Question about Dillon Bates

CamVol8

Any reason why he was not listed anywhere on the starters and backups page? I didn't except him to start but I do think it's very odd that he's not at least the 3rd guy listed on any of those positions. Thoughts on this?

Reactions: 1 person
Refresh me of his injury from last year again

Torn Labrum against UGA last year. Looked good against Utah State and Arkansas State.

Regardless, because of how much we'll see a rotation, I doubt the 2-deep matters much. I think he'll see ~10 snaps minimum against BG.

Torn Labrum against UGA last year. Looked good against Utah State and Arkansas State.

Regardless, because of how much we'll see a rotation, I doubt the 2-deep matters much. I think he'll see ~10 snaps minimum against BG.

Also a starter on special teams

I'm actually more surprised that Kenny Bynum is the backup Will. Didn't think he was fast enough for that position but we'll see I guess.

Any reason why he was not listed anywhere on the starters and backups page? I didn't except him to start but I do think it's very odd that he's not at least the 3rd guy listed on any of those positions. Thoughts on this?

He's recovering from injuries AND he has four years...next topic.

Reactions: 4 people
Dillon will start when JRM leaves since we play nickel so much but will probably play quite a bit when we are in a 4-3.

From 247:

Tennessee coach Butch Jones said Thursday that the redshirt freshman linebacker still is getting “better and better,” and the Vols will be counting on him to “excel on special teams” in addition to providing valuable depth at linebacker — perhaps at two different positions.

“Dillon’s role starting off, right away, is he has to excel on special teams. And we all know what special teams has done for the Bates family,” Jones said, referring to the role Bates’ father, former Tennessee standout Bill Bates, played as a special-teams standout throughout his 15-year NFL career.

“Dillon is as competitive of an individual (as) we have in our program. He’s of the highest character, and he wants to do it. His care factor is very, very high, and he will do a very good job for us on special teams. He’s also continuing to get better at the linebacker position.”

Bates has worked primarily at Mike linebacker during the VolsÂ’ preseason practices over the past few weeks.

But with freshman Darrin Kirkland Jr. and sophomore walk-on Colton Jumper battling for the starting Mike linebacker job, and redshirt junior Kenny Bynum providing depth behind them, Jones said Bates now will “move around a little bit” and get some work at Will linebacker behind junior starter Jalen Reeves-Maybin.

“We're going to move him around a little bit,” Jones said of Bates. “His football intelligence allows him to do that, so we’re also going to get him some repetitions at Will linebacker.”

Reactions: 9 people
I think they listed Bynum at Will just out of respect for the time he's spent in the program, he deserves to see his name on the 2 deep, but either McDowell or Bates is definitely the second option at Will

I'll let Mueller field this one, since bad news is kind of his thing. Kid will be fine though on and off the field.

He's a 'tweener in the new defensive alignment. He's not big enough to dominate in the trenches. He's probably lost a step due to his injury which makes it harder for him as a linebacker... plus there are apparently only going to be two of them most of the time. I can't see him becoming a DB like his father. He doesn't have an obvious spot to fill on the defense, but he's probably good enough that one will be found for him in time as he grows stronger and wiser.

I'm actually more surprised that Kenny Bynum is the backup Will. Didn't think he was fast enough for that position but we'll see I guess.

This. Or Cortez McDowell. His was another name I didn't see anywhere on the DC. FWIW though, the chart is just a piece of paper. The team will start and play whoever they want and if they wanted, it could be completely different than what they released.

Your source? Or is just your exceptional football knowledge?:lolabove:

According to everything the coaches said in the spring and Volquest even wrote an article about it over the summer how Cortez was primed to fill JRM shoes. I think he will be a beast but i hoe they can find somewhere for Bates to play as well. This is what happens when you bring in so much talent eventually you run out of places for people to contribute in. Go Vols!!!

Can't wait to see Dillon hit the field for the Vols. He's got 4 years to rack up tackles for the Vols. Hopefully he will be a special teams headhunter like his dad until he gets a starting spot at LB.

I understand Bates was behind because of the lingering shoulder pain from his surgery, which is not uncommon

I understand Bates was behind because of the lingering shoulder pain from his surgery, which is not uncommon

I forgot that it was his shoulder rather than a knee that ended 2014 for him. Never-mind... he hasn't lost a step. Still a set back at easily owning a spot at linebacker though.

he has been banged up and not available for practice for quite a bit of fall camp. got behind everyone else.

scout squad player :(

maybe he's grown a pansy ass like B Wharton and will migrate to easier competition?

:)

Last edited:
He's a 'tweener in the new defensive alignment. He's not big enough to dominate in the trenches. He's probably lost a step due to his injury which makes it harder for him as a linebacker... plus there are apparently only going to be two of them most of the time. I can't see him becoming a DB like his father. He doesn't have an obvious spot to fill on the defense, but he's probably good enough that one will be found for him in time as he grows stronger and wiser.

Technically, I do remember Bill Bates as a safety. A hard-hitting safety.

VN Store

Back