Jones: Jennings has 'exceeded our expectations'

kamoshika

Jones said there’s no doubt the 6-foot-3, 201-pound Jennings will play for Tennessee this season despite his limited experience as a wide receiver.

“I can answer that right away: Yes,” Jones said. “He’s another young man that is playing with a high energy level, playing with a lot of confidence...You can see his technique getting better. We all know he has a great vertical. He has a very good adjustment to the ball in the air. He has very good initial quickness, and he’s been a great addition to that room.

“He’s pushing everyone else, and I think that helps."

Tennessee Vols' Jauan Jennings exceeding expectations at WR

Reactions: 17 people
All I know is anytime Butch acknowledges publicly that a player is good, he usually doesn't lie.

Reactions: 7 people
Brilliant move by CBJ...JJ is a freak of an athlete.

Yes, he is a very explosive athlete. I'm looking through a "keyhole" here. But, in every practice tape that I've seen, JJv2.0 (as compared to the other JJ) looks not only super athletic, but really impressive like Butch said. In air adjustments, great looking hands, quick footwork (reminds me of Pickins), great length, and smooth as butter.

I watched the 6OT Arky game from 02'. A FR #15 wideout simply took that game over. Thot @ Juan when watching that.

I have a feeling JJv2.0 is going to break into the scene this year, even with our deep talent at WR.

Reactions: 2 people
Yes, he is a very explosive athlete. I'm looking through a "keyhole" here. But, in every practice tape that I've seen, JJv2.0 (as compared to the other JJ) looks not only super athletic, but really impressive like Butch said. In air adjustments, great looking hands, quick footwork (reminds me of Pickins), great length, and smooth as butter.

I watched the 6OT Arky game from 02'. A FR #15 wideout simply took that game over. Thot @ Juan when watching that.

I have a feeling JJv2.0 is going to break into the scene this year, even with our deep talent at WR.

K Washington was a Freshman in 2001 not 2002.

Honestly all I remember of that game is Witten with the game winning TD and Casey getting hurt.

K Washington was a Freshman in 2001 not 2002.

Honestly all I remember of that game is Witten with the game winning TD and Casey getting hurt.

Yeah, you're right. Had FR #15 on the mind I guess. KW was not a "fair" freshman at 21 or 22 anyway.

Nonetheless, by the Arky game it appeared that Sanders had little more offensively than isolating KW or getting it to Witten some. He was big in that Arky game. Looked like a man among boys at times.

Like you, I remembered Witten's TD, Casey's injury (which killed us the next game against UGA), KWs rediculous double spin move and dive over 2 or 3 defenders turning a 5yd loss on a screen into a 10 yd gain. But the last play I remember is the 4th Quarter bust by Julian Battle that allowed Matt Jones to throw an 80yd TD to get Arky back in the game. Battle pulled off the route to look in at Jones (who could really run). When he did Jones threw and easy one over his head and the receiver took it the other 60yd for a TD. Like a 3rd down and 10 iirc.

For some reason, I always remember that play. We were really spanking ARky and should have won by 2 TDs. That play put em' back in it and they also tied it up in the 4th. Ended up in a looooong OT, where our veteran QB got injured, and thus derailed our season. Not only that, but Fulmer pulled CJ Leak as starter the next week at UGA after 2 three and outs (all handoffs!?!?), and replaced him with James Banks. UGA won the game b/c our offense sucked. But worse than that, the #1 QB recruit in the nation (CJ's brother), changed his commitment to UF from us, because of the way he felt his brother was treated. Leak eventually won a Natty there. ... I blame it all on Julian Battle. :cray:

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
What kind of speed does Jennings have? Is he a 4.4/4.5 guy or on the slower side/will be used more as a possession receiver?

Yeah, you're right. Had FR #15 on the mind I guess. KW was not a "fair" freshman at 21 or 22 anyway.

Nonetheless, by the Arky game it appeared that Sanders had little more offensively than isolating KW or getting it to Witten some. He was big in that Arky game. Looked like a man among boys at times.

Like you, I remembered Witten's TD, Casey's injury (which killed us the next game against UGA), KWs rediculous double spin move and dive over 2 or 3 defenders turning a 5yd loss on a screen into a 10 yd gain. But the last play I remember is the 4th Quarter bust by Julian Battle that allowed Matt Jones to throw an 8yd TD to get Arky back in the game. Battle pulled of the route to look in at Jones (who could really run). When he did Jones threw and easy one over his head and the receiver took it the other 60yd for a TD.

For some reason, I always remember that play. We were really spanking ARky and should have won by 2 TDs. That play put em' back in it and they also tied it up in the 4th. Ended up in a looooong OT, where our veteran QB got injured, and thus derailed our season. Not only that, but Fulmer pulled CJ Leak as starter the next week at UGA after 2 three and outs (all handoffs!?!?), and replaced him with James Banks. UGA won the game b/c our offense sucked. But worse than that, the #1 QB recruit in the nation (CJ's brother), changed his commitment to UF from us, because of the way he felt his brother was treated. Leak eventually won a Natty there. ... I blame it all on Julian Battle. :cray:

You can forgive Battle - just watch a replay of the 2001 game @ Notre Dame - would've likely lost without him that day. :)

What kind of speed does Jennings have? Is he a 4.4/4.5 guy or on the slower side/will be used more as a possession receiver?

I'd say he's in the 4.5 range. No slower than 4.6. I actually confuse Jennings and Malone a lot when I can't see their numbers. Haha

Like you, I remembered Witten's TD, Casey's injury (which killed us the next game against UGA), KWs rediculous double spin move and dive over 2 or 3 defenders turning a 5yd loss on a screen into a 10 yd gain. But the last play I remember is the 4th Quarter bust by Julian Battle that allowed Matt Jones to throw an 80yd TD to get Arky back in the game. Battle pulled off the route to look in at Jones (who could really run). When he did Jones threw and easy one over his head and the receiver took it the other 60yd for a TD. Like a 3rd down and 10 iirc.

I've never left a game more exhausted than this one, not even the '91 game against UCLA when it was 110+ dF. I was so relieved when Witten caught that pass cause I knew it was finally over. I think everyone in the stadium thought we were going to lose when we missed that FG in the 3rd? OT.

Last edited:
All I know is anytime Butch acknowledges publicly that a player is good, he usually doesn't lie.

Yeah, it's a very rare thing to hear him say a player or the team in general is exceeding expectations. It's usually more along the lines of "he/they're nowhere near where we need him/them to be".

From watching Jennings running ability in the spring game its going to be very interesting watching him at WR. I wish he could have cracked the QB lineup seeing how that's the position he really wanted to play. Maybe he will get the chance later on in his career. The kid is loaded with talent and will help out anywhere he's put. Best of luck to him at WR.

From watching Jennings running ability in the spring game its going to be very interesting watching him at WR. I wish he could have cracked the QB lineup seeing how that's the position he really wanted to play. Maybe he will get the chance later on in his career. The kid is loaded with talent and will help out anywhere he's put. Best of luck to him at WR.

He never would've played here at QB. At WR however, he has a chance to be an all-time great here, an All-American and an early round draft pick. Everyone who knows him, has coached him, has watched his development has said this for a long time....that he could get to the NFL as either a WR or safety based on his athletic ability and drive.

I for one am ecstatic that they moved him over and he's doing so well....deepens our WR corps and gets him on the field where he can have an impact, rather being buried behind Sheriron Jones on the QB depth chart.

From watching Jennings running ability in the spring game its going to be very interesting watching him at WR. I wish he could have cracked the QB lineup seeing how that's the position he really wanted to play. Maybe he will get the chance later on in his career.The kid is loaded with talent and will help out anywhere he's put. Best of luck to him at WR.

Been paying attention to our QB recruiting? :eek:hmy:

Reactions: 3 people
I just hope Dobbs has enough time for the WRs to run routes...and to get a pass off...

VN Store

Back