Butch taking a page from TCU??

OrngeChkrboardVFL

After watching TCU last night, it seems like Butch is implementing an offense similar to what they run but with an SEC twist. Lots of spread high tempo with WR weapons just swarming around the D to keep them on their toes. However, TCU doesn't have the smash mouth run game that we are trying to also add to the mix. They do have a mobile QB in Boykin that we have with Dobbs but the dominating factor in my opinion will be being able to balance ground game along with a passing attack. Also, this allows for any deep passes to be when someone is open instead of just trying to keep the defense honest and forcing a throw.

Defensively, I've said this before, but I see us running a mostly 4-3 and only going to the 4-2-5 with Cam in the nickel when there is an excellent receiver like Amari/Pharoah Cooper last season. Or on obvious passing downs. There has been talk of a 4 DE scheme and some other oddball options but I think we'll see those 1% of the time. Probably 4-3 65% and 4-2-5 34%. I am really excited to see Colton Jumper in action. Since he has beat out Bynum and Kirkland Jr, I'm hopeful he can read the run and fill the gaps. We'll need that badly against UGA/Ark/Bama.

Thoughts?

I am ready to stop wondering what they will do and finally see them line up and hit somebody in the mouth. It's FINALLY football time in Tennessee!

Reactions: 13 people
I hope we are better than TCU, watched a lot of that game last night and was not impressed.

Reactions: 5 people
they actually want to get to a point where its more like Ohio State. Spread you out and still use the power run game and stretch the field with the WRs. Thats why youre hearing Hubbs and them say they will be run heavy and take more deep shots.

Reactions: 1 person
I've yet to see an up tempo. line ing to the line fast only to make sub's and run the play clock down isn't up tempo. It's no huddle. Up tempo is getting maximum plays off.

OrangeCheckerBoard, I absolutely agree we'll probably use more 4-3 and less nickel this year than in the past two. More a function of the opponents we'll face, of course. Lot more run-oriented teams on the schedule this year, including most of the big games: Bama, Georgia, Arkansas, Mizzou. Oklahoma says they're going Air Raid, but that's kinda far outside their wheelhouse, and Perine says he'll still be a prominent part of their game plan. Esp. with a young new QB. So you can almost add that game to the run-heavy mix. Kentucky and USCe might be the exceptions, but there's gotta be a LOT of improvement in USCe's offense over last night for that to be very scary.

So yep, think you're right. Comparatively more 4-3 this year than in 2014 or 2013.

After watching TCU last night, it seems like Butch is implementing an offense similar to what they run but with an SEC twist. Lots of spread high tempo with WR weapons just swarming around the D to keep them on their toes. However, TCU doesn't have the smash mouth run game that we are trying to also add to the mix. They do have a mobile QB in Boykin that we have with Dobbs but the dominating factor in my opinion will be being able to balance ground game along with a passing attack. Also, this allows for any deep passes to be when someone is open instead of just trying to keep the defense honest and forcing a throw.

Defensively, I've said this before, but I see us running a mostly 4-3 and only going to the 4-2-5 with Cam in the nickel when there is an excellent receiver like Amari/Pharoah Cooper last season. Or on obvious passing downs. There has been talk of a 4 DE scheme and some other oddball options but I think we'll see those 1% of the time. Probably 4-3 65% and 4-2-5 34%. I am really excited to see Colton Jumper in action. Since he has beat out Bynum and Kirkland Jr, I'm hopeful he can read the run and fill the gaps. We'll need that badly against UGA/Ark/Bama.

Thoughts?

Actually we played zone against bammer for a while until they really picked us apart. Then switched to man and really slowed them down.

If TCU is the no. 2 team in the country, well then I'm clueless about football.

Agreed, they certainly made a persuasive case last night to get themselves moved down the list. Can certainly see Bama passing them come Monday, and perhaps Baylor as well.

They were not as impressive as a #2 ought to be against a cupcake, even factoring in opening weekend rough edges.

Reactions: 1 person
they actually want to get to a point where its more like Ohio State. Spread you out and still use the power run game and stretch the field with the WRs. Thats why youre hearing Hubbs and them say they will be run heavy and take more deep shots.
This. I think we'll be more of a power spread. Similar to Malzahn and Meyer.

TCU was less than impressive last night but I wouldn't exactly call Minnesota a cupcake. They have a pretty good defense, particularly their secondary; and I expect them to be a borderline top 25 team this year if they play up to their potential.

Reactions: 3 people
I watched the game last night, and like others, felt that TCU wasn't all that good.Then I remembered that it was the first game and it may take a game or two for TCU gel.

Minnesota isn't a horrible opponent guys. If they had a QB that could tie his own shoelaces that's a top teir team. Could still finish in the top 20

Minnesota isn't a horrible opponent guys. If they had a QB that could tie his own shoelaces that's a top teir team. Could still finish in the top 20

Berry, on ESPN's FPI they are the #47 team, ranked immediately after Kentucky and just before Cincy and Duke. They are projected to win between 5.7 and 6.5 games in 2015. A true #2 team ought to eat them like a cupcake.

Last edited:
Thoughts?

I think it is definitely a similar offense. TCU has some good receivers and Boykin. I think I would almost rather take Dobbs and our receivers though.

I am hoping we run more 4-3 this year. I like Maggit at end but he is good at backer too. Lewis and Vereen are also all solid at end and with Kyle Phillips it almost sounds like he should be on the field. The main reason is with Gaulden getting injured we are much deeper at corner running a 4-3, although the nickel is nice in passing downs.

I am also excited about Jumper. I played against Reviez in high school(sort of) so I always kind of pulled for him and I am hoping Colton can step up and be a good contributor/have a good story like Nick. Plus he's a Chattanooga kid.

Go Vols!! Kick off tommorow!

Berry, on ESPN's FPI they are the #47 team, ranked immediately after Kentucky and just before Cincy and Duke. They are projected to win between 5.7 and 6.5 games in 2015. A true #2 team ought to eat them like a cupcake.

Wait a second. Are you using preseason rankings for one team as evidence that another team's preseason ranking is wrong? You just blew my mind.

Reactions: 3 people
Wait a second. Are you using preseason rankings for one team as evidence that another team's preseason ranking is wrong? You just blew my mind.

Yeah, ain't it cool? :)

More accurately, using the two teams' pre-season rankings, and comparing those to how they performed against each other on the field. 23-17 isn't what one expects of #2 vs #47 ... more importantly, the way the teams played to get to 23-17 isn't what one expects of a #2 playing a #47.

Not that shocking a perspective after all, huh?

After watching that game, I wish we had played TCU last night. They looked rough.

Yeah, ain't it cool? :)

More accurately, using the two teams' pre-season rankings, and comparing those to how they performed against each other on the field. 23-17 isn't what one expects of #2 vs #47 ... more importantly, the way the teams played to get to 23-17 isn't what one expects of a #2 playing a #47.

Not that shocking a perspective after all, huh?

My point is that Minnesota's ranking could just as easily have been too low as TCU's could have been too high. We don't know since their only opponents so far have been each other. That seems fairly simple to me.

My point is that Minnesota's ranking could just as easily have been too low as TCU's could have been too high. We don't know since their only opponents so far have been each other. That seems fairly simple to me.

This logic only works if you think Minnesota is truly a Top 20 team ... because only a Top 20 team might reasonably be expected to play the #2 team in the land as close as Minnesota played TCU last night. [yah, yah, I know, "on any given Saturday..." but we're talking probabilities here, not extreme outside possibilities]

So...if you think Minnesota is Top 20, you're right. If you think they're not (and I think they're not), then TCU seems significantly over-rated.

Maybe, but they were also jumping in and out of the rankings later last year (like 2 or 3 times). I'm not sure who they lost other than their RB.

Maybe but they were also jumping in and out of the rankings later last year (like 2 or 3 times). I'm not sure who they lost other than their RB.

(Isn't some of that win projection statistic/aspect based more on the schedule they have have to play, also?)

VN Store

Back