OU starting D

owenfieldreams

First, the published starting D is in a 4-2-5 scheme and it appears we are taking a page out of the Seattle Seahawk defensive alignment by putting a LB @ DE in a 4-man front.

Second, Matt Dimon has always been a DE but it appears he has been moved inside. Either his posted weight is a typo or he is extremely light for the position. He is an outstanding player who was recruited out of Texas H.S. power Katy.

Finally, the NB position will be used primarily in the same manner we used our great safety, Roy Williams; i.e., down in the box. Steven Parker played a lot as a freshman last year and is highly thought of.

DE: Eric Striker...6'0", 222lbs Sr.
DT: Matt Dimon...6'2", 260lbs Jr. or Charles Walker...6'2', 297 lbs Rs-So
DT: Matt Romar...6'0", 291lbs Rs-So
DE: Charles Tapper...6'2", 282lbs Sr

ILB: Jordan Evans...6'2", 239lbs Jr
ILB: Dom Alexander...6'0", 220lbs Jr

CB: Zach Sanchez...5"11", 179lbs Rs-Jr
CB: Jordan Thomas...6'0", 191lbs So

FS: Hatari Byrd...6'1", 206lbs Jr
SS: Ahmad Thomas...6'0", 213lbs Jr

NB: Steven Parker...6'1", 200lbs So

We are incredibly deep in the front 6/7 so I expect lots of rotation within this group, much like our WR group which will probably see as many as 8 rotate in and out of the offensive lineup. When you run a spread, fast tempo, passing attack you need lots of WR depth.

Reactions: 5 people
Striker being 222 suprised me. I heard that earlier from a Vol poster. He looked like a 500lb wrecking ball last year. Good thing Dobbs is a moving target.

Thanks for the heads-up. Do you know if this is just for your first opponent, or if this will be the scheme for UT?

The reason I ask is that talk out of UT of late has been more about a punishing running game, and emphasis on a mean push from the OL and an up-tempo, down-hill running game. I'm not sure the 4-2-5 nickel, along with undersized DL would be the way to go if UT came in and actually executed what they've been talking about doing this year.

Thanks for the heads-up. Do you know if this is just for your first opponent, or if this will be the scheme for UT?

The reason I ask is that talk out of UT of late has been more about a punishing running game, and emphasis on a mean push from the OL and an up-tempo, down-hill running game. I'm not sure the 4-2-5 nickel, along with undersized DL would be the way to go if UT came in and actually executed what they've been talking about doing this year.

Supposedly we're going to take more of a smash mouth approach to the running game but we're still going to be running out of the spread. I'd imagine most teams primary look against us will include a nickle.

Reactions: 1 person
Supposedly we're going to take more of a smash mouth approach to the running game but we're still going to be running out of the spread. I'd imagine most teams primary look against us will include a nickle.

I understand. And I understand wanting to get as much speed on the field as possible, since UT is a faster team. And I understand the nickel against the spread.

But if (and this is a big IF...) UT is able to pull off smash mouth from the spread like Debord infers we will be able to do, then UT may become a VERY hard team to defend.

Line up in the spread, if you see a nickel, smash them in the mouth and take advantage. Line up in the spread, if they go heavy-D, play action pass, or gouge them on the perimeter... The options are almost endless, especially with a mobile QB.

First, the published starting D is in a 4-2-5 scheme and it appears we are taking a page out of the Seattle Seahawk defensive alignment by putting a LB @ DE in a 4-man front.

Second, Matt Dimon has always been a DE but it appears he has been moved inside. Either his posted weight is a typo or he is extremely light for the position. He is an outstanding player who was recruited out of Texas H.S. power Katy.

Finally, the NB position will be used primarily in the same manner we used our great safety, Roy Williams; i.e., down in the box. Steven Parker played a lot as a freshman last year and is highly thought of.

We are incredibly deep in the front 6/7 so I expect lots of rotation within this group, much like our WR group which will probably see as many as 8 rotate in and out of the offensive lineup. When you run a spread, fast tempo, passing attack you need lots of WR depth.

OMG!!!! We are really skeered!!!!!!!!!:mf_surrender:

Just kidding. Thanks for the info.

In fall camp reports indicate that we have practiced with a 3-4, a 4-2-5, & a 3-3-5 (West Virginia) so I expect us to be multiple on D depending on the opponent and the down and distance.

A couple of different things from last year.....Mike Stoops will be up in the press box instead of on the field and the report is that in scrimmages this change has helped speed up alignment signals before each snap. Also, last year we lined up head on with opposing O-linemen but this year we will be in our traditional gap alignment.

This is a relatively small/light D that is obviously built to compete in the Big 12 where speed at the skill positions and spread O's are the norm.

We have two new D coaches & there is optimism that our D will be much improved over 2014, particularly our ability to put pressure on the passer and our back 4 execution.

Striker being 222 suprised me. I heard that earlier from a Vol poster. He looked like a 500lb wrecking ball last year. Good thing Dobbs is a moving target.

I still have nightmares of him living in the Tennessee backfield last year.

I'm surprised with the undersized D-line. It can be made up with speed off the ball and blowing through the blocks. I just think OU would have at least one 300+ guy to plug holes on the starting line.

One other comment that came out from Stoops in yesterday's press conference....we are the healthiest we have been in years coming out of fall camp.

Forgot to put Strykers 40 time on there. Which during the Tennessee game last year was 1.6 in the 40 when rushing our QB. Boy was quick.

Reactions: 5 people
Looking at Striker's weight, if we run Hurd at him consistently dude is going to want to come off the field. Hurd is a terrible matchup for Striker.

Thanks, OFD. Good info

This D is gonna be a challenge, for sure. Unfortunately, considering the overall quality of our OL, we are not likely to be able to take advantage of that lack of DL size.

Interesting that there are only 3 players on the starting D that are bigger than our starting RB. hmmmmmmm

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
I understand. And I understand wanting to get as much speed on the field as possible, since UT is a faster team. And I understand the nickel against the spread.

But if (and this is a big IF...) UT is able to pull off smash mouth from the spread like Debord infers we will be able to do, then UT may become a VERY hard team to defend.

Line up in the spread, if you see a nickel, smash them in the mouth and take advantage. Line up in the spread, if they go heavy-D, play action pass, or gouge them on the perimeter... The options are almost endless, especially with a mobile QB.

Yup! Could really be a thing of beauty if we can get it rolling like that

Reactions: 1 person
Thanks, OFD. Good info

This D is gonna be a challenge, for sure. Unfortunately, considering the overall quality of our OL, we are not likely to be able to take advantage of that lack of DL size.

Gotta feeling you're gonna be proven wrong,our OL is probably more physically developed and certainly more experienced after taking their lumps last season. :yes:

So far I haven't seen the nasty streak in our O-line (outside of Robertson and sometimes Jones) that makes me believe they can play smash mouth football. Maybe they will get angry for games, but I'm in wait a see mode. Our D-line on the other hand...

Gotta feeling you're gonna be proven wrong,our OL is probably more physically developed and certainly more experienced after taking their lumps last season. :yes:

Yep, hope you're right. And I definitely think they'll be improved. Losing Marcus has me gun shy again, I guess.

The thing is unless they look freaking awesome against this DL, it doesn't bode well for the rest of the season.

Looking at Striker's weight, if we run Hurd at him consistently dude is going to want to come off the field. Hurd is a terrible matchup for Striker.
Hurd has a couple of plays where he will likely be head hunting Mr. Striker.

Striker and Sanchez scare me the most. Who else do y'all think is going to surprise us this year, other then the aforementioned?

The other DE Tapper is really good, he's someone to watch out for. The rest are thought of highly, in practice and all that, but havent played much, now we get to see how good they are. Coaches seem to think this is as deep as OU has ever been at Dline, and they had Gerald Mccoy and Tommie Harris and a plethora of others who went on to the nfl, so we shall see. I'd be more worried about Striker. Secondary was a weakness last year, really if you can pass i'd do that because running may not work to well, that's a really stout run D. We are super excited about all the defensive freshman in the secondary though, but you know, they're freshmen. secondary still a big fat question mark ,and if I were OU's opponent i'd make them prove they can defend the pass before anything.

I like OU's lb corps in general, pretty solid group. they lost their 2013 leading tackler for the 2014 season so he'll be back this year, adding to the depth after not losing either starter.

This edition of the OU D-line doesn't have a Tommy Harris or Gerald McCoy. What it does have is deep quality across the board which means we can substitute freely and often over the course of 4 qtrs. The same can be said about our LB's.

The secondary is much maligned after last year's performance but some of that rests with the D-line's inability to get to the QB. There is also a feeling among followers of the program that much of our trouble was scheme/coaching related. That's why the addition of the two new D coaches is so welcome along with the fact that Mike Stoops will be off the field and up in the box.

As far as who to watch for other than Striker and Sanchez, I would agree about Charles Tapper. He was all Big 12 his soph. year. He's the guy who ran the Alabama RB from behind to prevent a TD. He was not as productive this past year and he has admitted that he needs to have a great senior year. I would also watch Steven Parker. He will be the nickel in the 4-2-5 and probably at safety in the 3-4. Finally, Charles Walker at DT is poised for a big year.

VN Store

Back