Jones vs Harbaugh

led0321

I keep seeing rival fanbases talk about how "Jones" cannot coach. I was listening to the radio this morning and a caller was mentioning how Harbaugh didn't win the first few years at Stanford until he got his recruits in.

In 4 seasons he won 4 games, 5 games, 8 games and 12 games.

I think it is a fair comparison based on how bad the Tennessee roster was when Butch got here. The national sports media has taken notice of the players on the hill but most fanbases have ignored it.

Recruiting matters and good things are on the horizon.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/coaches/jim-harbaugh-1.html

Reactions: 17 people
I think we've already seen solid PROOF that buTch and his staff can coach up kids well and fast too.

Last year we had 23 true freshmen playing and making good, solid plays.

Some of them actually started games as true freshmen too.

Pretty damn good at any school but in the brutal SEC that's simply amazing.

LMAO @ anyone that says our coaches can't coach!

#BrickbyBrick...VFL...GBO!!!

Reactions: 15 people
I've seen more development of players and a team that overachieves on the field than I saw with our last 3 coaches. The way we've played UGA when they had so much better talent early on is a good example.

I think that's what people say when they can't say anything bad about recruiting because Butch is beating their team so badly in that area. The wins are coming.

Reactions: 11 people
I have not seen enough to convince me that he is a great X's and O's coach (hopefully we see it this year), but I have yet to see a team quit on him like I have seen with a couple of our previous coaches.

Reactions: 23 people
I have not seen enough to convince me that he is a great X's and O's coach (hopefully we see it this year), but I have yet to see a team quit on him like I have seen with a couple of our previous coaches.

Agreed. Great recruiter and great ambassador for the program, just feel like there have been a few games where we lost simply because he was out coached.

Bottom line, though, I think he's going to return us to prominence. I wouldn't want anyone else as our coach.

Reactions: 8 people
I think we've already seen solid PROOF that buTch and his staff can coach up kids well and fast too.

Last year we had 23 true freshmen playing and making good, solid plays.

Some of them actually started games as true freshmen too.

Pretty damn good at any school but in the brutal SEC that's simply amazing.

LMAO @ anyone that says our coaches can't coach!

#BrickbyBrick...VFL...GBO!!!

Jones sucks, I heard Lou Holtz is currently seeking employment

I keep seeing rival fanbases talk about how "Jones" cannot coach. I was listening to the radio this morning and a caller was mentioning how Harbaugh didn't win the first few years at Stanford until he got his recruits in.

In 4 seasons he won 4 games, 5 games, 8 games and 12 games.

I think it is a fair comparison based on how bad the Tennessee roster was when Butch got here. The national sports media has taken notice of the players on the hill but most fanbases have ignored it.

Recruiting matters and good things are on the horizon.

Jim Harbaugh Coaching Record | College Football at Sports-Reference.com

You need to quit listening to rival fan bases

Reactions: 3 people
Butch won't get ANY credit until he wins on the field, losing to Vandy his first season, and to UF last season really hurt his reputation. Both games were poorly planned, called and executed on offense.

Butch is supposed to be an offensive minded coach, but it's been the defense that has made the most progress. A new OC was in order, and Butch brings in his former mentor who can help him get the offense up to speed. IMHO, what he is able to do with the offense will determine how the season goes for UT, and it all starts up front at the line of scrimmage.

If UT can make vast improvement on the offensive line the Vols could be in for a special season, if not then look for more of the same with another loss to UF.

Reactions: 6 people
We really have no idea if he can actually coach at this level. Great recruiter, great ambassador for the program, but the wins with his players haven't come yet.

Agreed. Great recruiter and great ambassador for the program, just feel like there have been a few games where we lost simply because he was out coached.

Bottom line, though, I think he's going to return us to prominence. I wouldn't want anyone else as our coach.

I don't think he was known as a great recruiter before he came to Tennessee. Yet throughout his coaching career, his teams consistently perform at or above expectations - and that's relative to the talent he's able to recruit. He might not be a schematic genius, but he wouldn't be where he is if he wasn't good at X's and O's

Reactions: 12 people
We really have no idea if he can actually coach at this level. Great recruiter, great ambassador for the program, but the wins with his players haven't come yet.

Fair enough. We all hope he can but the proof will come this season. Plenty of opportunities with a good roster to get it done.

Reactions: 1 person
I don't think he was known as a great recruiter before he came to Tennessee. Yet throughout his coaching career, his teams consistently perform at or above expectations - and that's relative to the talent he's able to recruit. He might not be a schematic genius, but he wouldn't be where he is if he wasn't good at X's and O's

When he was hired, people were saying he's won everywhere he's been, but can he recruit? Now they're saying, he can recruit, but can he win? Makes sense to me....

Reactions: 13 people
23-30 record = 44 percent wins Tennessee before Butch (during 'Rebuilding' Dooley/Kiff)
12-14 record = 46 percent wins Tennessee during Butch

I love Butch .. but :rolleyes: Let's see before we finish erecting the statue.

Reactions: 4 people
He needs to beat a rival. S Carolina is nice but they aren't on that level

Harbaugh did that

Reactions: 2 people

If you think about it, no one really knew what Jones was. He was only at both stops for 3 seasons (following Brian Kelly both times).

23-30 record = 44 percent wins Tennessee before Butch (during 'Rebuilding' Dooley/Kiff)
12-14 record = 46 percent wins Tennessee during Butch

I love Butch .. but :rolleyes: Let's see before we finish erecting the statue.

Butch is 12-13 at UT...48%.....just sayin'

He needs to beat a rival. S Carolina is nice but they aren't on that level

Harbaugh did that

Yep. If he can beat UF or Georgia and keep it competitive with Bama at their house he will go a long way to win hearts around here.

I think Jones has proven he can coach but is he elite? Jury's still out. I guess one question I have, and I don't know the history of the two programs enough to even guess, at both previous HC stops his teams performed drastically worse than they did the year prior with Kelly at the helm. So what happened there? Jones has performed as expected (with regards to W/L) given the situation he inherited, however in predicting his potential to coach UT to a NC, again I'm very curious why he took over teams that on the surface were in great shape only to seemingly underperform in year one.

Butch won't get ANY credit until he wins on the field, losing to Vandy his first season, and to UF last season really hurt his reputation. Both games were poorly planned, called and executed on offense.

Butch is supposed to be an offensive minded coach, but it's been the defense that has made the most progress. A new OC was in order, and Butch brings in his former mentor who can help him get the offense up to speed. IMHO, what he is able to do with the offense will determine how the season goes for UT, and it all starts up front at the line of scrimmage.

If UT can make vast improvement on the offensive line the Vols could be in for a special season, if not then look for more of the same with another loss to UF.

Excellent post, and spot on!

Not completely disagreeing with you here, but keep in mind that all coaches get out coached from time to time. Les Miles gets out coached, Nick Saban gets out coached.....but if you have great talent then the better players will make up for bone-headed decision making. It's the Jimmy's and Joes, not the X's and O's, and Butch is certainly getting the Jimmy's and Joe's.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back