Fox Sports :Prediction of SEC missing the playoffs (Tennessee assessment)

I would gladly take Tennessee being merely "good" this year and winning the East.

It's funny to see the predictions where analysts are pumping the breaks on Tennessee by only having us win the East.

Reactions: 3 people
If the SEC doesn't make it in, the CFP will be burned to the ground... or at least expanded.

That will happen regardless. It'll be up to 8 teams by 2020.

I would gladly take Tennessee being merely "good" this year and winning the East.

No, according to VKAman it's conference/national championships or the season is a complete waste.

Last edited:
Two big thumbs :good!: up :good!: to this guy's analysis. Chances are really good that he'll be proven 100% right. SEC left out because too cannibalistic. And everyone from the other Power 5 conferences calling him an 'SEC homer' for bashing their soft in-conference schedules.

As he says, in the end the only thing that matters is going undefeated, or at worst 1-loss.

And the odds of that result are hugely better for the teams at the top of the B10 (OSU), B12 (winner of TCU-Baylor), ACC (winner of FSU-Clemson), and even PAC (Oregon) than inside the SEC.

As he says,
...in a vacuum there are six or seven really good teams in [the SEC], teams are that are Top 20 caliber, and that with the right breaks, or in other conferences could make the college football playoff. The thing is, they aren't in the right conference, and aren't going to get those breaks.

Of course, we are in the right conference. But we know what he meant to say.

It's a very good article, well thought out.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
He doesn't make a very good case for a team making it out of the pac 12 or acc with only 1 loss.

Hope Fox Sports is not going the way of its total BS cousin, Fox News. Fox News is a worthless piece of trash (I will not dignify it to say "journalism) while the entertainment and sports divisions have been pretty good. Now Fox Sports comes out with this hair brained prediction!

Eventually what I would like to see happen is the playoffs get expanded to 16 teams.

1.) I would take the 10 conference winners (yes, even from the smaller conferences to get some "Cinderella" teams in there) and then have 6 "at large" bids based on national ranking.

2.) I would then seed the teams like in the NCAA tournament and would pair them #1 against #16, #2 against #15, and so on and so forth.

3.) The top 8 seeded teams would have home field advantage over the bottom 8 in the 1st round.

4.) Then in the 2nd round the remaining 8 teams would play in 4 of the following bowls (Rose, Sugar, Fiesta, Cotton, Orange, and Capital One).

5.) Then the final 4 teams would play in the remaining 2 major bowls which would rotate every year.

6.) The final championship game would be played in a national championship bowl.

Let's secede right now! Put up the confederate flag, break out the Jack and the 4x4 and start burning mattresses.

No really, it is time the SEC start leading college football into the "New" future without NCAA interference, lets become an NFL D-league and pay our players.

Reactions: 2 people
Hope Fox Sports is not going the way of its total BS cousin, Fox News. Fox News is a worthless piece of trash (I will not dignify it to say "journalism) while the entertainment and sports divisions have been pretty good. Now Fox Sports comes out with this hair brained prediction!

That escalated quickly....

Eventually what I would like to see happen is the playoffs get expanded to 16 teams.

1.) I would take the 10 conference winners (yes, even from the smaller conferences to get some "Cinderella" teams in there) and then have 6 "at large" bids based on national ranking.

2.) I would then seed the teams like in the NCAA tournament and would pair them #1 against #16, #2 against #15, and so on and so forth.

3.) The top 8 seeded teams would have home field advantage over the bottom 8 in the 1st round.

4.) Then in the 2nd round the remaining 8 teams would play in 4 of the following bowls (Rose, Sugar, Fiesta, Cotton, Orange, and Capital One).

5.) Then the final 4 teams would play in the remaining 2 major bowls which would rotate every year.

6.) The final championship game would be played in a national championship bowl.

So you want 13% of teams playing in the playoff. This includes conferences of almost no significance whatsoever. College football is not like college basketball. The disparity in talent is far to great for good competition.
Since there are normally 4-6 great teams a year... 8 would be the absolute maximum i could ever see/want.

You cannot bring this rational thought to this board!!! what are you thinking??? LOL.

You cannot bring this rational thought to this board!!! what are you thinking??? LOL.

Wanting to see the winners of MAC, Sun Belt and AAC in a 16-team playoff to determine the national champion is not what I would label as a rational thought.

Last edited:
So you want 13% of teams playing in the playoff. This includes conferences of almost no significance whatsoever. College football is not like college basketball. The disparity in talent is far to great for good competition.
Since there are normally 4-6 great teams a year... 8 would be the absolute maximum i could ever see/want.

Cinderella teams IMO play a huge role in making playoffs fun to watch. Sure there will most likely be blowouts but every once in a while I guarantee you we'd get a Boise State VS Oklahoma or a Utah VS Alabama or a Louisville VS Florida. It'd be worth it for those moments IMO. Including the smaller conference winners would be good for College Football IMO. 10 conference winners + 6 at larges would cover all of the best teams in the country plus a couple of Cinderella teams to root for.

There is nothing stupid about that assessment though... I have actually been thinking the past month or so that exact same thought. The only teams that could be a slam dunk from the SEC would be UGA if they stop always underperforming, AU if Muschamp makes an immediate impact on that pitiful D, or LSU if a QB is actually good.

Other than those situations playing out or someone having all the breaks go their way, there won't be an SEC team without 2 losses. The SEC is too strong for its own good

Last edited:

So now we're advocating for 4 playoff games, only a couple click away from several threads asking for non-contact, shells-only practices until the season starts?

Cinderella teams IMO play a huge role in making playoffs fun to watch. Sure there will most likely be blowouts but every once in a while I guarantee you we'd get a Boise State VS Oklahoma or a Utah VS Alabama or a Louisville VS Florida. It'd be worth it for those moments IMO. Including the smaller conference winners would be good for College Football IMO. 10 conference winners + 6 at larges would cover all of the best teams in the country plus a couple of Cinderella teams to root for.

Except you aren't going to convince anyone that the winners of MAC and any other small conference, are deserving of a playoff bid over some of the power 5 teams you would have to leave out.

Last edited:
Except you aren't going to convince anyone that the winners of MAC, WAC and any other small conference, are deserving of a playoff bid over some of the power 5 teams you would have to leave out.

For example, Utah State won the WAC last year, but Tennessee blew them out 38-7. No one would make the argument Tennessee was deserving of a playoff bid if it was 16 teams.

Wat?

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Philosophical problem with including all conference champions in playoffs, regardless of how strong or weak each conference is compared to the others:

Promotes getting into the weakest conference you possibly can. Rewards teams for doing so. Look at Ohio State's path to a conference championship and the playoffs today, compared to teams in the SEC or PAC, for instance...and multiply that imbalance fourfold. Also promotes the smallest possible conferences. Is there an NCAA limit on the minimum size of a conference? I'm not aware of one.

Beyond that is the cost-benefit analysis of adding tiers of playoff games. Not talking finances; of course every college football game will pay for itself financially, we're a nation of football fanatics. But the physical toll of football is heavy. Playing a single football game is a significant investment by the team--in sweat equity, in injuries, in worn bodies that require several days to recover. There is a hefty price to each match.

So including every conference champ--making it "worth it" to play that many games--would only be reasonable if there were some method of balancing the conferences, of ensuring the cost is worth the benefit of inclusion. And I don't see the NCAA getting into that business.

I personally would prefer to see the playoffs remain at 4 teams. I think this best preserves the value and intensity of the regular season, where every single game matters. And keep in mind, the original goal back at the start of the BCS was only ever to ensure that the #1 and #2 teams in the country met at year-end to decide who the real #1 was. I think you sometimes missed on that with a single BCS game, but I think we'll always see #1 and #2 included with a 4-team playoff. So original goal is met, no more expansion required.

I am resigned to it probably going to 8 at some point. But have no doubt: money will be the reason for the expansion, not finding a true national champion. We've already got that.

Last edited:
I personally would prefer to see the playoffs remain at 4 teams. I think this best preserves the value and intensity of the regular season, where every single game matters. And keep in mind, the original goal back at the start of the BCS was only ever to ensure that the #1 and #2 teams in the country met at year-end to decide who the real #1 was. I think you sometimes missed on that with a single BCS game, but I think we'll always see #1 and #2 included with a 4-team playoff. So original goal is met, no more expansion required.

AGreed on both points. many nowadays aren't even old enough to remember how it used to be pre Bowl Coalition, BCS, Play off. the debate moved from "we should be #1 b/c...." to "we should be #2 b/c...." to now "we should be #4 b/c...."

moving it to 8, will just move the debate to "we should be #8 b/c...."

either way, the BCS and this system are infinitely better ways of determining a national champion than what we used to have...which was every poll in creation crowning it's own national champion, each done completely subjectively.

how do you think Bama claims 15 titles??? :w00t:

VN Store

Back