Why Nashville?

CA_Vol

Why take a home game off the schedule to play in Nasvillle? I understand Butch thinks it a good recruiting tool, but is it really? It's not even sold out?

The downside seems significant. Less revenues for one, but mostly a missed opportunity to get our players ready in their home stadium prior to a really important game against OU.

Let's face it. We will have a significant amount of players in the game with very little experience playing in such a high profile game in Neyland. Why wouldn't we want to take advantage of that opportunity?

I realize it isn't the end if the world and is great for our players who are from Nashville. I just think it does more harm than good due to our week 2 opponent.

Reactions: 6 people
It's a win win for us that don't have to drive to Kentucky, I mean Ohio.

Reactions: 2 people
Nashville is quickly becoming a hotbed for recruiting and Jones wants to lock down the mid-state and it gives many of our recent mid-state recruits a chance to play in front of their family. Plus it's much closer for our fellow vols in west TN. Just a good PR move all around.

Reactions: 25 people
Tennessee is the visitor for this game

Like that label makes it real?

They are the home team.

Game will be a sell out too after kick off.

Alot of us in Nashville are just gonna go down on game day to get tickets.

Reactions: 3 people
The Tennessee Volunteers are Tennessee's college team. Not Knoxville's. Tennessee's. They should have three "home stadiums" to choose from whenever they like: Neyland in Knoxville, Nissan Stadium in Nashville, and the Liberty Bowl in Memphis (sorry, Memphis Tigers, you can share it with us when we're (usually) not using it).

Sure, most of the home games will be in Neyland--it's the greatest stadium in college football, and many of our traditions (Vol Navy, saluting the Hill) are tied to the geography surrounding the venue. But that doesn't mean it's our only home in this great state.

There are three stars on our flag, representing the geography of the Volunteer State. There are three stadiums that correspond to those divisions. Tennessee should feel perfectly at home in all of them.

Go Vols!

Last edited:
Reactions: 41 people
It is a great recruiting tool. The prospects visiting will most likely get to see what a NFL facility is like. More tickets will be sold at game time. It's good for both teams IMO.

Why take a home game off the schedule to play in Nasvillle? I understand Butch thinks it a good recruiting tool, but is it really? It's not even sold out?

The downside seems significant. Less revenues for one, but mostly a missed opportunity to get our players ready in their home stadium prior to a really important game against OU.

Let's face it. We will have a significant amount of players in the game with very little experience playing in such a high profile game in Neyland. Why wouldn't we want to take advantage of that opportunity?

I realize it isn't the end if the world and is great for our players who are from Nashville. I just think it does more harm than good due to our week 2 opponent.

Does no harm...or good. Hence the term neutral site game.

Reactions: 1 person
If the city business owners would like for UT to have had this game in Knoxville. People should stand up and let the city know to back off the entertainment tax they charge UT for having a home game. The city still will generate tax dollars on the addition sales tax and motel lodging. So, look for more games in the future to be played away from Neyland Stadium on what could be lesser crowds........Just my thoughts

The Tennessee Volunteers are Tennessee's college team. Not Knoxville's. Tennessee's. They should have three "home stadiums" to choose from whenever they like: Neyland in Knoxville, Nissan Stadium in Nashville, and the Liberty Bowl in Memphis (sorry, Memphis Tigers, you can share it with us when we're (usually) not using it).

Sure, most of the home games will be in Neyland--it's the greatest stadium in college football, and many of our traditions (Vol Navy, saluting the Hill) are tied to the geography surrounding the venue. But that doesn't mean it's our only home in this great state.

There are three stars on our state flag, representing the geography of the Volunteer State. There are three stadiums that correspond to those divisions. Tennessee is at home in all of them.

Go Vols!

Even when UT plays Memphis in the Liberty Bowl, it's usually half orange or majority orange.

Like that label makes it real?

They are the home team.

Game will be a sell out too after kick off.

Alot of us in Nashville are just gonna go down on game day to get tickets.

Yes I know who the home school is for this game.....Tennessee will be wearing the road white jersey as the visitor, but I am sure the stadium will be 95% Tennessee orange

The fact you think a 4:00pm matchup against Bowling Green in Knoxville would have been high profile shows this thread is based on a ridiculous premise.

It will be a home crowd in one of the strongest recruiting regions of the state and will hopefully feature a complete, dominating performance by the Vols. These are big for the 'One Tennessee' concept, for exposure, and for recruiting.

Sure, they sell less tickets, but it does more good than bad in my honest opinion.

Reactions: 4 people
Yes I know who the home school is for this game.....Tennessee will be wearing the road white jersey as the visitor, but I am sure the stadium will be 95% Tennessee orange

We are the home team and we are wearing orange jerseys and white pants.

th

Reactions: 5 people

There are three stars on our flag, representing the geography of the Volunteer State. There are three stadiums that correspond to those divisions. Tennessee should feel perfectly at home in all of them.

Go Vols!

To be honest having home games in places other than Neyland isn't something UT is ever going to do. For starters you have all the game day traditions that we use to recruit that go out the window. Next you lose a huge home field advantage by dropping 30k people in the stands by leaving Neyland. After that think of the season ticket holders, sponsors, and other parties that pay for specific seats or ad placements in the stadium that will be irked to drive 3 or maybe 6 hours to the game all of the sudden. And finally you have to consider that having the game in Nashville significantly decreased the number of students attending due to the time and monetary loss ($50 tickets instead of $10). We aren't Arkansas, we don't need to have multiple stadiums across the state. The Vols have had a home field at the base of the Hill besides the Tennessee river since 1921. It's ridiculous to suggest we throw that away.

Reactions: 5 people
I believe its because of UAB not having a football program anymore..

Their program was reinstated,,,, they'll be back in 2017.. Hubby's ortho graduated UAB,,, Dr B all excited for them to have football back..

Could be Nashville is halfway between both Knoxville and Bowling Green, Ohio but

I really think it's for people in Nashville to see the #1 and only college team in the state of Tennessee compete..

GO VOLS..!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back