan and grad, has been through this with Dantonio and look at them now, a national powerhouse year after year. He took it upon himself to figure up our average margin of defeat over the Butch era. The numbers are as follows:
2013- 24 pts
2014- 13.5 pts
2015 (so far)- 4 pts

To me that's improvement. It's all about learning how to win. I'll admit I was livid after the florida game but I've calmed down now. Give the man at least one more year and if no improvements next year then I'll help pack his bags. Flame away haters and GBO!

So what exactly took you from "livid" to accepting of these results? A third two score lead that was blown in another loss at home to an SEC opponent?

So if someone else comes along and presents to you, say, Ron Zook's statistics that could be comparable to CBJ, will you start another thread to help justify to yourself every is now...not ok?

Reactions: 1 person
I watched the movie the Replacements and know this to be completely and utterly false.

Additionally, I play XBOX and have concrete proof that I am turn a team into a nationals championship in one year.

With all due respect, you're wrong.

Reactions: 10 people
2013- 24 pts
2014- 13.5 pts
2015 (so far)- 4 pts

While I agree with you, you are going to be flayed. Most fans these days wants instant gratification and they believe running Butch out of town and starting over again is somehow going to make us champions next season.

Reactions: 12 people
We have now mastered the art of losing. We've coverered so much ground since this adventure started.

to Wyoming
with too many men
after we'd been declared the winner
boob blocks
opponent winning after a penalty
after having to waste a TO due to our new rule from above
after a torrential rain storm
after losing our star WR for year
after losing our star LB to rape charges
to a WR as QB
1 pt loss at home
1pt loss on road
triple OT
by a team that lost to Toledo

and countless blowouts for any number of additional reasons

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 people
Btw we just lost to an Arky team at home that is signicantly less talented than us.

Even Dooley's classes were superior to anything Arky was doing

Reactions: 5 people
2013- 24 pts
2014- 13.5 pts
2015 (so far)- 4 pts

To me it's 2-3...

Reactions: 2 people
2013- 24 pts
2014- 13.5 pts
2015 (so far)- 4 pts

I've said similar things on other posts. Choosing to focus on the process, lead metrics and things you can control, is fine provided that they eventually deliver the end goal (wins). If you hit the goals you were focusing on the right things. If not you were simply focusing on items that don't lead to success. At some point you have to ultimately deliver the end result or you lose your job in any business. The question becomes when do you shift the focus from the lead to the lag: 3, 4, 5, 6 years? I think we come to the cliff near the end of 3.

I think it's funny everyone is falling over themselves for whittingham (another mid major coach). You know how long it took him to make UTAH what they are? Like ten years.

Reactions: 6 people
do you people ever get tired of being negative? I bet you guys are barrels of fun to hang out with.

I'm laughing about it. If I told you when we lost to Wyoming that wouldn't even be the tip of the iceberg of bad what would you have said?

Everyone said the same stuff about Bobby Bowden they say about jones now. Took him a while to get it going. They weren't sure he could get over the hump and win at that level. You don't just step on the field and expect to win. I don't care who you are.

Up until recently I enjoyed reading VolNation....but you whiney-butts and cry babies have just gone a little overboard for me.

Now when I come on here, I get depressed. Some of you need to stop posting and some of you need your medication doses increased.

I am not coming back here until after the UGA game. Its just too depressing. I love the Vols...always have...always will. Butch may not be the man long-term and if he isn't then we will have to deal with it. Suck it up boys!

GO VOLS. BEAT THE "Obama" out of the Dogs. :pepper:

We haven't been remotely competitive with many power programs for quite a while now, even tho they're still losses, we are getting closer!! Need some more depth and experience to finish out strong. It'll happen...soon!!

2013- 24 pts
2014- 13.5 pts
2015 (so far)- 4 pts

Yes, because losing by less is improving. Good God! It's sad that we gauge our improvement on margin of defeat. No, what's sad is that people are ok with that. I mean most programs judge their level of improvement on how many more freakin games they won than last. Nope not us, we're improving because we are only losing by 4 pts per game as compared to 13.5 last year. Freaking unbelievable!

Reactions: 10 people
Guys Butch just needs more time, give him 8-10 years and we're gonna start winning the national championship every year. In the meantime, don't pay any attention to all these losses or coaching decisions, its all part of the plan.

Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back