Could the turmoil this week bring the team together?

Eddie Vol Halen

Senior Life Champion
We've got nothing to be positive about. The rumor mill has started, the fact that Butch wasn't miked up at practice is not a good sign this week, we've blown three games in which we've had two TD leads. Azzani as passing game coordinator might should just pass out into the Gatorade on the sidelines. Jancek's squad has regressed and has only 1 SEC ready linebacker. Debord has done zip nada in the second half of proper games. It's clear Butch is right now out of his depth on Saturdays playing Top 15 football. Dave Hart is still the AD. It's a dark, dark time for Vol fans.

Could this be the week that we pull it all together? Could the bunker mentality be just the thing this team needs? Could we come out loose with nothing to lose and play some damn football? Might we just pull it all together finally?

I don't know if that beats Alabama, and I think 8 - 4 is disappointing (still have to beat MO, KY, SC) and two losses too many. But if we win this week, can we salvage the season?

I like Butch and I want him to succeed. With Dave Hart in the AD, we need him to succeed. I'm giving it one more chance: sometimes you get stronger in the broken places. Let's beat Georgia and get back on track!

Reactions: 4 people
I hope that this turmoil has galvanized the team together, however, I think it just as likely that they have mailed it in.

We will know which one it is come Saturday afternoon.

Reactions: 2 people
We've got nothing to be positive about. The rumor mill has started, the fact that Butch wasn't miked up at practice is not a good sign this week, we've blown three games in which we've had two TD leads. Azzani as passing game coordinator might should just pass out into the Gatorade on the sidelines. Jancek's squad has regressed and has only 1 SEC ready linebacker. Debord has done zip nada in the second half of proper games. It's clear Butch is right now out of his depth on Saturdays playing Top 15 football. Dave Hart is still the AD. It's a dark, dark time for Vol fans.

Could this be the week that we pull it all together? Could the bunker mentality be just the thing this team needs? Could we come out loose with nothing to lose and play some damn football? Might we just pull it all together finally?

I don't know if that beats Alabama, and I think 8 - 4 is disappointing (still have to beat MO, KY, SC) and two losses too many. But if we win this week, can we salvage the season?

I like Butch and I want him to succeed. With Dave Hart in the AD, we need him to succeed. I'm giving it one more chance: sometimes you get stronger in the broken places. Let's beat Georgia and get back on track!

Careful , your fandom may get called into question but not by me. :thumbsup:

Yes

The turmoil has also allowed the team to get away from the on field performance issues

All the talk has been crowder gate.

That's good for the team IMO

How could any of the people on this site know, "they have mailed it in"? Unless someone on here is a manager, player, coach, trainer or fly on the wall, that kind of crap is vile slander. Talk about a 2pt conversion choice or stupid slogans or talent depth or whatever but I think it is criminally offensive for anybody to make a statement that the players have mailed it in. College athletics at this lever is very, very difficult and it sucks to lose. If you mail it in on an SEC football field on a Saturday in the fall you will get broken in half and humiliated for a week until it happens again on the next Saturday, so I don't think that is happenin'. Mail in your Vol card....Go Big Orange!

Loosening up and just playing football would help a lot but I don't think that's how Butch rolls.

I hope I don't run in to anyone of the puss ass posters that have came out of the woodwork over this crap. I'll be having an altercation of my own. How our fan base isn't the dumbest in the country is a hard argument, people were predicting 8-4 preseason and now that we've lost to two undefeated teams and a good arky program they lose all rational thought, and we were in a position to win every game. Completely ridiculous

Reactions: 5 people
If 8-4 is a disappointment, you drank way too much orange koolaid. The schedule is very tough, even for a team without our issues and glaring abundance of youth. Toss in a few key injuries and you've got yourself a recipe for competing for the Liberty Bowl berth. Many fans like to call these excuses. Others call them reality. And the reality is, 8-4 would be a huge success for this team whether considered at the season's onset or especially now given where the team is. I give you that any loss is a disappointment, in particular when it occurs in a winnable game such as all three of the team's losses have been. But being disappointed with less than 9 wins is a result of setting yourself up for, well, disappointment.

Reactions: 3 people
Orangewayoflife and volhogs, thank you for having common sense and understanding the game of football!

Freak, time to start charging to post on this site!! Then the riftraft could stay on twitter!

How could any of the people on this site know, "they have mailed it in"? Unless someone on here is a manager, player, coach, trainer or fly on the wall, that kind of crap is vile slander. Talk about a 2pt conversion choice or stupid slogans or talent depth or whatever but I think it is criminally offensive for anybody to make a statement that the players have mailed it in. College athletics at this lever is very, very difficult and it sucks to lose. If you mail it in on an SEC football field on a Saturday in the fall you will get broken in half and humiliated for a week until it happens again on the next Saturday, so I don't think that is happenin'. Mail in your Vol card....Go Big Orange!

Context not your strong suit?

Reread:

I hope that this turmoil has galvanized the team together, however, I think it just as likely that they have mailed it in.

And for the record, Dooley's team mailed it in at the end of year 2, and again halfway through year 3. Players have admitted as much.

The current turmoil will sidetrack the players. High hopes have turned to misery. I just wish the video would surface, or be put to rest. ESPN is running the story now. That will kill recruiting. And if the video does surface with CBJ striking a player, he should be immediately terminated. Surely his contract has some stipulations.

Reactions: 1 person
Yes, it could. It's up to the players.

The past two years, we were supposed to get blown out by Georgia, and we nearly won. Pig reaching for the pylon is just another of our tortuous losses.

lets face it we set the bar too damn high, simple as that. I will take 8-4 and say its a successful season for sure. Beat Georgia and things get interesting, besides the key is to lose early and win late. Go vols

lets face it we set the bar too damn high, simple as that. I will take 8-4 and say its a successful season for sure. Beat Georgia and things get interesting, besides the key is to lose early and win late. Go vols

If we get to 8-4, it would be shocking at this point. I mean, look how we have played. 8-4 means you beat everyone else remaining on the schedule minus bama. Tall order if things do not change for the better quickly.

You're right.

I think this game will determine if they've mailed it in. If they have, we may be looking at a historic season for all the wrong reasons - 8 losses. :shudder:

Reactions: 1 person
Orangewayoflife and volhogs, thank you for having common sense and understanding the game of football!

Freak, time to start charging to post on this site!! Then the riftraft could stay on twitter!

This could be a smartphone error, but regardless, the "riftraft" should join the VN legendary lexicon:

* Escape Goat

* Pocket Presents

* Pre-Madonna

* RiftRaft

I bet some of the team feel like they're on the riftraft.

200200432-002.jpg

Reactions: 2 people
Honestly I think the way this game plays out decides if the wheels are coming off. If we show fight against Georgia then he hasn't lost them. But if we are blown out. This could be our first 8 loss team.

If 8-4 is a disappointment, you drank way too much orange koolaid. The schedule is very tough, even for a team without our issues and glaring abundance of youth. Toss in a few key injuries and you've got yourself a recipe for competing for the Liberty Bowl berth. Many fans like to call these excuses. Others call them reality. And the reality is, 8-4 would be a huge success for this team whether considered at the season's onset or especially now given where the team is. I give you that any loss is a disappointment, in particular when it occurs in a winnable game such as all three of the team's losses have been. But being disappointed with less than 9 wins is a result of setting yourself up for, well, disappointment.

Agreed. 7-5 and a possible 8-4 was exactly where I pegged this team. Less than 7 wins will be a disappointment and certainly underachieving.

By "this turmoil", do you mean since Oklahoma game?

GO VOLS!

Maybe they're trying something different which is what we've all been clamoring for. All of this is will either pull the team apart or pull it together! Hope it's the latter!

I would be happy with 8-4 which seems to go along with at lot of others on Volnation. I just don't know how we get there based on what I've seen so far.

VN Store

Back