Know thy enemy: BGSU trivia

TennesseeRhett

As so many of us know so little about our upcoming opponent, I thought I'd seek out some university trivia, which I always find interesting

Founded: 1910, as a teacher education institution

Student population: roughly 20,000

Colors: orange and brown (selected in 1914 when a university art director noticed the combination in a woman's hat while riding the trolley, and found them pleasing)

Conference: Mid American. 10 conference titles second only to Ohio Univerisity

Stadium: Doyt L Perry Stadium (seats 23,000, set a conference record of 33,000 vs Toledo in 1983).

National Titles: 4 claimed (1928, 1948, 1956, 1959)

3 undefeated seasons (1928, 1956, 1959)

All time record: 523-360-52 (30th by win %)

11 bowl appearances

Team Name: Falcons

Previous Team Names: the BG Normals, the Teachers, the BG Pedagogues (this is right off the official website, people)

Mascot: Freddie Falcon

School song: Ay-Ziggie-Zoomba, based off a WWII airman's interpretation of a Zulu war chant

Main rivals:
Toledo (the battle of I-75, winner gets the Peace Pipe Trophy)
Ohio University
Kent State

They have a big university seal in a walkway on campus, and like us it can be bad luck if you walk over it or around it in the wrong way.

There is a masked, overall wearing secret society called "SIC SIC" that posts signs all over campus willing the BGSU athletic teams to defeat their opponents before gameday (stuff like "SIC SIC SEZ WIN!" And other lame things). If a member of the society is identified, they are forced to resign.

Notable previous coaches: Urban Meyer, Don Nehlen

Notable Alumni:
Shaun Suisham (NFL Kicker)
Robert Patrick (the T-1000)
Scott Hamilton (Figure Skater)
CEO of STARZ entertainment
CEO of White Castle
CEO of Adobe (software design)

Home to the world's only doctorate in photochemical science.

That's what I got. Hope Yall find it interesting.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 people
The key word there is Claimed. They went undefeated for 3 of em, and just declared themselves national champs

That's what's confusing. Like was there a different division of football back then? Because if you look at the list of national champions dating back 100 years they are nowhere to be found.

That's what's confusing. Like was there a different division of football back then? Because if you look at the list of national champions dating back 100 years they are nowhere to be found.

National College Division Championships. Which back then was essentially D2.

Reactions: 3 people
Anyone else thinking they were Bowling Green, Kentucky?

Heh, about 6 months ago, I was.

But my new sister-in-law went to Western Kentucky. I didn't (yet) know the name of her school, knew she lived in Bowling Green (KY), assumed she was a BGSU alum. So I said it was pretty cool our two teams would be playing each other to start the year...and she was like, 'yay' (she's not a big football fan). Then a few weeks later, I showed her something that had the two team logos on it...and she was like, "who are these guys?"

Heh. That's when I looked it up and learned the difference between Western Kentucky, in BG KY, and BGSU, in BG OH.

I think I was about 3-4 months ahead of the average Vols fan in this discovery. :)

p.s. Kinda funny that Vandy opens against Western Kentucky the same week we play BGSU.

I have two friends that are BGSU graduates. They are not excited about playing UT.

I knew it wasn't Kentucky, and I know they're getting their butts kicked Saturday. That's all I know.

Reactions: 1 person
Did yall see that former vol Malik Brown plays DE for BG. Wonder if he plays Saturday.

You should do these for every team. I like reading facts about teams because I don't want to wiki them.

Some other fun facts:

The Cleveland Browns stole their colors from Bowling Green. The Browns used to hold their training camp in BG and owner Paul Brown took to liking the combination of burnt orange and seal brown.

BGSU is the only university to offer Bachelor and Master degrees in Popular Culture and houses the world's largest popular culture library. Contents include comic books, literature, photographs and other miscellaneous articles (including every published Playboy). Students are not allowed to check out any materials from the library and may only conduct research at the library.

BGSU is better known as a hockey school than a football one, having sent numerous alumni to the NHL. They are also the only MAC school to hold a national championship in top four major sport (football, baseball, basketball, hockey) having won a national championship in hockey in 1984.

VN Store

Back