The difference between FS and SS

skasper06

Can someone explain the difference between the two? I believe I have a pretty firm understanding of every other position on the field, but I admit I haven't really grasped the differences between Free and Strong safety.

How are they different? What are the specific roles of each position? I obviously know that safeties, in general, are meant to be the last line of defense to contain the offense and any big plays. And obviously they assist in covering receivers, double teaming, helping the corners, etc. But what specifically makes a free safety different from a strong safety?

The reason I ask is because of the whole situation with McNeil being out and TK stepping in. I definitely believe TK is a very good safety, no matter where he is on the field. But if I understood correctly McNeil's safety spot wasn't TK's "natural" safety position - whatever that means.

So anyways, X and O gurus can you please explain the difference for myself and the other ignorant minds of VN?

Reactions: 1 person
Strong safety is usually a fairly strong individual.

Free safety is a loose, free-spirited kinda guy.

Hope that clears it up.

:)

Reactions: 28 people
Wiki:

Strong safety

The strong safety tends to be somewhat larger and stronger than the free safety. However, the word strong is used because he is assigned to cover the "strong side" of the offense, the side on which the big, powerful tight end lines up on offensive plays. The strong safety tends to play closer to the line and assist in stopping the run. He may also cover a player, such as a running back or fullback or H-back, who comes out of the backfield to receive a pass. A strong safety's duties are a hybrid of those belonging to a linebacker in a 46 or 3–4 defense and those of the other defensive backs, in that he both covers the pass and stops the run. Notable strong safeties include John Lynch,Troy Polamalu, Kam Chancellor, Adrian Wilson, and Rodney Harrison.

Free safety

The free safety tends to watch the play unfold and follow the ball. The free safety is typically assigned to the quarterback in man coverage, but as the quarterback usually remains in the pocket, the free safety is "free" to double cover another player. On pass plays, the free safety is expected to assist the cornerback on his side and to close the distance to the receiver by the time the ball reaches him. Offenses tend to use the play-action pass specifically to make the free safety expect a run play, which would draw him closer to the line of scrimmage, and reduce his effectiveness as a pass defender. Furthermore, quarterbacks often use a technique to "look off" a free safety, by looking to the other side of the field during a pass play, with the intention to lure the free safety away from the intended target receiver on the other side of the field. This phenomenon often tests how effective a free safety's wit and athleticism are at defending long pass plays. If the offense puts a receiver in the slot, then the free safety may be called upon to cover that receiver. Free safeties occasionally blitz as well. When this happens, the pressure on the quarterback is often very severe since a blitz by a defensive back is not usually anticipated. Because of their speed and deep coverage, free safeties are especially likely to make interceptions. Some examples of the greatest free safeties of all time are former Baltimore Raven Ed Reed, Seattle Seahawk Earl Thomas, Green Bay Packer Willie Wood, Philadelphia Eagle Brian Dawkins, and Minnesota Viking Paul Krause. [2]

Reactions: 9 people
Can someone explain the difference between the two? I believe I have a pretty firm understanding of every other position on the field, but I admit I haven't really grasped the differences between Free and Strong safety.

How are they different? What are the specific roles of each position? I obviously know that safeties, in general, are meant to be the last line of defense to contain the offense and any big plays. And obviously they assist in covering receivers, double teaming, helping the corners, etc. But what specifically makes a free safety different from a strong safety?

The reason I ask is because of the whole situation with McNeil being out and TK stepping in. I definitely believe TK is a very good safety, no matter where he is on the field. But if I understood correctly McNeil's safety spot wasn't TK's "natural" safety position - whatever that means.

So anyways, X and O gurus can you please explain the difference for myself and the other ignorant minds of VN?

It is my non-expert understanding that the strong safety is generally relied upon to come up into the box and help with. Run support/matchup with tight ends or backs in man coverage when the scheme calls for it. The free safety is classically more of a free roaming over the top defender who provides help on the deeper passes when not required to man up 1 on 1...however, in a cover 2 scheme, their responsibilities are similar...they each cover a "deep half" of the field and defend receivers coming into their portion of the zone.

Wiki:

Strong safety

The strong safety tends to be somewhat larger and stronger than the free safety. However, the word strong is used because he is assigned to cover the "strong side" of the offense, the side on which the big, powerful tight end lines up on offensive plays. The strong safety tends to play closer to the line and assist in stopping the run. He may also cover a player, such as a running back or fullback or H-back, who comes out of the backfield to receive a pass. A strong safety's duties are a hybrid of those belonging to a linebacker in a 46 or 3–4 defense and those of the other defensive backs, in that he both covers the pass and stops the run. Notable strong safeties include John Lynch,Troy Polamalu, Kam Chancellor, Adrian Wilson, and Rodney Harrison.

Free safety

The free safety tends to watch the play unfold and follow the ball. The free safety is typically assigned to the quarterback in man coverage, but as the quarterback usually remains in the pocket, the free safety is "free" to double cover another player. On pass plays, the free safety is expected to assist the cornerback on his side and to close the distance to the receiver by the time the ball reaches him. Offenses tend to use the play-action pass specifically to make the free safety expect a run play, which would draw him closer to the line of scrimmage, and reduce his effectiveness as a pass defender. Furthermore, quarterbacks often use a technique to "look off" a free safety, by looking to the other side of the field during a pass play, with the intention to lure the free safety away from the intended target receiver on the other side of the field. This phenomenon often tests how effective a free safety's wit and athleticism are at defending long pass plays. If the offense puts a receiver in the slot, then the free safety may be called upon to cover that receiver. Free safeties occasionally blitz as well. When this happens, the pressure on the quarterback is often very severe since a blitz by a defensive back is not usually anticipated. Because of their speed and deep coverage, free safeties are especially likely to make interceptions. Some examples of the greatest free safeties of all time are former Baltimore Raven Ed Reed, Seattle Seahawk Earl Thomas, Green Bay Packer Willie Wood, Philadelphia Eagle Brian Dawkins, and Minnesota Viking Paul Krause. [2]

I was Kristy'd

Reactions: 6 people
Both are defensive backs. However, the strong safety will normally be the bigger of the two, like an undersized linebacker who has the ability to help with the run as well as in coverage. He will tend to line up on the strong side of the offense, hence strong safety. Free safety will be the one who has a more coverage nature in the defense.

Recently, Defenses have changed so much that FS and SS really are just Safeties. In years past, typically a SS would play closer to the line of Scrimmage and was a great tackler. FS would play further back and would play the pass a little better than a SS.

Defenses have gotten away from this though. Sometimes a Safety will come up and play the nickel, or defend a TE man to man. Sometimes they stay back and defend the deep pass the entire game. Eric Berry played FS, SS, CB, and LB some games for us. In this Defense Randolph and TKJ are just Safeties IMO.

Wiki:

Strong safety

Free safety

I know this is from wiki, but your posts show you know your stuff. Bravo.

Reactions: 3 people
Recently, Defenses have changed so much that FS and SS really are just Safeties. In years past, typically a SS would play closer to the line of Scrimmage and was a great tackler. FS would play further back and would play the pass a little better than a SS.

Defenses have gotten away from this though. Sometimes a Safety will come up and play the nickel, or defend a TE man to man. Sometimes they stay back and defend the deep pass the entire game. Eric Berry played FS, SS, CB, and LB some games for us. In this Defense Randolph and TKJ are just Safeties IMO.

This. I think with the spread becoming more and more prevalent the roles of the two start to blend.

Deon Grant was a prototypical free safety. Not normally in man coverage. Usually responsible for center field. Remember that pick against Florida in 98? He was the last line of defense. And he came through. He was so good that he almost picked off a pass on a fake punt attempt in the Auburn game.

Strong safety is a guy who can cover a tight end man up and play down in the box when in an 8 man front. Thinking of Fred White here. But both positions need to be able to run & hit.

There are many complexities based on different fronts & coverages. Hard to narrow down based on the variables.

NFL evolution: How safety became the most significant position on D | The MMQB with Peter King

ed

A lot of SS get beefed up and move to LB.

It's been pretty much covered, but a FS is like a center fielder who roams around and keeps everything in front and is the last line of defense. He is the one who will shade over to help out a CB on a dominant WR. He usually is the better pass defender of the 2, while the SS is the more physical, surest tackler, and comes down in run support. He is the one that will lay a kill shot on someone, ie. Ronnie Lott, Steve Atwater...

the best way to remember this is this...Deon Grant was a free safety, Fred White was a Strong Safety. Deon Grant flew around making interceptions, and Fred White went around killing people. there you go.

Reactions: 4 people
Reactions: 2 people
So with this understanding it seems TK is definitely a more natural SS. As I have said in other threads, the guy is a peanut butter sammich away from being an outside linebacker. haha. Either way though, Randolph and Kelly are both good enough to play either spot IMO. However after this year, I think it would be more suitable for Evan to play the FS "center field" spot. TK is a much better run defender IMO.

This is similar to what they did with JRM and Cortez McDowell though... took oversized safeties and turned them into quick, strong OLBs.

the best way to remember this is this...Deon Grant was a free safety, Fred White was a Strong Safety. Deon Grant flew around making interceptions, and Fred White went around killing people. there you go.

That was true in 1998. With the spread so much has changed. FS and SS positions have evolved and both need strong coverage skills and run stopping ability.

So with this understanding it seems TK is definitely a more natural SS. As I have said in other threads, the guy is a peanut butter sammich away from being an outside linebacker. haha. Either way though, Randolph and Kelly are both good enough to play either spot IMO. However after this year, I think it would be more suitable for Evan to play the FS "center field" spot. TK is a much better run defender IMO.

This is similar to what they did with JRM and Cortez McDowell though... took oversized safeties and turned them into quick, strong OLBs.

IDK. TKJr really has a knack for the ball. "Free"ing him up to play the field and make picks seems like his forte, IMO.

In defenses where they assign a FS and SS the strong saftey is always on the strong side of the field so that in coverages that require a safety to roll down and have one safety play centerfield it would be the free saftey back deep and SS rolled down.

however alot of defenses are moving away from this and have 2 safeties that can play to both strentghs. Instead of flipping sides to the strong and weak side some teams now just have a left and right safety who have same responsibilities depending on what formation the offense comes out in.

VN Store

Back