The feeling now compared to the week before the 2012 season

EaglesVols91

A lot of us were excited for the 2012 season and thought we were going to turn the corner. Are you more optimistic now or were you more optimistic before the 2012 season? I think the difference now is that we have players that actually respect their coaches and they have a "we should win" mentality instead of "we could win".

Reactions: 2 people
This is the most excited I've been in recent years.. The whole attitude and the way last season ended makes me more ready than ever

Reactions: 1 person
I am a lot more confident. It feels like the players mindset is coming along as well as the skill level.

I have a mental block of the Dooley years. Had it put in in early 2013. It's biodegradable plastic, but is rated to last at least 80 years...so it will dissolve well after I'm in the ground :)

Haha, just kidding, but honestly: I don't remember the Dooley era too well. Just a vague sense of frustration, like a thick morning mist coating everything from back then.

There was a high level of excitement in 2012...

It went away with the Florida game...and Gameday packed up to not return till there is a VERY good reason...

Reactions: 3 people
This is the most excited I have been going into a season since 2006 when Cut returned. We now have the talent coaches and depth to win a bunch of games. I still think 2016 is the year we win the SEC and make the playoff but I won't be shocked if we end up in Atlanta come December.

Go Vols

The defense will be 100% better than 2012!

THIS!

I was really excited in 2012 but still had concerns on D. Was hoping the 3-4 would work but wasn't real confident. This year I feel good about the entire team other than the OL. Luckily Dobbs is so elusive he makes these guys look better.

Just my opinion, but I think it wouldn't matter if you had doofus or Gen. Neyland!! Or team this year would bust that azz!!!

I have a mental block of the Dooley years. Had it put in in early 2013. It's biodegradable plastic, but is rated to last at least 80 years...so it will dissolve well after I'm in the ground :)

Haha, just kidding, but honestly: I don't remember the Dooley era too well. Just a vague sense of frustration, like a thick morning mist coating everything from back then.

I would like to know where I can get one of these. Lol. You could make some good money that way.

I think I am more optimistic about this year, mainly for reasons mentioned. I don't want to put it all on Dobbs but I think he is just an all around great kid with a good attitude, and we have several(or even many) others, not that I know any of them personally. If we go 5-7 this year I will feel about as dumb as I did after 2012 for my optimism lol.

Edit: On a side note, I am pretty dang pumped about this season. The added Depth and stars young and old could literally achieve anything if a couple of things go our way.

Last edited:
I'll be honest I was more excited that year. I thought (correctly) that our offense would be damn near unstoppable and that the defense would be solid enough to hold teams off. I thought we would only lose the alabama game. This fall camp's injury debacle made me lower expectations from 9-3 to 7-5.

What 2012 season? I do not recall this event in time.

In 2012, I didn't care about how many wins....I just wanted to see a team that was willing to play for four quarters.

I remember the saying "Tennessee doesn't adjust or play the second half" being mentioned frequently back then. Butchs teams have been different. They fight til the last second and I love it

I remember the saying "Tennessee doesn't adjust or play the second half" being mentioned frequently back then. Butchs teams have been different. They fight til the last second and I love it
I have never seen a Butch Jones coached team quit not even in that Oregon blowout. That shows me his players love and respect him something few did with Dooley

Breaking in a new coordinator but on the offensive side of the this time. Let's hope Debord works out better than Sunseri.

The defense will be 100% better than 2012!

I recall the optimism about the prospects of a new defensive coordinator who we thought might coach up the defense. However, there were questions about the how the transition to a 3-4 would work. This year, we are optimistic about the amazing talent on the defense which is miles ahead of 2012. I was cautiously optimistic about 2012 prior to the season but the taste of losing to the kittens in 2011 had me more cautious than optimistic. This year, I have to keep a lid on my enthusiasm and try to see the Vols relative to the rest of the SEC in real context as opposed to wanting to wear my very Big Orange colored glasses.

My feeling really hasn't changed at all since the O&W game. I believe this is an 8-4, possibly a 9-3 team. Our O-Line isn't good enough and we don't yet have enough quality depth at certain positions to put us in the conversation as SEC champs or playoff contenders. I'm also skeptical about Dobbs completing enough deep passes to keep defenses honest.

In 2012 I didn't buy into the hype at all. I was convinced by then that Doofus wasn't the guy.

Last edited:
I knew dools was in over his head and no way was the 2012 team winning more than 6 or 7 games.. you had bray on off that didn't care n choked against good teams, recruiting was below avg n his entire staff was jumping ship.. however vn overlooked all of this and thought we would be sec east champions... lol

So I'm more excited for this year but this season could turn ugly quick. Lose to OU and gators, can't convert 3 n short via the run and Dobbs continues his up n down passing game.. 8 n 4 with a bowl win to win 9 games n I will have slept in my bed more than over the last 6 years...,lol

My feeling really hasn't changed at all since the O&W game. I believe this is an 8-4, possibly a 9-3 team. Our O-Line isn't good enough and we don't yet have enough quality depth at certain positions to put us in the conversation as SEC champs or playoff contenders. I'm also skeptical about Dobbs completing enough deep passes to keep defenses honest.

In 2012 I didn't buy into the hype at all. I was convinced by then that Doofus wasn't the guy.

I remember feeling pretty good after kicking the coon dog **** out of NC State though. But i have to agree with not caring much for Dools after the KY game. Ruined Thanksgiving...

VN Store

Back