Movement in O-line common?

Dougie_D

Do other teams move their o-line as much as CBJ is suggesting we will?
Is this why it seems like our o-line is always struggling? No one can really learn the position fast enough because they are constantly moved around?
Can someone break down what our staff is looking for within each o-line position?

This is the equivalent of Spurrier rotating QBs, it's a crazy idea and most coaches would never do it.

Can this staff make it work? Good question.

Very common. Schools primarily recruit offensive tackles. The kids who don't cut it, get moved to guard (or defensive tackles who don't cut it). But most teams rarely recruit a kid just to play guard (unless he's a stud).

No expert on the idea. But, it always seemed in the Fulmer days of the 00s that when we were shuffling lineman and talking about "wanting everyone to know every position", it was usually when our O-line was a mess.

I don't expect much from this O-Line. I just hope they can become average. Having a QB as mobile as Dobbs will help greatly and I do expect them to be good and run blocking.

The fact is the only real question mark of team 119 is the O-line but it is a HUGE question mark. I am glad we have Debord as our OC because O-Line is his speality.

We've progressed from sticking with one guy at each spot that is in over their heads to more guys treading water at a couple. By the end of the season some guys will have grown roots at a spot and won't move until they graduate or get injured. Meanwhile the guys that know a couple are more versatile when that need arises. It's called progress.

Reactions: 3 people
I think it's genius. That way we can adjust each week to the opposing personnel. Best match ups. My high school coach did this with us in the 1970's. We could play a different position each week. We could also quickly adjust if the opposing team changed their lineup from what we had seen on film. So this is nothing new. It's really old school. It's genius. Relax and enjoy the season.

Reactions: 4 people
I think it's genius. That way we can adjust each week to the opposing personnel. Best match ups. My high school coach did this with us in the 1970's. We could play a different position each week. We could also quickly adjust if the opposing team changed their lineup from what we had seen on film. So this is nothing new. It's really old school. It's genius. Relax and enjoy the season.

Or Insane.. The line between the 2 in very thin

Reactions: 2 people
No expert on the idea. But, it always seemed in the Fulmer days of the 00s that when we were shuffling lineman and talking about "wanting everyone to know every position", it was usually when our O-line was a mess.

We did that when Coach Fulmer was the OL coach and continued that a lot when he was head coach. He wanted everyone one to know each position and then when somebody got hurt he moved one of the starters to the injured lineman's position and brought in a sub that was best suited for missing position. It created a lot of depth and allowed for much more substituting. And no it didn't just happen when we had OL difficulties, which was rare under him, it was a planned thing.

Seems pretty funny that the day I heard on the radio that Kendrick and Wiseman had decide not leave the team (before that I didn't even know they were thinking about leaving) they practice on 1st team O-line at RT and RG respectively.
Hopefully whatever the issue was is worked out now because IMO tackle is where Kendrick belongs.

VN Store

Back