Extra large or super-sized?

oldfartvol

It seems the trend in college football over the last few years is to recruit jumbo offensive lineman (320 lbs. plus).

In MHO, I would rather have a smaller OL (270-295 lbs.)if they can achieve similar strength in the weight room.

I am of the opinion that once a player reaches a certain size there is no advantage in getting heavier. In fact, I think adding 40-50 lbs. of blubber has many disadvantages:

1. Carrying the extra weight is like playing with a weight belt around your waste. It only increases the fatigue factor over the course of the game.

2. Smaller linemen would be better able to fire off the LOS and make contact with the D lineman instead of having them blow by virtually untouched.

3. A smaller OL would be able to pull and make critical blocks on the corners and get to the second level and engage the linebackers, which would allow our RB's to break away for some long runs.

4. Without the extra fat, our OL would be less injury prone (especially knees and ankles).

I would have our guards weigh in at around 270 and our OT's at around 295 lbs. or so.

What do ya'll think VN? Good logic or am I alone on this island by myself?:compute:

Last edited:
fat-football-player.jpg

Creates "4-point stance" with 1 hand up...

Reactions: 3 people
It seems the trend in college football over the last few years is to recruit jumbo offensive lineman (320 lbs. plus).

In MHO, I would rather have a smaller OL (270-295 lbs.)if they can achieve similar strength in the weight room.

I am of the opinion that once a player reaches a certain size there is no advantage in getting heavier. In fact, I think adding 40-50 lbs. of blubber has many disadvantages:

1. Carrying the extra weight is like playing with a weight belt around your waste. It only increases the fatigue factor over the course of the game.

2. Smaller linemen would be better able to fire off the LOS and make contact with the D lineman instead of having them blow by virtually untouched.

3. A smaller OL would be able to pull and make critical blocks on the corners and get to the second level and engage the linebackers, which would allow our RB's to break away for some long runs.

4. Without the extra fat, our OL would be less injury prone (especially knees and ankles).

I would have our guards weigh in at around 270 and our OT's at around 295 lbs. or so.

What do ya'll think VN? Good logic or am I alone on this island by myself?:compute:

I believe your point #4 is extremely critical. My Dad and I were talking about this last night. The size of players now has to have had a big impact on the number of knee/ankle injuries we see today.

Other than Mosely, do we really have anybody outside the 295-315th range?. I think you make valid points, but there's a fine line between athletic and being susceptible to the bull rush and having the LOS moved backwards on every snap.

The answer can be found in science and pro football. It is better offensively to have a 315+ guy leaning and pushing leverage against you for the duration of a football game than it is a 295 lb player. Over time it adds up and mentally as well as physically tires a defense unprepared to face it for 4 quarters of football.

Reactions: 5 people
I would tend to think the same way. Oregon is a team that comes to mind who use a bit lighter OLs who seem leaner. They are looking for durability and speed.
But then I test my hypothesis by looking at the NFL expecting to see chiseled atletes. I see a significant amount of blubber there too.

So not sure.

There's a lot to be said for physics. 320 pounds in a 3-point stance, ready to push forward as soon as the player lifts his hand off the ground...well, there's a reason "mass" is a principle of war.

You make insightful and valid points about fatigue and injury and quickness, OP, but sometimes it still comes down to plain old physics.

Whether you're counting tanks in a tank division or pounds in a lineman, there's truth to the saying: "In the age-old debate of quality versus quantity, quantity has a quality all its own."

I disagree, one thing that you are over-looking is that most O Lineman in SEC, Big Ten, ACC, and Pac 12 college football are indeed north of 300 lbs, but also very tall. Don't think for a second that these guys are out of shape or carrying extra weight. These guys would smoke you and I in a race, and to be perfectly honest, I think extra weight works to their advantage.

330 when you're 6'4" and up isn't too bulky in my opinion.

Reactions: 1 person
Other than Mosely, do we really have anybody outside the 295-315th range?. I think you make valid points, but there's a fine line between athletic and being susceptible to the bulk rush and having the LOS moved backwards in every snap.

The second sentence of my thread states they are of similar strength. I think that is important.

Thanks for the input. :salute:

I think it would be cool to have our huge monsters wear down an OL and in the last half put in the quicker pace players to blow past them. Or vice versa

I disagree, one thing that you are over-looking is that most O Lineman in SEC, Big Ten, ACC, and Pac 12 college football are indeed north of 300 lbs, but also very tall. Don't think for a second that these guys are out of shape or carrying extra weight. These guys would smoke you and I in a race, and to be perfectly honest, I think extra weight works to their advantage.

330 when you're 6'4" and up isn't too bulky in my opinion.

OK.

Question: Why is it so important to have a two deep on the O-line?

Answer: When you load up the O-line with a bunch of fat-a**es they can't handle the physical demand. This is especially true with the pace CBJ demands.

Reactions: 1 person
I would tend to think the same way. Oregon is a team that comes to mind who use a bit lighter OLs who seem leaner. They are looking for durability and speed.
But then I test my hypothesis by looking at the NFL expecting to see chiseled atletes. I see a significant amount of blubber there too.

So not sure.

True. But in the NFL it's blubber vs.blubber.:eek:lol:

Other than Mosely, do we really have anybody outside the 295-315th range?. I think you make valid points, but there's a fine line between athletic and being susceptible to the bull rush and having the LOS moved backwards on every snap.

Please note that it is usually a 250lb DE thats blowing up our OT.s

Speed kills, my friend.:victory:

Last edited:

270 guards really don't work in the SEC due to the average size of DT's. Also, every recruit wants to shot at the NFL and I can't think of a guard in the NFL that small.

I disagree whole heartely,imagine what Mckenzie and Tuttle would do to offensive lineman that small! Thank you Lord for blessing the Vols with athletes like these two, and offensive linemen big enough to at least slow down players this size. With no offense to players that have played for other coaches here, we have clear evidence that your theory is flawed.

I disagree whole heartely,imagine what Mckenzie and Tuttle would do to offensive lineman that small! Thank you Lord for blessing the Vols with athletes like these two, and offensive linemen big enough to at least slow down players this size. With no offense to players that have played for other coaches here, we have clear evidence that your theory is flawed.

So everybody has a Kmack and a King Tut????

Oh crap!!

I think having OL around 310+ is needed at all 5 spots. Look at what Arkansas did last year with thier run game. The d-line will tire trying to push around all that weight the whole game.

VN Store

Back