Jumper's rise no surprise to current Vols, former coach

kamoshika

Colton Jumper's rise from walk-on to Tennessee's starting middle linebacker may have been one of the preseason's surprising developments in the eyes of many people.

The former Baylor School standout's current and former coaches don't fit that category.

With a couple of family ties to the program, it was Jumper's dream to play for the Volunteers one day, but he didn't settle with just realizing it last year — when he appeared in one game — and instead worked his way into a starting role this offseason.

"It's certainly exciting to see a young man whose passion was to play Division I football and to walk on and now to have this opportunity to start," Baylor coach Phil Massey said. "It shows what kind of character he has and the perseverance and the drive and the determination that it takes to do that, because it's certainly not an easy road. Obviously he's had different obstacles and circumstances come up, and he's never allowed those to dispel or take away from his dream."

Colton Jumper's rise no surprise to current Vols and former coach | Sports - College | Times Free Press

Reactions: 6 people
More power to him. I don't care who starts, just lay the wood!

Reactions: 1 person
I was married to a ginger once upon a time so I can firmly back this when I say:

NO SOUL? NO FEAR!!

But seriously its always great to see a kid work hard and achieve. I can't wait to see what him and the rest of the team can do tomorrow!

If a walk-on takes the place of several "highly recruited", "highly sought after" linebackers, then one of three things have happened:

1) Our 5 star LBs are all hurt
2) Ranking/recruiting services are "busting" at a faster clip
3) ....or this kid is truly special and CBJ found a diamond in the rough

Its just hard to believe that a walk-on can start at MLB in the SEC. (I know, I know, Nick Reviez....)

I just hope that this isn't "telling" in some way.

If a walk-on takes the place of several "highly recruited", "highly sought after" linebackers, then one of three things have happened:

Its just hard to believe that a walk-on can start at MLB in the SEC. (I know, I know, Nick Reviez....)

Given Butch's overall borderline incredible recruiting to date, I'll go with #3

Reactions: 5 people
Given Butch's overall borderline incredible recruiting to date, I'll go with #3
Yeah. Me too. I'm sure there are lots of opposing coaches scratching their heads, trying to figure out Butch's formula for picking the right players with the best fit. One thing for sure...it's working beautifully so far.

At most it's a little bit of 2.

Colton Jumper was a 2/3 star recruit coming out. He had offers. He chose to play here.

His story is not all that surprising unless you're shocked by Emanual Mosely starting also.

EDIT: Here are some of the Scholly offers:

Penn. St , Navy, Boston College, NC ST, Purdue, Temple, Wake Forrest and Iowa to name a few.

Last edited:

You left one out.

4) Jumper came in with something to prove, and busted his ass to earn the spot. He just wanted it much more than the others. Sometimes heart beats talent. It really isn't that hard to believe.

I have seen a HS 90 lb nose tackle shoot gaps between two guys that weighed 240 and 270, and take down a 185 fullback hard. He was just meaner & crazier than hell. Maybe Jumper is like that too. And I guess we get to find out.

Reactions: 10 people
You left one out.

4) Jumper came in with something to prove, and busted his ass to earn the spot. He just wanted it much more than the others. Sometimes heart beats talent. It really isn't that hard to believe.

I have seen a HS 90 lb nose tackle shoot gaps between two guys that weighed 240 and 270, and take down a 185 fullback hard. He was just meaner & crazier than hell. Maybe Jumper is like that too. And I guess we get to find out.

Did you mean 190 lb?

My 6 yr old is pushing 70 lbs

JJ Watt was a walk on at Wisconsin and Butch was his only offer to play in college, Eric Fisher's only D1 offer was from Butch at CMU and he went #1 overall in 2013. I'll take his word in this matter!

Reactions: 3 people
JJ Watt was a walk on at Wisconsin and Butch was his only offer to play in college, Eric Fisher's only D1 offer was from Butch at CMU and he went #1 overall in 2013. I'll take his word in this matter!

They couldn't play in the SEC

blue

I don't know jumpers history.. but some kids have all the talent but not the exposure so they get looked over

I don't know jumpers history.. but some kids have all the talent but not the exposure so they get looked over

He had injuries as a senior too iirc. May have been ranked higher if not. It's not like *s always pan out anyway.

You left one out.

90 pounds? We need to recruit the Hanoi Hilton hard. And any other POW prisons for that matter.

You left one out.

He as talent. Heart along with talent is the difference maker.

VN Store

Back