Depth Question/Perspective

Besteresque

Guys,

Yes, we have had some injuries.

However, I would like for you to take a second and think about this.

Even given all the injuries we have sustained to this point, is there a single position group where our depth isn't the same or better than last year at this time?

I can't think of one.

OL - Better
DL - Better
WR - Better
QB - Better
RB - Better
TE - Same
Secondary - Better (even with the injuries to McNeil and Gaulden)
LB - Better (Front line starters may not be as good, but our depth is much better)

I just wanted to provide some perspective on this. We are still improving year to year even while sustaining injuries.

Reactions: 9 people
Before the hand-wringers come charging in to argue and nitpick every assertion you've made, I'd just like to remind you that none of them are capable of listening to reason or accepting good old-fashioned common sense in the place of mindless panic.

That being said, excellent post. I'll now step aside for the imminent arrival of chicken little and the rest of "the sky is falling!!!!" zoo.

Reactions: 6 people
I agree with everything but linebackers. A couple new guys can't make up for AJ Johnson. He was a freak.

Reactions: 4 people
I agree with everything but linebackers. A couple new guys can't make up for AJ Johnson. He was a freak.

Could not disagree more. AJ was a good player, not great. He was relatively slow and played out of position. He was not good against the pass. I do not think we are hurting at all with Kirkland, Reeves-Maybin, and Maggitt.

Reactions: 5 people
Guys,

Even given all the injuries we have sustained to this point, is there a single position group where our depth isn't the same or better than last year at this time?

I can't think of one.

OL - Better
DL - Better
WR - Better
QB - Better
RB - Better
TE - Same
LB - Better (Front line starters may not be as good, but our depth is much better)

I just wanted to provide some perspective on this. We are still improving year to year even while sustaining injuries.

did you assess experience as part of your analysis? I have not is why I ask.

Secondary is same or a little worse
WR is a little bit better
QB is better
RB is better
OL is same
TE is same
DL is better
LB is same

7-5

Secondary is same or a little worse
WR is a little bit better
QB is better
RB is better
OL is same
TE is same
DL is better
LB is same

7-5

QB depth is not better. there is no way it can be. We went from 2 guys with 2 and 1 years college experience to 2 guys with ZERO college experience. there is no way that is better.

We have no idea what one of these freshman will look like if they have to play. Rewind Peterman at Florida in 2013.. that is more likely to be the case if one has to play.

JMO

Guys,

I can't think of one.

OL - Better - TBD IMO
DL - Better - Yes
WR - Better - Helped getting Preston back todayQB - Better - Yes
RB - Better - YesTE - Same
Secondary - Better (even with the injuries to McNeil and Gaulden) - Very likely
LB - Better (Front line starters may not be as good, but our depth is much better) - True, but final results TBD IMO

I agree with most of these opinions.

QB depth is not better. there is no way it can be. We went from 2 guys with 2 and 1 years college experience to 2 guys with ZERO college experience. there is no way that is better.

We have no idea what one of these freshman will look like if they have to play. Rewind Peterman at Florida in 2013.. that is more likely to be the case if one has to play.

JMO

Cept Peterman was equally awful last year... Made me nervous in the victory formation...can't be WORSE than that...ergo we're better.

Reactions: 2 people

JMO

Fair enough. I just don't see Dormady being as bad as Peterman but who knows. All I know is, we are one injury away from being in a lot of trouble at several positions.

Reactions: 1 person
Guys,

OL - Better
DL - Better
WR - Better
QB - Better
RB - Better
TE - Same

You forgot to include OC - Better/tbd.

So long as B. Stoops and his team agree with you, then I will too.

JMO

Peterman was not near SEC talent at QB. Worley was a sitting duck with a mediocre arm.

Dormady has a strong arm and seems to be adjusting quickly, probally since he's a coach's son. Jones is talented but still learning.

My point is I'd rather have Dormady/Jones than Peterman/Worley any day.

Reactions: 3 people

JMO
So what you are saying is that Dormady is no better than Peterman...I think he is a lot better. :rock:

So what you are saying is that Dormady is no better than Peterman...I think he is a lot better. :rock:

he has never taken a snap. We had both Dobbs and Peterman that had played in games PLUS one and two years of meeting rooms and film study.

No way anyone can assess what he will do in a game.. even coaches don't know at this point.

Fair enough. I just don't see Dormady being as bad as Peterman but who knows. All I know is, we are one injury away from being in a lot of trouble at several positions.

I know a group of coaches who think that also and are hopeful they are right.. they sure will get him exposed soon to prove where he is.. Like Dobbs two years ago Dormady will be shocked at speed of the game.. they all are every time..

I know a group of coaches who think that also and are hopeful they are right.. they sure will get him exposed soon to prove where he is.. Like Dobbs two years ago Dormady will be shocked at speed of the game.. they all are every time..

No doubt. However I can think of several times over the past 20 years where we have had to play a true freshman who had no game experience at QB and none of them were as bad as Peteman. Most of them ended up being really good to great.

No doubt. However I can think of several times over the past 20 years where we have had to play a true freshman who had no game experience at QB and none of them were as bad as Peteman. Most of them ended up being really good to great.

I expect Dormady to be a very fine QB at Tennessee. but I also expect he will have some struggles this year also.. A future star for sure if he remains healthy and focused.

I expect Dormady to be a very fine QB at Tennessee. but I also expect he will have some struggles this year also.. A future star for sure if he remains healthy and focused.

No doubt he'll have some growing pains. I just don't think it will be to the Peterman level of bad.

Peterman didn't get a whole lot of playing time,which I'm sure hurt him,but you are right,an injury to Dobbs will be terrible,which can happen if he hasn't learned to run out of bounds or to do a good slide

Dobbs being injured is the last thing the Vols need this year,but it will most likely happen,from what I've seen of CBJ,is that he doesn't protect his QB's very well,hopefully with DeBord as OC,that will change this year

Yeah I think they'll limit Dobbs running this year and tell him to just throw the ball away instead of trying to make a play. Though that is what ultimately made him a big threat. So we'll see.

Yeah I think they'll limit Dobbs running this year and tell him to just throw the ball away instead of trying to make a play. Though that is what ultimately made him a big threat. So we'll see.

I hope he does learn to throw the ball away and not to do as much running,but we all know that running is his strong point last year and he will run it this year

hopefully he thinks it thru first and and does his check downs for open receivers and be's conservative with his run attempts

VN Store

Back