The loss of Jackson is substantial

Here's to hoping somebody steps up big time in his place.

he was experienced but he was pretty average as well. Hopefully Jack can atleast be decent. Theres no expectations for this OL so it doesnt get much worse than last yr.

brantley, morrison and jelks being lost are huge.

Both he and Sanders are a big loss. Jackson because he would be starting and Sanders for depth. Not only depth for games but also depth for practice.

You would think the only things that happened during this fall camp are Jackson, Sanders, and Gaulden going down.

Reactions: 3 people
Both he and Sanders are a big loss. Jackson because he would be starting and Sanders for depth. Not only depth for games but also depth for practice.

Freshmen were ahead of Sanders. True he is a VFL, but don't over exaggerate his playing time in games. It may have been nil to none.

Reactions: 1 person
The OL will be fine, not the best in the SEC as of right now, but time will tell. The freshman will have to step up........it is what it is, let's move forward and I think this years team will do very well despite the current injuries. My feeling is Team 120 and 121 are going to be very special teams.

Go Vols!

Dobbs seems to be a pretty good mobile QB. Also, if the coaching staff is worth their salt, they'll change the game plan to play his strengths.

Read - not asking him to sit in the pocket to check 3 or 4 progressions. :good!:

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
It's not substantial. It's unfortunate but truth be told had he been playing during the years before our oline got depleted he would not have been a starter more than likely and would have provided depth more than anything else. Losing Dobbs, Hurd, Barnett, Sutton, Maybin, Howard, or Kamara would be substantial. Losing an average olineman on an average at best oline is not substantial.

Would you rather have:

Average but experienced
or
Talented but inexperienced

They seem about equal to me.

I'll take talent every time! I like Crowder but if we can shift a better center in his place I'm all for it. Watch the games from last year and see how many times Jackson and Crowder got pushed back into the backfield.

Didn't have to read the posts to know - There are/will be those here claiming it doesn't matter. Most likely, some will have been on threads in the past, preaching higher expectations. Their reasoning? You guessed them
1. Number of returning starters.
2. The ol having more time to "gel" together.
3. The guys are all older and had another year in the weight room.

Now, they will come here and tell you all the things that preached then, don't really count. :)

I'll take talent every time! I like Crowder but if we can shift a better center in his place I'm all for it. Watch the games from last year and see how many times Jackson and Crowder got pushed back into the backfield.

Yea, I went back and watched too (closely). It actually didn't happen that many times. The times it did happen were usually drop back pass protection when the line was trying to cover defensive stunts. Since the opposing teams knew we had an all-new Oline they all seemed to scheme their defense around that strategy and stunted and blitzed nearly every play. Oline push got much better as the season progressed. The Gator Bowl was fun to watch. I think these guys have gotten a lot better and their push looked even better at the Spring Game.

An average olineman on an average line isn't a season breaker. There is a difference between not the best situation and substantial.

Would you rather have:

Average but experienced
or

Whichever one wins the most games.

This Marcus Jackson loss is reminiscent of losing our starting LT in the opener last year. With a pocket passer and a staff that was experimenting with an OL rotation, we got absolutely raked over the coals and lost multiple games that could have been won otherwise.

As bad as losing a starter like MJ is, at least it happened a couple of weeks ago. That gives (hopefully) the staff 4 weeks to lock in on the proper starting five and depth rotations. The "ASU->OU->UGA->Chattown->OleMiss" shuffle was devestating. Some improvement occurred in the final 6 games due to (IMO) OL stability / maturity, and of course as DT quarterback that kept rush happy defenses more honest.

Here's hoping that our improved players and settled depth will make this year different. Then again ... Hope Ain't a Strategy. :blink:

Isn't Big Charles a prime candidate to step in at OG? He seems built for the position.

Would you rather have:

Average but experienced
or

It's a good question. Of course, the answer would not be a blanket statement, but based on each player.

That being said, if we truly got "average but experienced", which translated to an "Average SEC" OL unit, I would take that in a heartbeat this year.

VN Store

Back