Gator fans discuss OU vs. UT game

skasper06

I occasionally like to go to other fan forums, especially SEC teams, and see what other people are saying about us.

Today I came across a thread on a gators fan forum about the Tennessee/Oklahoma game and who they'd be rooting for. Here are some of the quotes from the thread...

I'm kinda on the fence about it

On one hand I would like OU to end this dumb UT hype train early because if they win it will be that much worse

But then again if UT does win it would be fun for UF to crush the UT dream

If Tenn does win we are probably in for a real tough game even at home.

Boomer, not that it matters. Only OU fans will still be watching in the 4Q.

The bogus UT hype can come to an end as far as I'm concerned. So OU it is.

Tennessee all the way. They are SEC. Especially after the stuff Stoops said about the SEC.

In the spring of 1985, Tennessee led a charge to strip Florida of the SEC title it had won on the field. I will not root for Tennessee.
Could care less about that. We cheated and didn't deserve a title.
It pains me somewhat but I gotta root SEC. However I still think OU will crush them.

I can answer this for you. It is because UT (fan base and university) is the biggest holier than thou, tradition means everything, pay no attention to our cheating, team in the SEC.

UT hasn't won more than 7 games for the last 7 years. When they win 8, I'll start considering them a contender. For now, it is all pipe dreams and hype similar to the last 7 years.

Oklahoma without a second thought. 2008 vs. 2001. Also, first game of football in Florida and OK is on the same day. Florida and Vandy connections don't help my rooting for UT. If you root for UT to help our SOS, or to root for the South, fair enough, but I cannot. Had to root for a plane to crash land at midfield for the '98 title game.

Easy. I want UT to crush them. Beyond belief.

Then come in cocky, arrogant, and sure of themselves.

And then pound that a&& and see the absolute disbelief. They are so cocky, and really for no reason. Watching them cry will give me so much joy.

I got Tennessee
28-14.

You don't have to root for them, but if Tennessee does win... that makes our victory beat-down of Tennessee at the swamp that much sweeter.

I am rooting for non serious injuries that keep UT players out of the UF game. That's all. They have a lot more experience than we do.

Have to pull for OU since UT is not top tier SEC, and a win would start the discussion along those lines. With a developing offense, the last thing you need is a team coming into your stadium thinking they can be a playoff team. This situation is all the more reason why we need to stop scheduling light weight teams early in the season. If we played a top 25 team the first or second game of the season, it would prepare us better for SEC play.

Reactions: 6 people
The fan rooting for UT injuries says it all about Gator fans. I can't wait to go to that game in the swamp. It ends this year.

Go Vols.

Reactions: 25 people
Some of their posts aren't wrong. We haven't won a meaningful game against a good team in a long time.

I'm really on the fence about this game. I still have nightmares of Eric Striker living in the Vol backfield from last year. If the O-line can block enough top give Dobbs time I think we can get the W. Otherwise Dobbs will be running for his life this game.

Reactions: 4 people
Man I really hope this is the year we end the streak. And I think we will

The more you talk about a streak the more power you give it. For the first time in a long time we'll have the better team when we play Florida. Look at it that way and stop looking at it as some voodoo magic trick Florida has over us. We're gonna beat them to a pulp this year. Best believe that.

Reactions: 10 people
The more you talk about a streak the more power you give it. For the first time in a long time we'll have the better team when we play Florida. Look at it that way and stop looking at it as some voodoo magic trick Florida has over us. We're gonna beat them to a pulp this year. Best believe that.

It doesn't matter what I, or any other fan think about the streak. All that matters is what the players and coaching staff thinks about the game. I think last year it was definitely in the teams head, and I think this year we get past it

Thanks for the peek into their world, Skasper. Looks to me like Florida fans run the gamut from classy to homer to classless, just like folks here on VolNation. Heh, other than the guy hoping for injuries (he's the classless extreme of this bunch), I don't fault them for their perspectives. Comes with who they are.

We gone whup dey azz, though. :)

Reactions: 2 people
"Then come in cocky, arrogant, and sure of themselves"

Liz-Lemon-Oh-Brother.gif

If Tennessee is able to beat OU, we should not lose to Florida.
I am not a believer that Tennessee is CFP bound. I am skeptical about winning the East and also being ranked in preseason polls.
Everyone will say that the next game is the most important. I believe that Florida is the most important game on schedule. It is a telling sign of our progress and direction. A win against Florida is more important for the program than any other team on our schedule, Bama would be close second.
Stop the streak and and start working toward taking back the alltime win/loss lead.

Reactions: 4 people
Pretty much as expected from a rival fan base message board. I could see the very same comments here on VN about the gators if they were playing OU. Hopefully,the vols handle their business and take both teams to the woodshed!

O line injuries make this even a tougher game to win but hope springs eternal.Adreniline will be both the team and fans ally. Plus until we beat UF why shouldn't they look down on us?

It doesn't matter what I, or any other fan think about the streak. All that matters is what the players and coaching staff thinks about the game. I think last year it was definitely in the teams head, and I think this year we get past it

How on earth can you say that? Most of the kids we relied on last year were 18/19 years old. They were watching cartoons a few years ago not worrying about what Derek Dooley was doing to this program. This streak is only in the minds of fans like you.

I know this might shock you but our team OVERACHIEVED last season when we lost to Florida by one point. I know some of you Vols fans like to use Florida as a measuring stick, but we really haven't been in the same class as them since the early 2000s. They sent more players to the NFL last year than almost every other team in the SEC. They had 2 players drafted in the 1st round during a down season.

When's the last time we had 2 players drafted in the 1st round?

Some of you folks need to just get over this. We've been beaten to a pulp for 10 years by Florida because they've had BETTER TALENT. That it. It ain't mind tricks. It ain't bad luck. It ain't voodoo. Its simple lack of talent. And don't confuse a few hicupps to teams like Georgia Southern as indications that Florida had dipped to our level of mediocrity. Even while losing to terrible teams like that, they were still talented enough to beat a team like Georgia consistently.

For the first time in a long we'll have MORE TALENT than Florida. Thus, for the first time in a long time you can actually expect us to beat Florida. Rather than simply hoping.

Reactions: 22 people
More gems from the OP's source:

I am not convinced OU is that good. They are unsettled at QB and cobbling together an O Line.

These are similar thoughts to mine except I'd never imagine myself using the word cobbling. Lol. ;)

Im not so sure Oklahoma will.be wlll be that good. They'll beat several patsies in that conference and possibly win it but overall an average team.

If you took UT's YPG and subtracted OU's PPG and then added the combined total of both teams' wins last year, subtracted the number of returning starters for UT, and then added the number of upperclassmen for OU.. If you took all that and added it up and then multiplied it by the number of times Tennessee has beaten Florida in football in the past 3,987 days... It would equal the amount of f@#*s I give about who wins this game.

Saturday, Sept. 12th. 6:00 PM ET, ESPN WatchESPN.
Oklahoma at Tennessee.

With all the interest I see we have on here, we'll have an official game thread organized and posted on here in due time. :)

It's amazing the SEC HOMERS we have here. Do you guys not get that every damn team in the SEC hopes we lose every game. How do you think they reacted when we lose ? They will sing joyfully in church the next morning. Wake up guys .. It's us vs the SEC.. ALL OF EM

Oklahoma at Tennessee | GatorCountry.com Swamp Gas Forums

The only reason that Florida matters to us is the streak. They have beaten our bad teams with bad teams. It all will be set right when the VOLS go to gainsville and stomp them, it's gonna be a gator stomp in the swamp. They have no reason to fear or respect us until we do that. The injury comment is a bunch of junk, I can't wait till they are back and when we beat them it means something, more than just an SEC east win, right now it will be like beating Vandy, we are suppose to and we will beat them. GO VOLS! WIN em ALL!

I care more about the Florida game than the Oklahoma game by far. I'm ready to shut that whole damn fanbase up. I'm still hurting from last year's loss. Make the hurt go away 119.

Reactions: 1 person
Looks about the same as most message boards. The guy rooting for injuries though I root that he falls down a flight of stairs :)

Reactions: 1 person
How on earth can you say that? Most of the kids we relied on last year were 18/19 years old. They were watching cartoons a few years ago not worrying about what Derek Dooley was doing to this program. This streak is only in the minds of fans like you.

I know this might shock you but our team OVERACHIEVED last season when we lost to Florida by one point. I know some of you Vols fans like to use Florida as a measuring stick, but we really haven't been in the same class as them since the early 2000s. They sent more players to the NFL last year than almost every other team in the SEC. They had 2 players drafted in the 1st round during a down season.

When's the last time we had 2 players drafted in the 1st round?

Some of you folks need to just get over this. We've been beaten to a pulp for 10 years by Florida because they've had BETTER TALENT. That it. It ain't mind tricks. It ain't bad luck. It ain't voodoo. Its simple lack of talent. And don't confuse a few hicupps to teams like Georgia Southern as indications that Florida had dipped to our level of mediocrity. Even while losing to terrible teams like that, they were still talented enough to beat a team like Georgia consistently.

For the first time in a long we'll have MORE TALENT than Florida. Thus, for the first time in a long time you can actually expect us to beat Florida. Rather than simply hoping.

picard_clapping.gif

Can we make this post into a thread, sticky it, and then lock it?

Reactions: 6 people
People like to say that we need to "get back to beating Florida" but in reality, at least in modern college football, we haven't really done that very much. I'm 40, and in my lifetime, we've beaten the Gators a grand total of six times. 6.

So I'm hesitant to put all of our hopes for a great season on that one game.

UT will never get respect from anyone until they earn it on the field, and after the last 10 years, the Vols haven't given the Gator fans any reason to respect them. That needs to change in the swamp this year!!

Reactions: 3 people
Wishing for a plane to crash during the UT-FSU game adds to the class factor.

Thought that was funny. Always wondered how the Gators handled that night with their two favorite teams involved.
I bet liquor was sold out all over central FL that day. :-D

VN Store

Back