Chavis vs Monte

nashvols1

With the changing of defense, which would or who did you like better? At first I didn't like CMK defense-mainly because it moved Eric Berry out of position to over take the INT record. But then I think about all the games we lost because of Chavis' prevent D and how Auburn ran it down our throats their first two series in the 03 game.

Also, it seems to me if we didn't have the studs on D he couldn't improve coaching wise to make much impact.

I remember when Fulmer promoted him to DC. EVERYBODY had a fit! Then that first year the D was dominant (I think 95) and Vol Nation forgot all about how we were dissapointed.

Then I thi k about Monte gettn that large bonus just before he left!

To me it was a combination thing. When Phil, John, and David were together, we didn't lose much. I'd take chavis with the original crew back inbtge day. Now?? Idk.

As we saw with his D at Tennessee and USC, Monte left his best stuff in Tampa. Chief was great day 1 at LSU and hasn't looked back.

Reactions: 2 people
Dexter McCluster prefers Monte

Nick Saban didn't. Monte held the national champs to 12 points at their place.

Monte had a top 25 defense that year. Against the SEC, Monte was an excellent defensive coordinator. He really struggled against the spread no huddle offenses going west.

With the changing of defense, which would or who did you like better? At first I didn't like CMK defense-mainly because it moved Eric Berry out of position to over take the INT record. But then I think about all the games we lost because of Chavis' prevent D and how Auburn ran it down our throats their first two series in the 03 game.

Also, it seems to me if we didn't have the studs on D he couldn't improve coaching wise to make much impact.

I remember when Fulmer promoted him to DC. EVERYBODY had a fit! Then that first year the D was dominant (I think 95) and Vol Nation forgot all about how we were dissapointed.

This is beyond stupid.

Reactions: 1 person
I think we can all at least agree that they were both better than Sal and his Swiss cheese defense.

Reactions: 6 people

OP, you scared the hell outta me dude! I had to go back and check the calendar n make sure I hadn't been in a coma n just woke up like 8 years in the past man. I thought this whole bUTch deal was just a dream. I'm in a cold sweat now with chest pains.

It GAMEDAY brothers n sisters!!!
GO VOLS!!

762516_4399794_ver1.0_640_480.JPG

Chavis and its not even close

No kidding. How people look back at that one 7-6 season as one of the great seasons in Vol history is beyond me. Many are ready to erect statues of Lane and I guess now Monte. It is beyond ridiculous. It is like a guy going out with a "5", not really liking her, but when she doesn't call him back, thinking that she is Miss America.

Just like his son, Monte was nothing more than a mediocre college coach. And we are talking about college, not the NFL.

Chavis has won multiple championships with multiple high ranking defenses. End of discussion.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
This! Exponentially.

Donahue called defenses back when the game was different and you didn't have to defend the pass as much. Big difference when compared to today's game.

I know this. The best defense I've seen UT field, and admittedly I've only been a fan since starting school there in the mid 80s, was the one Chavis fielded in 98 and won the national title. It helped having the great Al Wilson, but any great defense is going to have some great players.

I would probably go with Chavis, I think the "3rd and Chavis" thing is overblown. I also think that Wilcox does not get enough credit for what he did with what he had in the time he was here. I am also impressed with what Jancek has been able to do.

No, the defense was not dominant in 1995. Never during the Manning era. Not until 1998

VN Store

Back