DeBord happy with the run game

Love the mindset...what we've been hoping for. Hoping the execution meets conception.

Reactions: 1 person
That right side with Jones/Kendrick will be maulers IMO. Really like that group.

Reactions: 3 people
I think the running game will be the X-factor in games. We haven't had a versatile run game for a while now and that has caused us problems. We became one dimensional if you could even call our pass game a dimension (not including Bray's last year).

If you look at who wins the SEC or the NC every year, they have a great ground game at least. QB play, of course, is huge but Alabama hasn't had any super talented QBs but they've had game managers like McElroy and McCarron. They were efficient. Last year Elliot really gave OSU the boost...with solid QB play. Mariota had a decent run game around him.

I know even against the cupcake teams you could see last year they were not getting much of a push. I hope they run over Bowling Green.

Let's see if he still happy with them after the Oklahoma game if he is then the Vols could be in for a 10 win season.

Let's see if he still happy with them after the Oklahoma game if he is then the Vols could be in for a 10 win season.
I think an average O line cane get them to 10 games if they stay healthy. I think this is the year the defense is feared again.

That right side with Jones/Kendrick will be maulers IMO. Really like that group.

Best sounding group I've heard yet...just puzzled with the Thomas at center part. Is this off of his spring work?

Get on guys..stay on guys..I like that. If they just give these backs half a chance they will make things happen.

I think the running game will be the X-factor in games. We haven't had a versatile run game for a while now and that has caused us problems. We became one dimensional if you could even call our pass game a dimension (not including Bray's last year).

If you look at who wins the SEC or the NC every year, they have a great ground game at least. QB play, of course, is huge but Alabama hasn't had any super talented QBs but they've had game managers like McElroy and McCarron. They were efficient. Last year Elliot really gave OSU the boost...with solid QB play. Mariota had a decent run game around him.

I agree with pretty much everything except Elliott giving tOSU the boost. The deep ball by Cardale Jones opened everything up for OSU and I that's when they really started rolling and Elliott started gashing people...

In short, DeBord wanted — demanded, actually — that Tennessee's offense get better at rolling up its sleeves and hitting people in the mouth. In his mind, you can do that with a modern, no-huddle, uptempo spread just as well as you can do it with an old-school Power-I. The formation is just dressing. Commitments to fundamentals and a nasty disposition are the meat and potatoes.

Good stuff there. Wasn't thrilled about the hire but I'll take all the good signs I can get to boost my confidence before actually seeing the offense in action. The play calling remains a concern for me. At times it has been downright atrocious. Hopefully it will be vastly improved.

Debord presents with much less coach speak than does Butch Jones and I like his straight foreward approach in interviews.
Deboard, the Vols new Offensive coordinator likes where the Vols Oline presently is, I hope he can say that after the Oklahoma game....

I hope to see over 250 rush yards as a team against BG. Make it happen.

Was just about to post the same thing. I would like to see Hurd and Kamara get a majority of it though.

Example) Hurd gets 125 yards, Kamara gets 75 and Dobbs gets 40-50 plus maybe Abernathy or someone else get some yards as well.

I agree with pretty much everything except Elliott giving tOSU the boost. The deep ball by Cardale Jones opened everything up for OSU and I that's when they really started rolling and Elliott started gashing people...

I actually agree with your point but Elliot was running very well his last 3-4 games. It's a two headed monster. Pass opens up ground, vice versa. We just need to be able to establish both.

Reading further, this was mentioned in another article:

Regarding the D-line...

Veteran defensive line coach Steve Stripling has let his group know that anything less than the SEC lead in sacks this season will be a disappointment for a group that has plenty of future NFL players.

Inspiring. I'm still getting used to UT being able to pressure opposing QBs at all, much less being expected to lead the league in sacks.

If Hurd and Kamara can each hang 100+ on BG then we will have something to hope for in the OU game until then it's wait pray and see for me...

Elliot and OSUs running game were the difference at the end of the year. You have to be able to run the ball at the end of the game in order to maintain control of the situation.

Reading further, this was mentioned in another article:

Regarding the D-line...

Inspiring. I'm still getting used to UT being able to pressure opposing QBs at all, much less being expected to lead the league in sacks.
And another positive from this is these guys are the ones our O-Line has to go against every practice. That has to be a major plus going into the season.

VN Store

Back