An outsider's opinion

ZippyMorocco

I'm a Dawg fan, but have no hatred for UT. It's just another SEC opponent like Vandy or LSU. The reason is I am old. We rarely played UT until the first expansion, and UT wasn't/isn't on my hate list like Yech, the lizards, and the Barn. The only incident I can recall was when UT changed to artificial turf, and failed to notify their opening game opponent, UGA. This infuriated our AD, Dr. Eaves, and he pulled the plug on scheduling UT for a while.
So, I think my opinion is unbiased.

I have read many message boards for quite some time, and there is one universality. When a team is having a disappointing season, fans almost always believe they have great talent, and that the problem is coaching. They are almost never willing to concede that their talent isn't good enough. I have read here that UT has great talent. I don't think so. I think you have some really good players, but not enough of them.

Take Hurd for example. IMO, he is an I formation tailback playing in a spread. He needs to run between the tackles with a fullback leading the way. I think Kamara is more suited to the spread. Hurd is good, but I don't think the scheme fits him. That is just one example. I could go on, but I will leave that to you.

But, I think your situation is an anomaly. You also have a coaching problem. From the beginning I thought Jones was a snake oil salesman. Then we have his hires. Debord was a real head scratcher. Then he hired Jancek and Martinez. Martinez is actually a good DB coach, or was. The Jancek hire made no sense. IMO, Butch wants yes men.
So, I think UT is screwed for the short term.

Having said all of this, I expect UT to open a can of whoopass on my Dawgs. :p

Reactions: 20 people
I hate you for comparing us to Vandy. But, you are redeemed by suggesting Hurd is suited to running out of the I.

Reactions: 1 person
...I thought Jones was a snake oil salesman. Then we have his hires. Debord was a real head scratcher. Then he hired Jancek and Martinez. Martinez is actually a good DB coach, or was. The Jancek hire made no sense. IMO, Butch wants yes men...

Jones seems to want puppets as assistants. His snake oil is certified 100% snake oil. It seems that his recruits are based on some rating system and not designed to fit needs. Otherwise, there is little excuse for being forced to play a walk-on at MLB. However, he IS our snake oil salesman! Leave it to us and we won't badmouth your snake oil salesman that seems unable to win with a full roster of outstanding talent.

Reactions: 5 people
Well, thank you. I agree with you. Tennessee is lacking talent and maturity in several areas. The offensive line lacks talent.

The wide receivers often appear talentless but I think that is more about their youth.

Either way thanks for the opinion.

I'm a Dawg fan, but have no hatred for UT. It's just another SEC opponent like Vandy or LSU. The reason is I am old. We rarely played UT until the first expansion, and UT wasn't/isn't on my hate list like Yech, the lizards, and the Barn. The only incident I can recall was when UT changed to artificial turf, and failed to notify their opening game opponent, UGA. This infuriated our AD, Dr. Eaves, and he pulled the plug on scheduling UT for a while.

I have read many message boards for quite some time, and there is one universality. When a team is having a disappointing season, fans almost always believe they have great talent, and that the problem is coaching. They are almost never willing to concede that their talent isn't good enough. I have read here that UT has great talent. I don't think so. I think you have some really good players, but not enough of them.

Take Hurd for example. IMO, he is an I formation tailback playing in a spread. He needs to run between the tackles with a fullback leading the way. I think Kamara is more suited to the spread. Hurd is good, but I don't think the scheme fits him. That is just one example. I could go on, but I will leave that to you.

But, I think your situation is an anomaly. You also have a coaching problem. From the beginning I thought Jones was a snake oil salesman. Then we have his hires. Debord was a real head scratcher. Then he hired Jancek and Martinez. Martinez is actually a good DB coach, or was. The Jancek hire made no sense. IMO, Butch wants yes men.

Uhm, don't take this the wrong way, but why the F would we have to notify your AD we were putting in turf? On top of that, its not like it was done in secret in the middle of the night. it was known the whole off season. Thats a really odd thing to pull out of the blue.

Reactions: 7 people
Jones seems to want puppets as assistants. His snake oil is certified 100% snake oil. It seems that his recruits are based on some rating system and not designed to fit needs. Otherwise, there is little excuse for being forced to play a walk-on at MLB. However, he IS our snake oil salesman! Leave it to us and we won't badmouth your snake oil salesman that seems unable to win with a full roster of outstanding talent.

I didn't mean to be derogatory. That wasn't my intent.

Reactions: 3 people
Uhm, don't take this the wrong way, but why the F would we have to notify your AD we were putting in turf? On top of that, its not like it was done in secret in the middle of the night. it was known the whole off season. Thats a really odd thing to pull out of the blue.
The internet didn't exist. Blogs didn't exist. 24/7 coverage didn't exist.

Reactions: 4 people

I agree with you 100% I also wish Kamara would be more involved in the game plan. I do like him in the return game but aside from that, I think with his explosiveness, he needs to touch the ball 20 times, in the least. He is one juke or move away from taking it to the house when he gets the rock. His lack of touches is bothersome, especially with Pig out.

Because you have to wear different style of cleats for turf vs. grass.

Reactions: 2 people
You say that Hurd is better suited for I formation and Kamara is better for spread. You may be right, but that cuts against your argument that coaching isn't the crux of the problem. Hurd has been easily more productive than Kamara. And there's no question that on paper, we have some of the best "talent" in the country at WR. But they consistently underperform. Again, that points to coaching. Any other head man in the SEC would take any of our WRs in a straight up trade. Azzani isn't developing them.

Reactions: 8 people
You say that Hurd is better suited for I formation and Kamara is better for spread. You may be right, but that cuts against your argument that coaching isn't the crux of the problem. Hurd has been easily more productive than Kamara.

Of course, Hurd has run the ball 105 times this season, to Kamara's 38...

You say that Hurd is better suited for I formation and Kamara is better for spread. You may be right, but that cuts against your argument that coaching isn't the crux of the problem. Hurd has been easily more productive than Kamara. And there's no question that on paper, we have some of the best "talent" in the country at WR. But they consistently underperform. Again, that points to coaching. Any other head man in the SEC would take any of our WRs in a straight up trade. Azzani isn't developing them.
I didn't say that coaching wasn't the problem. Please read what I said.

I am done commenting now. I tried to give you my unbiased opinion. Take it for what it is worth.

Thank you for your review. I agree with you on almost all the points. I agree that we should dump this read option and go pro style offense. I also agree that Debored was a yes man hire to call CBJ's offense the way he wanted it called. Oh and the two UT Georgia games in Ga that I have attended, I was always treated well by your fans. I can't say that about the Bamers!

Reactions: 2 people
I am not much for the spread myself either, but I am just a fan.. what do I know. The Pro-style would be well suited for us If.. we had a powerful O-line

I dont quite understand what you are saying. Specifically with Hurd. He is talented but not talented enough for this scheme? Or are the coaches not scheming to what the players are talented at. I think with Hurd Kamara and Dobbs in the back field and no real threat of a passing game we would see a ton of triple option. A ton of dink and dunk over the middle passes to the likes of Von Pearson who has proven to be an athlete in the slot

Dog-fan -

Classy post; thanks for posting. UT and UGA are always in a "dog-fight" it seems often until the very end.

Having played/watched football since the early 70's, you're exactly right about Hurd. He is an I-formation back.

I don't think we utilize nearly enough of our weapons b/c our coaches either can't scheme correctly or b/c they're too d..ned wed to their playing philosophies. To h3ll with your philosophies if they don't work. Just win baby should be the creed.

The best coaches look to win (in any way possible) with the talent they have on the field. Change is never easy, many like to stick with "what they know". Unfortunately, time isn't always your friend in such situations when "what you know" as a coach isn't working.

Unless Butch turns in a 8-4 season, I fully expect our '16 recruiting class to be sub-15 and in the SEC, that isn't nearly good enough.

Dogs by 17 :cray:

I didn't say that coaching wasn't the problem. Please read what I said.

I am done commenting now. I tried to give you my unbiased opinion. Take it for what it is worth.

You will have to forgive this fan base, we are sick and tired of losing games against the good teams. Obviously, we are very agitated right now.

I will give you my opinion now. Its COACHING! That being said, Butch has time to correct his mistakes and get this team over the hump. I hope he does, starting with UGA. Then hopefully you guys will fire Richt and hire a Muschamp or Dooley or Shula :p

VN Store

Back