Tonight - 1997 Vols vs Auburn

hbvol1982

#GBO 🍊
For those wanting to watch or record...tonight DirecTV 611 SEC Network 1-3am
1997 Vols-Auburn "Peyton's Comeback"

For as many NFL players as we had on defense on that team, Auburn scored fairly easily on us. (Especially considering what little NFL talent Auburn had on offense).

Peyton sure was awesome in that game though.

For as many NFL players as we had on defense on that team, Auburn scored fairly easily on us. (Especially considering what little NFL talent Auburn had on offense).

Peyton sure was awesome in that game though.

The defense held Auburn to -15 yards rushing that night (still a UT record for a game, I think).

One of their scores was a fumble return for a TD. Another TD was an interception that took them into FG range. Tennessee had 7 turnovers that game. 5 fumbles, 2 INTs. Auburn wouldn't have scored over 20 points if it wasn't for us gift-wrapping them so many points.

And that defense that year really wasn't that good as a team. They were TERRIBLE on 3rd down, from what I remember.

The defense held Auburn to -15 yards rushing that night (still a UT record for a game, I think).

One of their scores was a fumble return for a TD. Another TD was an interception that took them into FG range. Tennessee had 7 turnovers that game. 5 fumbles, 2 INTs. Auburn wouldn't have scored over 20 points if it wasn't for us gift-wrapping them so many points.

And that defense that year really wasn't that good as a team. They were TERRIBLE on 3rd down, from what I remember.

What year was it Florida had the huge comeback in the 2nd half?

Yes 1995. We were up 30-14

Talking about bad defenses just reminded me of this game. I remember my great friend who was called home some 10 years ago and one of the biggest Vol fans i've ever known! Ran out in the back yard and broke his arm jumping a fence during that debacle! Bad day for UT fans!

Ended 62-37. 1995

Chavis' 1st yr as DC. Went undefeated the rest of the year. UF weren't undefeated until UN hung ... wait for it ... 62/on em in the title game.

Reactions: 3 people
Talking about bad defenses just reminded me of this game. I remember my great friend who was called home some 10 years ago and one of the biggest Vol fans i've ever known! Ran out in the back yard and broke his arm jumping a fence during that debacle! Bad day for UT fans!

And Peyton still gets blamed for losing to UF

Reactions: 1 person
And Peyton still gets blamed for losing to UF

Yes SDV! Every time i hear that, that performance by the D comes to mind. Also watching this game from 97 i have learned that our D was ranked 39th in the league that year. Not to good! But hey, lets just blame Peyton for never beating Florida...

Who fumbled late for TN when the game should have been in hand? Foster was several years later.

The Foster you remember came years later. But that was the reincarnated Foster. So, it was actually Foster who fumbled at that moment you speak of as well.

Fumblin Foster.....it was intentional because he hated Fulmer. Had to be. No one on this planet will ever fumble more, especially in crucial game winning/losing situations.

His current behavior issues further comfirm my theory of intentional fumbling. Perhaps, throwing games for money. WOULD SERIOUSLY NOT PUT IT PAST HIM

The Foster you remember came years later. But that was the reincarnated Foster. So, it was actually Foster who fumbled at that moment you speak of as well.

Fumblin Foster.....it was intentional because he hated Fulmer. Had to be. No one on this planet will ever fumble more, especially in crucial game winning/losing situations.

His current behavior issues further comfirm my theory of intentional fumbling. Perhaps, throwing games for money. WOULD SERIOUSLY NOT PUT IT PAST HIM

Seriously. Who damn near fumbled away Fulmer's first SECC? Had Auburn capitalized on it the Fulmer story would have a totally different plot.

Ended 62-37. 1995

Chavis' 1st yr as DC. Went undefeated the rest of the year. UF weren't undefeated until UN hung ... wait for it ... 62/on em in the title game.

95 Nebraska, arguably the stoutest college football team of all time. Florida was scary good that year and Nebraska absolutely throttled them like they weren't s***. I loved it but was truly in awe. Also that year was the first time I can remember (and I was just a kid) seeing 70+ points come across the bottom of the screen in-game ESPN score updates from a football team - that team being Nebraska of course.

VN Store

Back