Is Debord the new Dave Clawson?

TNTechVol

Morning Thunder
Dave Clawson came in and royally screwed up the offense in 2008. Has Debord done the same thing? Dobbs is now no longer a threat to run. Not using his legs makes hima a mediocre QB. It's like removing the teeth from a guard dog.

Reactions: 1 person
Clawson was a successful head coach before and after his time at UT. I see very few similarities between the 2 unless Butch is not giving Debord any support either

Reactions: 2 people
In Clawson's defense he really didn't have the players to run his system and the sample size was too small to tell. But this is year 3 of Butch Jones system and its still not working, so I wouldn't put it all on Coach Debord.

Reactions: 3 people
I know there are problems, but come on. Anyone remember the Clawfense? Debord dropped almost 300 yds rushing against UF in the swamp. Anybody see what they did to Ole Miss the next week?

We should do better, but this year ain't as bad as the year of the Claw.

AV

I would say he is worse. Much worse.

Clawson was installing an entirely new offensive system and changing the fundamental philosophy of the offense.

The whole point of bringing DeBord in was so that the system would NOT have to be changed and could continue to focus on player development.

As we have quickly learned, Jones has sold everyone a bill of goods on this guy.

I hate this high school offense. It really doesn't matter who is running it....this is not Tennessee football.

I know there are problems, but come on. Anyone remember the Clawfense? Debord dropped almost 300 yds rushing against UF in the swamp. Anybody see what they did to Ole Miss the next week?

We should do better, but this year ain't as bad as the year of the Claw.

AV

Statistically, it's not. Clawson wasn't even in the same ball park statistically.

It's a different set of circumstances though so the comparison is a little off target IMO.

DeBord was supposed to come in and keep things going smooth and add the wide open passing attack that Michigan used in the bowl game against FL.

Clawson was installing a completely new system.

im not a devord fan by any means. but to be fair this will only be his fifth game as Vol OC. it is quite possible based upon your analogy that they havent been able to pick up the new scheme yet.

personally. i think they just need to commit to the run.

im not a devord fan by any means. but to be fair this will only be his fifth game as Vol OC. it is quite possible based upon your analogy that they havent been able to pick up the new scheme yet.

personally. i think they just need to commit to the run.

It was our understanding that the scheme would be changed very little. That's one major reason why Lyle hired DeBord.

No, it's just the old Debord. It don't take me long to look at a hot horseshoe...:)

GO VOLS!

Swain said something this morning that makes sense.
He doesn't like idea of ZA being the passing game coordinator but that he can't call any pass plays since Debord calls the plays.

I don't know about being new Clawson as he had success before and after UT coaching FOOTBALL..

Debord can pack his **** up and go back to the Michigan swim team for all I care atp.

Dave Clawson came in and royally screwed up the offense in 2008. Has Debord done the same thing? Dobbs is now no longer a threat to run. Not using his legs makes hima a mediocre QB. It's like removing the teeth from a guard dog.

Dave Clawson was just the fall guy. His system works everywhere else. I don't think Fulmer embraced it and Crompton was just a bad QB both physically and mentally.

Dave Clawson was just the fall guy. His system works everywhere else. I don't think Fulmer embraced it and Crompton was just a bad QB both physically and mentally.

I agree with the first part. Most think the offense was not just complex for a QB but everyone else. Fulmer needed it to work out in a year and there was no way that was gonna happen with or without him embracing it.

This deal is different to me. The scheme is the same the coach is very familiar. The one thing that hasn't changed is the offense is not as good as it has to be. Thats why I don't think Debord is relevant, this is Jones' baby.

He is more like Sunseri was to the Vol defense. We looked netter last year on offense with less talent.

Nice thread,,,I was trying to pull up that name this morning. I think it's very possible the same situation. Clawson was a spread man at a lower level. Phil would never let him put it in. So that killed Phil in my opinion. Debord is Michigan smash mouth football with big ole fullback in front like Baylor got that awesome 400 pound fullback. I really dont see Debord having much input except to pick plays from CBJ existing book. So CBJ better dump Debord and just be OC himself before he's the first coach to end up with 4-8 record. That's doable.

its obvious Debord isnt Cutcliffe. Otherwise he woulda done his homework researching the spread. hopefully he'll swallow his pride and listen to the criticism o lf everyone else and use this get better...this will hopefully have a trickle down effect.

In Clawson's defense he really didn't have the players to run his system and the sample size was too small to tell. But this is year 3 of Butch Jones system and its still not working, so I wouldn't put it all on Coach Debord.

The offense is just fine in the first half. They look great.

Then Jones decides not to make 2nd half adjustments by sticking to a scheme as he said.

Ny onlyissue with Debord is how Dobbs all of a sudden us a pocket qb, other thanthat I blame Jones for not making adjustments. Its HIS offense. DeBord just came in to make the OL better (he has IMO even tho its minimal) and call his plays for hin.

its obvious Debord isnt Cutcliffe. Otherwise he woulda done his homework researching the spread. hopefully he'll swallow his pride and listen to the criticism o lf everyone else and use this get better...this will hopefully have a trickle down effect.

We wanted them to throw the ball more and they still lost.

Obviously some things were different in that Fulmer was a long time coach who was loved by the fanbase and so on... but strictly speaking on the OC affect, it could end up being a little similar couldn't it? Think about it...

A year removed from finishing the season ranked #12 in the country and an SEC Championship appearance, Fulmer hires Clawson after Cutcliffe left and the offense looked atrocious...so much that it assisted in costing Fulmer his job.

Likewise, a year after things truly looked to be improving with a strong finish against Iowa in a bowl game, Butch hires DeBord after Bajakian left and the offense is struggling. Play calling looks as if it's by a coach who hasn't called plays in 8 years... and if it keeps up without a change, it could cost Butch his job too.

VN Store

Back