Thoughts on winning the toss and taking the ball?

AndyMizunogolfer

Did anyone else think it seemed odd we took the ball? Kinda seemed like the coaches didn't have a good feeling about the game. I mean I guess it ended up working considering EB ran it back. Although would have been nice to have the ball starting the 3rd.

I want it at the start AND at the start of the second half... Yes, I am Greedy!

I was surprised. But, I thought it was an attempt to set the tone offensively. That we intended to come out aggressive offensively. Of course, Berry screwed it up and ran the kickoff for a TD!

The other reason I thought was to keep Arkansas and that huge O line from starting strong and setting the pace they wanted to play.

I liked the decision and I usually vote for deferring. It didn't really matter but I felt in this game, after the FL debacle, we wanted to come out strong.

Reactions: 1 person
I want it at the start AND at the start of the second half... Yes, I am Greedy!

I remember the 2007 Bama game when Saban pulled an onside kick to start the game....and recovered. So they got it to start the game and to start the 2nd half. Bama drilled the Vols that game as well.

Butch needs to grow a set and take some shots like this from time to time. Heck even Doofus did it to him against Cincy and it worked to perfection. DO SOMETHING TO ENERGIZE THE PLAYERS AND FANS BUTCH. :good!:

I was puzzled by the decision. The fact that EB took it to the house made it a great call. And the way it worked out with the game starting on SECN then switching over to ESPN2, I was able to delete the game from my dvr but keep the kick return.

There are interesting and innovative ways to try and get and edge. Is receiving the ball at the start one of them? Is there any statical analysis on this?

I like deferring so you can have the ball coming out of the second half. I think against Arkansas the thought was get out to a lead and make them chase us but we didn't build on the lead so they could stick to the methodical pounding drives.

Are we really debating the opening toss? Smh

I didn't take it as a "there goes Butch again" as it is just a discussion and something we normally do not do. This shouldn't turn into a dumb coaching decision thread.

I didn't take it as a "there goes Butch again" as it is just a discussion and something we normally do not do. This shouldn't turn into a dumb coaching decision thread.
Coaching aside, I still think it's ridiculous

I found it odd to take the ball at home. Usually, you take it on the road. But what do I know? I would have accepted penalties on defense, too.

I remember the 2007 Bama game when Saban pulled an onside kick to start the game....and recovered. So they got it to start the game and to start the 2nd half. Bama drilled the Vols that game as well.

Butch needs to grow a set and take some shots like this from time to time. Heck even Doofus did it to him against Cincy and it worked to perfection. DO SOMETHING TO ENERGIZE THE PLAYERS AND FANS BUTCH. :good!:

Yes, I remember that UT/AL game and I said at the time that UT would not beat AL despite being heavily favored to win (ranked top-10 I believe) and Fulmer never beat Saban. Why? Saban was completely out of his reach.

Maybe he saw something on the return game that he wanted to exploit asap. That was my opinion.

Yes, I remember that UT/AL game and I said at the time that UT would not beat AL despite being heavily favored to win (ranked top-10 I believe) and Fulmer never beat Saban. Why? Saban was completely out of his reach.

He actually did. Once in 2001.

Frankly, I think the ref crew ****ed up. I understood ark actually won the toss and deferred and Tennesee took the ball but the ref motioned that tennessee won the toss and took the ball. Dobbs shook his head when the ref padded his shoulder but it all came out right.

I was at the game so I might be wrong but I was trying to watch it on the screen while some clown with 2 Petros tried to walk by. :mf_surrender:

I've all ways been a take the ball and score first type,that doesn't mean it is the right decision though :)

When things aren't working....mix it up a bit. Some would say he's trying something different. Others would say he's grasping at straws. Really don't think there's much we can do with this roster. We don't have the OL to play a power running game. We can't pass the ball. Defense can't stop anyone. We're getting all we can with our current roster/staff. I'm not expecting much better.

At this point, we probably need to hope the staff can build on Dobbs, Hurd and Kamara in the run game. Dobbs is going to have to become more consistent running the ball. Be more like Ga Tech. Run, run, run and occasionally take a shot going over the top with the pass. Depend on your special teams and field position. Who knows.....they might turn this thing around. Stranger things have happened.

Frankly, I think the ref crew ****ed up. I understood ark actually won the toss and deferred and Tennesee took the ball but the ref motioned that tennessee won the toss and took the ball. Dobbs shook his head when the ref padded his shoulder but it all came out right.

I was at the game so I might be wrong but I was trying to watch it on the screen while some clown with 2 Petros tried to walk by. :mf_surrender:

I'm not a clown. My face just has an unfortunate birthmark that looks like paint. I'd appreciate it of you were a little sensitive.

Fulmer did it once against Florida and they took the ball and scored a TD and the game was over fairly quickly. Think it was 96? He never did after that! If he won the toss, he took the ball!

I am not saying that it changed the outcome of the game or that it was the wrong call. Heck we scored off it. Just seemed like maybe the coaches felt that AR was a bad match up for us. It ended up being correct. Our D couldnt stop them.

VN Store

Back