A little nit picking on Butch

KingtUT

I reign supreme!
Let me start by saying I'm a big Butch fan and I have backed him against many of the "negavols" lurking around here (check my stats) but I find myself shaking my head about some of his comments and I wonder if he had to pick only one, what would his message be??? Power of one, my all, 1% better, brick by brick, one tennessee, 63, everything's about consistency, everything's about anything and everything, it's critical, it's monumental, etc, etc..?

Last night on Vol calls, when asked about the starting o-line he said he doesn't believe in having 5 starters. Well guess what Butch, when we get the ball for the first time, there will be 5 o-lineman that take the field...those are your starters. It's one thing not to know who is actually going to start but it's another thing if you just won't acknowledge who the starters are going to be.

Before you bash me too bad, realize that I think Butch is doing a very good job and I'm glad he's our coach. Like it says in the title, just nit picking a little. Go Vols.

Like I asked earlier, if Butch had to pick one message / slogan, what would it or should it be?

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
IMO it's just coach speak for "No one stands head and shoulders above anyone else." Which I suspect might mean CBJ is not satisfied with the current talent level of his OL. Again, just my opinion.

Reactions: 1 person
This year, it's "My All." That's the theme of Team 119. That's what Butch is trying to mold their character into. Some of the others, like "1% Better," are means of finding "My All."

Power of One was last year. He still believes in it, I'm sure, but that's not this year's focal point. Brick by Brick is both a recruiting rally point and an expectation management device. Some of the others are going to be part of his lexicon forever, it's like asking Steve Spurrier to stop saying "fellas," it will just never change. :)

But if he had only one to pick, I think for Team 119, it would be My All.

p.s. Yeah, this refusal to name starters thing is a new trend in the college ranks, I don't get it either, but if it helps keep the players motivated, more power to him. :good!:

Reactions: 5 people
This year, it's "My All." That's the theme of Team 119. That's what Butch is trying to mold their character into. Some of the others, like "1% Better," are means of finding "My All."

Power of One was last year. He still believes in it, I'm sure, but that's not this year's focal point. Brick by Brick is both a recruiting rally point and an expectation management device. Some of the others are going to be part of his lexicon forever, it's like asking Steve Spurrier to stop saying "fellas," it will just never change. :)

But if he had only one to pick, I think for Team 119, it would be My All.

p.s. Yeah, this refusal to name starters thing is a new trend in the college ranks, I don't get it either, but if it helps keep the players motivated, more power to him. :good!:

Thanks for playing along. I don't know what I think about changing the theme each year when you preach preah consistency so often. I guess if you consistently change it every year, that's also being consistent. :)

Thanks for playing along. I don't know what I think about changing the theme each year when you preach preah consistency so often. I guess if you consistently change it every year, that's also being consistent. :)

The program needs consistency. And Jones is creating that while building the program's foundation. But each team has an identity. And team 119's identity is "My All."

Reactions: 2 people
The slogans and phrases are for the team. Im not a fan of them but that doesn't matter because Im not on the roster.

After that, its about winning football games. "Its Time" to do more of that.

Reactions: 6 people

The program needs consistency. And Jones is creating that while building the program's foundation. But each team has an identity. And team 119's identity is "My All."

Yeah, there's consistency (in the program) and identity (of each team). Both work together. The consistency is built off of the program's values, which define the very nature of who we are.

I've never heard Butch enumerate the program's values as he sees them (they're bigger even than his tenure), but I have heard him talk about some of them. Like FAMILY ... which is another way of saying Loyalty and Selflessness and Belonging and Respect and Team, all rolled into one.

Once you have those values at your core, you can build a unique identity off of them, without losing your moral foundation. Team 119 wants to be about My All, and growing every day, finding ways to get to My All, serving for your teammates. More players wearing the jersey numbers of injured mates this year than I've ever heard of from any other program. That's a part of Team 119's identity emerging. Think they're gonna be special.

Bottom line: Butch knows exactly what he's doing in setting organizational climate, goals, and expectations. And is doing it very well. The results are going to bear testament.

Go Vols!

The slogans and phrases are for the team. Im not a fan of them but that doesn't matter because Im not on the roster.

After that, its about winning football games. "Its Time" to do more of that.

Perfectly said. :good!:

Let me start by saying I'm a big Butch fan and I have backed him against many of the "negavols" lurking around here (check my stats) but I find myself shaking my head about some of his comments and I wonder if he had to pick only one, what would his message be??? Power of one, my all, 1% better, brick by brick, one tennessee, 63, everything's about consistency, everything's about anything and everything, it's critical, it's monumental, etc, etc..?

Last night on Vol calls, when asked about the starting o-line he said he doesn't believe in having 5 starters. Well guess what Butch, when we get the ball for the first time, there will be 5 o-lineman that take the field...those are your starters. It's one thing not to know who is actually going to start but it's another thing if you just won't acknowledge who the starters are going to be.

Before you bash me too bad, realize that I think Butch is doing a very good job and I'm glad he's our coach. Like it says in the title, just nit picking a little. Go Vols.

Like I asked earlier, if Butch had to pick one message / slogan, what would it or should it be?

I don't know man. I think your nits to pick are a bit presumptuous. What Butch says and what he wants may be two different things. He's probably trying to manage emotions and egos on that OL, so he's coaching through media, so to speak.

Does he say: "Here are the 5 starters, and the back-ups can suck eggs if they don't like it"? Or does he say: "You know what? We're going to be rotating so much, and all of our OL will be getting so much playing time that whoever gets the first snap is almost meaningless"?

Not knowing what Butch is managing behind the scenes, I don't think it's for you to judge.

Reactions: 5 people

Yah. My boss' mantra should be 'keep fresh ink strips in your typewriter.

(Maybe, with this new team, in a new year, Butch has something else he needs them to buy into.)

I don't know man. I think your nits to pick are a bit presumptuous. What Butch says and what he wants may be two different things. He's probably trying to manage emotions and egos on that OL, so he's coaching through media, so to speak.

Does he say: "Here are the 5 starters, and the back-ups can suck eggs if they don't like it"? Or does he say: "You know what? We're going to be rotating so much, and all of our OL will be getting so much playing time that whoever gets the first snap is almost meaningless"?

Not knowing what Butch is managing behind the scenes, I don't think it's for you to judge.

As a fan it is absolutely my job to judge. Not that it means anything but that's what fans do.

For those who have an issue with Butch using quotes, sayings etc. Consider this. Our players use them extensively. More so than any team at any school I've EVER seen. That tells you the players have bought in completely. And as the old southern saying goes "singing from the same hymnal". I for one think that's pretty damned special. And after the 2 previous complete and utter failures of "head coaches" I for one am happy to have a capable coach.

As a fan it is absolutely my job to judge. Not that it means anything but that's what fans do.

"I don't think it's for you to judge..." doesn't speak to your option; it speaks to your ability. Feel free to fret about team building mantras, meant for a team that you're not on, and make judgments about their effectiveness. Sounds like time well spent.

Reactions: 1 person
For those who have an issue with Butch using quotes, sayings etc. Consider this. Our players use them extensively. More so than any team at any school I've EVER seen. That tells you the players have bought in completely. And as the old southern saying goes "singing from the same hymnal". I for one think that's pretty damned special. And after the 2 previous complete and utter failures of "head coaches" I for one am happy to have a capable coach.

:good!:

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back