Inky Johnson Number Retired?

volfan51128

titties and beer!
Guys, I was just sitting here thinking about all the great players and representatives we've been graced with over the years, and how many great players whom have had their numbers retired. I was thinking, who will be next?

One name automatically came to my mind, and that is Inky Johnson. I mean this guy has given so much back to the University and is also a substantial representative.

Wonder if the athletic department would ever consider retiring his number someday.

thoughts?

I personally want that number given to the player that shows the most heart and determination in fall camp

After Evan Berry is out of school first he imo is one guy in the roster who truly deserves that jersey

Reactions: 5 people
I think the university needs to stop retiring numbers. They should have stopped with the 4 who were killed in WW2. I would rather other players be honered in other ways. Maybe a ring of honor like the Cowboys have.

Reactions: 6 people
I think the university needs to stop retiring numbers. They should have stopped with the 4 who were killed in WW2. I would rather other players be honered in other ways. Maybe a ring of honor like the Cowboys have.

Good point and great idea with the ring of honor!

I'm not big on retiring numbers unless it's truly deserved

I love Peyton as much as most but he didn't do nearly enough to deserve a retired number imo

Not to many people do deserve that honor

Only guy I know of recently would be tim tebow

I'm not big on retiring numbers unless it's truly deserved

I love Peyton as much as most but he didn't do nearly enough to deserve a retired number imo

Not to many people do deserve that honor

Only guy I know of recently would be tim tebow

Lmao

Reactions: 5 people
Retire his jersey maybe, his number no.

University of Tennessee Retires Numbers of Three Football Standouts - University of Tennessee Official Athletic Site

Last year, UTAD began developing criteria to retire numbers. Those criteria include, but are not limited to: candidates must be recognized as good citizens and have a minimum of five years between the candidate's UT football career and consideration of this honor. A candidate must have achieved three of the following five collegiate honors: induction into the National Football Foundation and College Hall of Fame, Southeastern Conference (SEC) Player of the Year, Consensus All-America, Heisman Trophy winner, and have won one of the following general athletic/academic or non-position specific awards: Sullivan Award, SEC Athlete of the Year (all sports) or Draddy Award.

Recognizing the tremendous collective impact of Tennessee Volunteers in professional football, candidates must have also achieved THREE of the following four professional distinctions: induction into the NFL Hall of Fame, NFL offensive or defensive MVP, Achieved Pro Bowl status in 5 seasons, and holder of a major career or season statistical record (yards, sacks, tackles, touchdowns scored or thrown).

Candidates who have been enshrined in both the College Football Hall of Fame and the NFL Hall of Fame will receive strong consideration for number retirement.

"We have been blessed with great tradition - established by having a great University, great coaches and great players. In establishing a set of criteria with extremely high standards, these three stood out among the rest. Saluting our history of championship teams, players and performances is vital to the continued success of any great program," said Mike Hamilton, men's athletic director. "UT has had a lot of outstanding athletes. We are constantly looking for new ways to recognize these young men for their contributions to our program. This is one way we acknowledge all they have done, and continue to do, for the University."

Last edited:
Retire his jersey maybe, his number no.

University of Tennessee Retires Numbers of Three Football Standouts - University of Tennessee Official Athletic Site

Last year, UTAD began developing criteria to retire numbers. Those criteria include, but are not limited to: candidates must be recognized as good citizens and have a minimum of five years between the candidate's UT football career and consideration of this honor. A candidate must have achieved three of the following five collegiate honors: induction into the National Football Foundation and College Hall of Fame, Southeastern Conference (SEC) Player of the Year, Consensus All-America, Heisman Trophy winner, and have won one of the following general athletic/academic or non-position specific awards: Sullivan Award, SEC Athlete of the Year (all sports) or Draddy Award.

Recognizing the tremendous collective impact of Tennessee Volunteers in professional football, candidates must have also achieved THREE of the following four professional distinctions: induction into the NFL Hall of Fame, NFL offensive or defensive MVP, Achieved Pro Bowl status in 5 seasons, and holder of a major career or season statistical record (yards, sacks, tackles, touchdowns scored or thrown).

Candidates who have been enshrined in both the College Football Hall of Fame and the NFL Hall of Fame will receive strong consideration for number retirement.

"We have been blessed with great tradition - established by having a great University, great coaches and great players. In establishing a set of criteria with extremely high standards, these three stood out among the rest. Saluting our history of championship teams, players and performances is vital to the continued success of any great program," said Mike Hamilton, men's athletic director. "UT has had a lot of outstanding athletes. We are constantly looking for new ways to recognize these young men for their contributions to our program. This is one way we acknowledge all they have done, and continue to do, for the University."

Why does NFL career prevent u from getting your number retired . That is the dumbest thing ncaa has done

I'm a huge fan of Inquoris Johnson, but no way should he have his number retired. imho only numbers that should be retired are the 4 that died in WW2. Clyde “Ig” Fuson, Rudy Klarer, Bill Nowling and Willis Tucker. other than that, players need to have Jerseys put in a place of honor not numbers retired.

if we retired numbers as fast as some on here want, we would have no numbers left.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Inky may have impacted more lives than any Vol in history, but no.

Name a scholarship after him. Honor his number by giving it to a deserving player every year. Give an award in his name. All nice gestures.

Reactions: 4 people
No I really want to know what his accolades at UT are !!!

When he graduated he was the winningest college QB to play the game. He won multiple awards. And font get TN fans started on the Heistman.

His only real short committed was losing to FL.

As for Tebow? FL can do whatever they want with his number. That really has no bearing on this discussion. But FTR... HE won one NC. Chris Leak was the starter for the 06 team. Tebow was a glorified running back that year.

Reactions: 1 person
Inky may have impacted more lives than any Vol in history, but no.

Name a scholarship after him. Honor his number by giving it to a deserving player every year. Give an award in his name. All nice gestures.

This is really the best suggestion.

Inky is probably the most inspirational speaker I have ever heard. A great guy as well as a great football player whose career was unfortunately cut short by a tragic injury. Not a reason to retire his number but I do agree he should be honored somehow.

VN Store

Back