What is CBJ's biggest shortcoming so far?

UT Hill Man

I ♥ Big Jugs
Our QB talent pool sucks. It's 3 years into his UT career and he doesn't have a quarterback he can count on to pick up a first down with his arm when the pressures on. That's why we can't close out games.

That's what I would say.

Reactions: 3 people
Probably being a simple salesman who can sell the hell out of some cutco but not coach on gameday

Completely agree. Between two true freshman QBs, a good looking 2016 commit, and possibly the top 2017 QB commit in the country I think he's going to be okay long term. He just really needs one right now. Sadly, Riley Ferguson is looking like the top JUCO QB in the country. I'm always inclined to say we should recruit Riley, and give these young guys time to develop. Doubt he'd come back.

I think we're going to be fine under CBJ. He was left with absolutely nothing at QB by either of the previous staffs. It's too bad Dobbs hasn't been better, particularly with his mechanics as smart as he is.

his unwillingness to change as the game or moment does. I don't even think this is a close contest.

Reactions: 2 people
His biggest shortcoming is player development. We now have SEC level talent at just about every position, yet you can't tell it by their play on the field. Several poition groups, most notaby WR, LB, and the secondary seem to have regressed.

Reactions: 3 people
Play Calling and he gets too conservative at points in the game. To be fair with Dobbs, they had planned to RS him the last 2 years, but injuries, transfers and bad QB play have derailed that plan.

Our QB talent pool sucks. It's 3 years into his UT career and he doesn't have a quarterback he can count on to pick up a first down with his arm when the pressures on. That's why we can't close out games.

That's what I would say.

That's hard to say as we really haven't seen meaningful snaps from Dormady. He definitely isn't struggling to recruit QB's between Guarantano and Johnson with a shot at Lawrence.

1) He has been too insular in hiring staff and is showing loyalty to them to a fault.
2) Clock management with a lead. Specifically, continuing to run the hurry up in the 4th quarter with a two possession lead.

There's a fine balance between being intense and being too tight.... between being disciplined and being stubborn... between being self-confident and too proud.

Right now, I'd say Jones is on the wrong side of all three.

Jones has had attrition by guys who couldn't conform to the program... I wonder how much the program would have had to bend to keep those guys? Hendrix and Helm would be handy right now.

The other thing is that his offensive system seems to be too difficult. Here in the third year, they are limited in what they can run because they can't execute it.

Harping a little but UF's players may lack a little in real talent but are executing McElwain's system pretty well.

Supposedly Clawson's system was so complex the players could not learn and execute it... I wonder if that's the case now too?

Reactions: 2 people
his unwillingness to change as the game or moment does. I don't even think this is a close contest.

If not for this, all the other shortcomings wouldn't be nearly as noticeable. His plan is THE plan, and he clings to it for 60 minutes. Games are fluid, and plans need to be.

Delusions of grandeur which has manifested itself in his selection of assistant coaches and game day decision making. If he could have a come to Jesus moment he could turn this around and be very successful.

Game day decision making, no killer instinct when up on a team, poor play calling, overselling Dobbs as CEO/quarterback, lack of integrity and lack of focus on developing the offensive line.

This is the shortlist for starters.

Completely agree. Between two true freshman QBs, a good looking 2016 commit, and possibly the top 2017 QB commit in the country I think he's going to be okay long term. He just really needs one right now. Sadly, Riley Ferguson is looking like the top JUCO QB in the country. I'm always inclined to say we should recruit Riley, and give these young guys time to develop. Doubt he'd come back.

I think we're going to be fine under CBJ. He was left with absolutely nothing at QB by either of the previous staffs. It's too bad Dobbs hasn't been better, particularly with his mechanics as smart as he is.

Keep losing and those guys will start to look around and will sign with someone else.:good!:

Keep losing and those guys will start to look around and will sign with someone else.:good!:

Hunter Johnson is not going anywhere regardless of what happens. I don't know as much about Guarantano but I doubt he de-commits either.

2_3910275.jpg

Reactions: 5 people
I have to admit... your ability to turn any discussion into an opportunity to make excuses shows great creativity.

All you guys are doing is starting the same thread over and over again with no other purpose than to trash butch jones. You couldn't have started a thread about what he did right could you? That would have been much more interesting, but would not have served your agenda. No you just need to feel better about yourselves

VN Store

Back