Grantland Writer Picks Josh Dobbs as Heisman Winner

Don't think it's possible for Dobbs to ever win a Heisman here, not in this offense. He doesn't have to carry the team thanks to having Hurd and Kamara and our offense is much more balanced than what you usually see from the Heisman winner. He has the potential to be a heisman winning-caliber player, but he'll never put up the stats for it.

Reactions: 1 person
Don't think it's possible for Dobbs to ever win a Heisman here, not in this offense. He doesn't have to carry the team thanks to having Hurd and Kamara and our offense is much more balanced than what you usually see from the Heisman winner. He has the potential to be a heisman winning-caliber player, but he'll never put up the stats for it.

I don't think he will win it either. But if you extrapolate his numbers out from last year his #'s look solid. If he's improved like we think and plays the entire season his #'s willl be very salty.

Have you ever heard of Matt Leinart?
#reggiebush

I read this today. The only way his name is even in the conversation is if we win 11 games. Cool thought, but maybe about a year premature.

Where is D4H... He should post in this thread. And complain about all the mystery VN posters who want Dobbs benched...

Reactions: 2 people
Dobbs doesn't have to have other-worldly statistics to become a Heisman candidate. There is no clear frontrunner right now. However, he does need be a clutch performer and lead Tennessee to some breakthrough wins and become a media darling. That could position him to be in consideration when Tennessee jells for the 2016 season. I just don't think we win enough games for him to be a favorite this year. But just maybe if he does become an obvious clutch performer in some upsets over some teams Tennessee is not favored to beat, perhaps he enters the equation by the end of October. We shall see. I will be satisfied if he can continue to improve and help us win the East. Anything on top of that or premature to my 2015 expectations would be gravy leading into 2016.

Last edited:
Dobbs doesn't have to have other-worldly statistics to become a Heisman candidate. There is no clear frontrunner right now. However, he does need be a clutch performer and lead Tennessee to some breakthrough wins and become a media darling. That could position him to be in consideration when Tennessee jells for the 2016 season. I just don't think we win enough games for him to be a favorite this year. But just maybe if he does become an obvious clutch performer in some upsets over some teams Tennessee is not favored to beat, perhaps he enters the equation by the end of October. We shall see. I will be satisfied if he can continue to improve and help us win the East. Anything on top of that or premature in expectations would be gravy leading into 2016.

I believe he was one of three QBs to ever have one game with the statistics that he had in the USC game last year.... The other two were named Tebow and Manziel

Edit: Tennessee sophomore quarterback Joshua Dobbs' record-setting performance last week at South Carolina made him just the third SEC quarterback in the past 15 years to throw for 300 yards and rush for 100 yards in the same game
According to the SEC Network, Dobbs joined former Heisman Trophy winners Tim Tebow of Florida and Johnny Manziel of Texas A&M as the third SEC quarterback to accomplish the feat in the past 15 years. Tebow threw for 300 yards and rushed for 100 yards once in 2007, while Manziel did it in four separate games during the 2012 and 2013 seasons.

(still pretty good company)

Reactions: 3 people
I stopped believing in predictions when I lost the farm betting on that Mayan 2012 prediction 3 years ago.

Man, was I disappointed when the world didn't end!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people

I agree with this part. Not for the comments you made but rather because he plays for Tennessee. We just don't get the nod ever.

If he is contention later in the season it means we are on our way to Atlanta with some key out of conference wins.

Heisman Committee has a Life Time ban on all UT players!

Well thats what they said! :neener:

No. This is just wrong. 2005 was Vince Young's year. Reggie had already won the Heisman by then

Might want to check your history.

8sw6bGw.png

pAiKsXb.png

Bush was stripped of the Heisman later due to improper benefits, but he won it that year.

If he is contention later in the season it means we are on our way to Atlanta with some key out of conference wins.

Better make that key out of conference and in conference wins. If his performances and clutch moments get us wins over Oklahoma and Georgia, aside from the fact we should beat Florida, I think he starts getting a lot of attention. Sure I would love to beat Bama but I think we need one more year before we are good enough to realistically win the SEC, regardless of how great Dobbs performs this year. If Dobbs gets Tennessee to Atlanta in 2015 and his play is clearly one of the reasons, he will get some Heisman attention.

Last edited:
Better make that key out of conference and in conference wins. If his performance and clutch moments gets us wins over Oklahoma and Georgia, aside from the fact we should beat Florida, I think he starts getting a lot of attention. Sure I would love to Bama but I think we need one more year before we are good enough to realistically be a better team, regardless of how great Dobbs performs this year. If Dobbs gets Tennessee to Atlanta in 2015 and his play is clearly one of the reasons, he will get some Heisman attention.

Understand. Just trying to say if we are on our way to Atlanta it is probable that we beat Florida and Georgia. Oklahoma being a non-conference game doesn't keep us from going to Atlanta but would put Dobbs in the running. Hope all comes true but ain't holding my breath.

Don't see it this year because of the kid at TCU. Boykin should put up video game numbers in that offense this year. I think Josh has a solid year but I don't see a Heisman this year. Next though.........that's an entirely different story.

Also remember that having awesome stats and an SEC title won't guarantee. See Peyton Manning.

Longshot, but it could happen. Doubt it, but Dobbs exemplifies everything that is good about college football.

Heisman is a joke.. Look at Manning Stats his sr year.. He was the best player and it wasn't close .F them

VN Store

Back