Arkansas - Tennessee 1998

DiderotsGhost

After reading a few comments alluding to the Arkansas - Tennessee game in 1998 and the "stumble and fumble", decided to rewatch the 4th Quarter of it last night on YouTube. I haven't seen that game since I was still in school.

In 2015, you know what I notice the most in that game now? The way the O-line got a massive push and create huge holes at the end of the game. That was an extremely good Arkansas defense, too. I'll give Travis Henry a lot of credit, as well. The O-line gave him the initial yards, but he found ways to get more after that. (Thankfully, we have a guy like that now in Jalen Hurd.)

After last year's O-line debacle, this game reminds me what a good O-line at UT can do. I'm hopeful we're at that point again in another year or two.

Here's the link starting at Stoerner fumble if anyone wants to watch:

End of TN - ARK 1998

Reactions: 4 people
After reading a few comments alluding to the Arkansas - Tennessee game in 1998 and the "stumble and fumble", decided to rewatch the 4th Quarter of it last night on YouTube. I haven't seen that game since I was still in school.

In 2015, you know what I notice the most in that game now? The way the O-line got a massive push and create huge holes at the end of the game. That was an extremely good Arkansas defense, too. I'll give Travis Henry a lot of credit, as well. The O-line gave him the initial yards, but he found ways to get more after that. (Thankfully, we have a guy like that now in Jalen Hurd.)

After last year's O-line debacle, this game reminds me what a good O-line at UT can do. I'm hopeful we're at that point again in another year or two.

End of TN - ARK 1998

Tee Martin was way off that day (10-26) and when Tennessee took over with 2:43 left and 2 timeouts following Peerless Price's return of the free kick, we panicked after running for no gain on 1st down and then let Tee throw 3 more incompletions. After the fumble with only 1:43 left, Cutcliffe decided we would either win or lose running Travis down their throat which is what we should have been doing all along.

Reactions: 3 people
Tee Martin was way off that day (10-26) and when Tennessee took over with 2:43 left and 2 timeouts following Peerless Price's return of the free kick, we panicked after running for no gain on 1st down and then let Tee throw 3 more incompletions. After the fumble with only 1:43 left, Cutcliffe decided we would either win or lose running Travis down their throat which is what we should have been doing all along.

Yeah, even the greatest coaches and coordinators sometimes have to be shocked back into something they knew all along: you do best taking what the defense gives you, making the most of it rather than trying to force your own game plan blindly. That was Cut's day to remember that truth. To his credit and our great benefit, he did. :good!:

Reactions: 2 people
They showed the game on the SEC network just the other day. Added commentary from Tony Barnhart, Fulmer, and a few others. As a team, we blocked quite well in that game. Guys are hitting their individual blocks time and time again. Tee was erratic that day, but clutch when it counted.

I'm sure most of us old folks remember that we only started two sophomores on defense that year (Westmoreland & D. Grant). Those were the days..

I still remember how loud crowd the got when T. Henry took that 1st run. Hell we were getting out stuff ready to go when Stoener fumbled. Whole game felt very surreal.

End of TN - ARK 1998

I watched it in person my vol brutha, it was glorious!

They showed the game on the SEC network just the other day. Added commentary from Tony Barnhart, Fulmer, and a few others. As a team, we blocked quite well in that game. Guys are hitting their individual blocks time and time again. Tee was erratic that day, but clutch when it counted.

I'm sure most of us old folks remember that we only started two sophomores on defense that year (Westmoreland & D. Grant). Those were the days..

Shawn Bryson's block against Painter on the 2nd play of that last drive was awesome. That was a great football player in every aspect.

Take a look at Houston Nutt's reaction to the fumble, I think he knew that blew the game, and it did.

Poor Houston Nutt. His facial expression was priceless.

Billy Ratliff forced that fumble. Fulmer is telling the story of Tee sulking after the failed fourth down play. Ratliff goes up to Tee and tells him to strap his pads back on and get your helmet ready to go cuz were getting the ball back for (Tee was getting set for the postgame). Then Ratlif goes out two plays later and forces a turnover. Big time stuff. Championship stuff.

Reactions: 3 people
Shawn Bryson's block against Painter on the 2nd play of that last drive was awesome. That was a great football player in every aspect.

On back to back plays, we ran the same play. Copeland in motion, with Bryson leading. He met #44 the first time, and then #37 on the second play. Both times the Arkansas guy appeared, then was hammered. And neither made the play. Textbook blocking film. Hope the guys bring that kind of football back to Neyland Stadium this year. I can picture Hurd running free thru the secondary, he just needs the blocking to get going..

Reactions: 1 person
The cold rain that night was brutal. I was there. Half the fans were on the way to their car. I hope the fans don't give up and go home early on 119.

I was there as well, the loudest I've ever heard Neyland stadium. I still get chill bumps when I think about that game, and those days are coming back around my fellow vols. Gbo

I like going back to watch and listen to how crazy Nelyand gets as T.Henry is running like a mad man at the end of the game. That roar is just amazing. Ready for our stadium to get back to the good ol days.

VN Store

Back