2015 VolNation Blog Entry #7: The 2014 Freshmen

zjcvols

"On a Tennessee saturday night."
Staff member
To say that the 2014 recruiting class is going to be an important part of the future of Tennessee is an understatement. The Volunteers played 21 true freshman last year, the most in the country. I decided to go through each freshmen (so JUCO's aren't included) and see what impact they will make at Tennessee this season. This list goes alphabetically.

Derek Barnett- The best freshmen defensive linemen in the country last year. A premier pass rusher and future first round pick. Recruiting services usually get it right, but you watch Barnett and wonder how he wasn't a five star player. Expect another 10 sack season. Last season, Barnett was 5th in the country in tackles for loss.

Dillon Bates- Bates was a solid reserve linebacker before an injury forced him to redshirt last year. He most likely won't be a starter this year, but no doubt will get a lot of playing time, especially in nickle packages.

Evan Berry- The fourth safety and a guy making some good noise this year, he became the Volunteers kickoff returner last year and was second in the SEC in kickoff return yardage. There's a chance he could be the starting strong safety next year.

Elliot Berry- A special teams gamer, Berry played nine games last year and figures to be part of the linebacker rotation. He should make more of an impact on the defensive side as a junior and senior.

Gavin Bryant- The middle linebacker redshirted last year and doesn't look to play much this year. It hasn't worked out so far, but not all freshmen can play immediately. Could be a guy that makes an impact his third or fourth year in the program, but with so much depth at linebacker for Tennessee, he could be the odd man out.

Neiko Creamer- It's been a wild ride for Creamer so far. He started out at wide receiver, then moved to linebacker, and is now at tight end. After redshirting last year, he's expect to play some as he is only one of three scholarship tight ends right now that has played the position before. He could provide some nice depth at tight end and see playing time this year.

Rashaan Gaulden- The local product was going to be the starting nickle after a nice freshmen year on special teams, but a broken foot has set him back some. Still, Gaulden has great athleticism and will be a factor at Tennessee. He will very important next year with two senior safeties gone and Cameron Sutton potentially going to the NFL.

Daniel Helm- Helm had a nice freshman year as the backup to Ethan Wolf, but it never clicked for Daniel here and he transferred. He would have been the backup again and provide nice depth but he's off to Duke to play for David Cutcliffe.

Joe Henderson- Henderson never got to play for Tennessee after academic issues and I'm not sure he would have seen a lot of playing time with so much defensive line talent. He's currently at Hutchinson CC and has some nice offers, but I don't believe he would have been an impact player here.

Dewayne Hendrix- This was a disappointing transfer in my opinion. He would have been a good fit here. He played seven games last year and I think would have saw some playing time this year. Tennessee is fine without him, but he's a talented player that will make an impact at Pitt.

Jalen Hurd- Hey, a guy who is still here! We know how good he is. He's not the superb athlete we thought, but he's a mature runner and excellent north/south guy that can do everything. He's the starting tailback and I expect a 1,000 yard season from him this year. Future NFL talent.

Jakob Johnson- Along with Creamer, it's been a weird route for Johnson. He was recruited to be a defensive end, moved to middle linebacker, and never picked it up. After getting passed over there, he is now at tight end but seems to be doing well there. I like Johnson and thought LEO was his best position, but I hope he redshirts this year and can help at tight end next year. I don't expect much this year.

Todd Kelly Jr.- I absolutely love this kid. He's a playmaker in the secondary and I think he's got NFL talent. He's the third safety right now and can play either spot. He will see a lot of time on passing downs and think be better after an All-SEC freshman team year.

Cortez McDowell- A lot of people believe he will have a big year and I think he will be a good player at Tennessee. He was listed as a DB coming out but moved to linebacker and was a special teams force last year playing in all 13 games. He will play a reserve role and be everywhere on special teams, getting a chance to start at linebacker next year.

Aaron Medley- Medley was the starting kicker for the first game and he never relinquished it. He struggled on long kicks last year, but solidify the job and looks to be a good kicker in the future. He does need to work on his kickoffs to be a truly effective game changer, but I'll take 19-20 from 40 yards in all day.

Emmanuel Moseley- If you want to know if Butch Jones can recognize talent, here's your guy. A low three start originally committed to Charlotte, Moseley not only played as a true freshman, but made two starts and had six pass breakups. He struggled some but got better as the year went on. He will be a starter this year and has big time potential.

Treyvon Paulk- After legal issues, Paulk transferred to Hutchinson CC and looks to play this year. He would have helped, but this was an unfortunate situation all around.

D'Andre Payne- This was a guy I thought would be a good player, but it never worked. He played eight games (basically on special teams) but got passed over by other freshmen and transferred back home to Maryland where he will sit out.

Ray Raulerson- Raulerson was moved to center at Tennessee and redshirted last year as he needed to improve his strength. He doesn't figure to be much of a factor this year and I don't think he's going to play much at Tennessee in the future.

Jashon Robertson- Roberterson was an All-American freshmen guard last year after moving from defensive tackle. He's going to be even better this year. I expect a really nice season from him and a future NFL player.

Michael Sawyers- A disappointing one here. Sawyers was a Tennessee guy who played in four games and would have been nice depth, but couldn't keep his head on straight and is in trouble with the law. I wish these kids knew what they had sometimes.

Derell Scott- Another guy I thought would be a great compliment to Hurd, he struggled with injuries and ended up transferring to ECU. Considering the lack of depth at runningback this year, he would have been nice to have as a third option.

Coleman Thomas- An interesting case here. He was the starter at RT and really struggled, eventually getting benched and looking like he wasn't going to be the answer at tackle. He moved to center, but the coaching gave him another shot at tackle and it looks like he could be the starter there again. He played eleven games last year and I imagine he will at the very least play significant minutes on the offensive line.

Vic Wharton- I thought Wharton needed a redshirt but injuries derailed that idea and he caught five passes last year, including a TD in the bowl win. He was a surprise transfer to Cal, but I'm not sure how much run he would gotten at wide receiver. He will be a nice addition at Cal.

Ethan Wolf- Wolf was the starting tight end last year and figures to play an even more prominent role next year. He had 23 catches and I wouldn't be surprised if that number grew to 35 this year. A good blocker, Wolf looks like he could become a great tight end at Tennessee.

Reactions: 6 people
Jalen Hurd- Hey, a guy who is still here! We know how good he is. He's not the superb athlete we thought, but he's a mature runner and excellent north/south guy that can do everything. He's the starting tailback and I expect a 1,000 yard season from him this year. Future NFL talent.

I hope this was a misprint. I fail to see how you could think Jalen is not a "superb athlete." He might be the most freaky athlete we have on our roster. 6'3" 242 lbs. and still being able to run as fast as he does. We have alot of superb athletes on our roster now. And Jalen is definitely one of them.

Reactions: 8 people
I hope this was a misprint. I fail to see how you could think Jalen is not a "superb athlete." He might be the most freaky athlete we have on our roster. 6'3" 242 lbs. and still being able to run as fast as he does. We have alot of superb athletes on our roster now. And Jalen is definitely one of them.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who was thinking that

Reactions: 1 person
I'm working on my conflict management skills, so I'll just say that I do not agree with your assessment of Hurd.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
I count 9 potential NFL players and several very good college players.

Talented class.

Hurd definitely is a superb athlete. He may not have the burst of a Todd Gurley, but could be compared to Eddie George or our own Arian Foster.

Hurd is a very good athlete that can make guys miss, but he's not a freak like Chubb or Fournette. That's not even a shot but people assume he's an elite athlete when he's not. That's not even a bad thing because with his size he can do things that Chubb and Fournette can't.

Hurd definitely is a superb athlete. He may not have the burst of a Todd Gurley, but could be compared to Eddie George or our own Arian Foster.

Well those two guys aren't elite NFL athletes so my point stands.

Hurd is a very good athlete that can make guys miss, but he's not a freak like Chubb or Fournette. That's not even a shot but people assume he's an elite athlete when he's not. That's not even a bad thing because with his size he can do things that Chubb and Fournette can't.

Are you just saying that because he didn't match their production last year? Cause in terms of physical attributes, I'd argue he's more impressive than they are. He's bigger than both of them at 6'3" 240lbs. and is just as fast. Hurd has been timed at 4.37 in the 40 when he was 225 lbs.

Great production doesn't equal physical freak. For example, Derek Barnett was more productive than Myles Garrett (in SEC play) but no one would say he's a more freaky athlete. Or even a freak athlete at all. Production does not equate to freak status. Chubb and Fournette are freak athletes in their own right. But so is Hurd.

Reactions: 3 people

The fact that he is his size and can do things Chubb and Fournette cannot is the reason why he is an elite athlete. And to say Eddie george was not an elite athlete is pretty ridiculous. Athlete does not necessarily mean stats. At 6'4 240lbs with 4% body fat and could move like he did, George was an elite athlete.

Reactions: 3 people
Are you just saying that because he didn't match their production last year? Cause in terms of physical attributes, I'd argue he's more impressive than they are. He's bigger than both of them at 6'3" 240lbs. and is just as fast. Hurd has been timed at 4.37 in the 40 when he was 225 lbs.

Great production doesn't equal physical freak. For example, Derek Barnett was more productive than Myles Garrett (in SEC play) but no one would say he's a more freaky athlete. Or even a freak athlete at all. Production does not equate to freak status. Chubb and Fournette are freak athletes in their own right. But so is Hurd.

He's not as fast. You can give me the 40 times all you want but he's not as explosive as Fournette or Chubb. It's easy to see on the field. Doesn't mean Jalen isn't great, because he's an excellent back but he's not a freak athlete than can rip off an 80 yard run at any time.

The fact that he is his size and can do things Chubb and Fournette cannot is the reason why he is an elite athlete. And to say Eddie george was not an elite athlete is pretty ridiculous. Athlete does not necessarily mean stats. At 6'4 240lbs with 4% body fat and could move like he did, George was an elite athlete.

Not for an NFL running back, he was not.

Hurds only missing trait is homerun speed. He's fast but not quite elite fast.

Did we even get to see Jalen have a chance to bust into the open field? I didn't see him getting chased down from behind too often. The few times I saw him in the open field (the oklahoma game being the most prominent), he was only tracked down by guys with angles.

Even if the 4.37 time is inflated, a guy with 4.5 speed at his size is about as freakish an athlete as you could get.

Did we even get to see Jalen have a chance to bust into the open field? I didn't see him getting chased down from behind too often. The few times I saw him in the open field (the oklahoma game being the most prominent), he was only tracked down by guys with angles.

Even if the 4.37 time is inflated, a guy with 4.5 speed at his size is about as freakish an athlete as you could get.

He was even caught multiple times against Iowa, which I rewatched last night.

And 40 times don't really matter. I'm talking agility, ability to cut on a dime and regain top speed quickly, beating a man around a corner when he has an angle anyways. Jalen can do some of those things, but not on an elite level like Fournette or Chubb.

Running behind the Oline last year like Jalen did.. You're right, he isn't a freak athlete.. More like a super athlete! Freak x10 imo

Either way, Jalen's excellent and has lived up to his five star billing.

He's not as fast. You can give me the 40 times all you want but he's not as explosive as Fournette or Chubb. It's easy to see on the field. Doesn't mean Jalen isn't great, because he's an excellent back but he's not a freak athlete than can rip off an 80 yard run at any time.

Guess we won't find out till the NFL combine in 2017.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8h8-jq3odlg

Look at how many of his big runs last year were runs he busted to the outside. Our o-line was so bad, that he could barely get any yards going up the middle. Thats usually where most of the yards would come if he was not explosive. However, Jalen was able to bust alot of runs to the outside off sweeps. That should let you know he has ELITE speed for a RB his size.

The 4.38 is probably inflated. But I wouldn't be surprised to see him run in the 4.52 range at the combine. Thats what Melvin Gordon timed at. I'm guessing you would consider Melvin Gordon a guy with home run speed.....right?

Hiw so? Average yards per carry? I'm just saying he was a monster that could run a sub 4.5, reached 10k yards, never missed a game, and did it at the college and pro level.

He averaged 3.5 ypc and had one run of 50 yards in his career.

Good back, not explosive.

Guess we won't find out till the NFL combine in 2017.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8h8-jq3odlg

Look at how many of his big runs last year were runs he busted to the outside. Our o-line was so bad, that he could barely get any yards going up the middle. Thats usually where most of the yards would come if he was not explosive. However, Jalen was able to bust alot of runs to the outside off sweeps. That should let you know he has ELITE speed for a RB his size.

The 4.38 is probably inflated. But I wouldn't be surprised to see him run in the 4.52 range at the combine. Thats what Melvin Gordon timed at. I'm guessing you would consider Melvin Gordon a guy with home run speed.....right?

Yes but he still can't beat guys to the corner, turn on the jets, and blow by everyone for huge gains. Any big gains he got was usually because he used power to beat his man. Which is fine.

And again 40 times really don't matter on a football field. Jalen can run a 4.3 at the combine, I'm going with what my eyes see.

VN Store

Back