2015 Vol Linebacker Preview

Kirkland Jr. is a highly touted recruit who is a solid all-around player. Defensive coordinator John Jancek has raved about him this fall. He is likely the most athletic option at the position and the long term answer.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YO0WraZsBrQ[/youtube]

Reactions: 2 people
Kirkland gets the nod, as long as he keeps learning the system. And he seems to be progressing at a fast rate.

Sounds like a GREAT kid...sounds like The Mike!

How 'bout Heather, living out her "I'm the Teacher...YOU'LL be my student!" Fantasy with the question about classes out of left field??!! Could she have "undressed Darrin with her eyes at least 3 times in that short clip? SHEESH...

Sounds like a GREAT kid...sounds like The Mike!

How 'bout Heather, living out her "I'm the Teacher...YOU'LL be my student!" Fantasy with the question about classes out of left field??!! Could she have "undressed Darrin with her eyes at least 3 times in that short clip? SHEESH...

Lol I noticed that also

Reactions: 1 person
It would be nice to know the evaluation that the coaches have given each of the candidates vying for LB spots. We have heard constantly of 5-6 of them, but what about the rest? What are they doing right? Where are they deficient? Is it mandatory that a player be in the system with at least one Spring camp under their belts before they get a look?

It would be nice to know the evaluation that the coaches have given each of the candidates vying for LB spots. We have heard constantly of 5-6 of them, but what about the rest? What are they doing right? Where are they deficient? Is it mandatory that a player be in the system with at least one Spring camp under their belts before they get a look?

A lot of the evaluation is what they see (Speed, instincts, aggression, technique, playmaking)

And what they feel (the energy of the defense when certain personnel are in the lineup opposed to others.)

There's no "application" for the position. Interview process yes, but it it's mostly what you see and how all the coaches see a particular player.

Darrin Kirkland Jr talks as if he is going to take care of business one way or another. His confidence will take care of him during the competition. He doesn't worry about what the other candidates are doing... as you notice he keeps saying playing "his" game.
He's focused on what he is capable of. The dude is going to be very good very soon.

He'll make mistakes, but we are fortunate he will learn to play LB in college from us.

Kirkland gets the nod, as long as he keeps learning the system. And he seems to be progressing at a fast rate.

Yeah I think they will rotate Kirkland and Bynum quite a bit in the first three games. I really think it's Kirklands to lose, with his natural ability

A lot of the evaluation is what they see (Speed, instincts, aggression, technique, playmaking)

And what they feel (the energy of the defense when certain personnel are in the lineup opposed to others.)

There's no "application" for the position. Interview process yes, but it it's mostly what you see and how all the coaches see a particular player.

Darrin Kirkland Jr talks as if he is going to take care of business one way or another. His confidence will take care of him during the competition. He doesn't worry about what the other candidates are doing... as you notice he keeps saying playing "his" game.
He's focused on what he is capable of. The dude is going to be very good very soon.

He'll make mistakes, but we are fortunate he will learn to play LB in college from us.

I probably should have worded my post a little differently. What is it about the other linebackers in the group that are keeping them from 1) competing for spots and/or 2) being potential candidates for the 2-3 deep, and/or 3) contributing on special teams?

Have redshirt candidates already been identified?

I probably should have worded my post a little differently. What is it about the other linebackers in the group that are keeping them from 1) competing for spots and/or 2) being potential candidates for the 2-3 deep, and/or 3) contributing on special teams?

Have redshirt candidates already been identified?

Good questions UC. Obviously im not in the war room with Butch, and John but it's simple. They had to narrow the field.
Bynum is the most senior and he played live snaps at MIke.
Jumper is just better than people realize.
Kirkland is the most talented.

So Jumper is better than Bates, Bryant possibly even Bynum. Kirkland is better than Jumper.
Kirkland is getting better and better with reps and has very quickly taken a lead. because he got the reps.
Look for Jumper to be the backup.

If you want specific things or why others aren't as good as these 3. Bates is fighting injuries and is best suited for OLB. Bryant is limited in his athletic ability. Smith was just getting a look there.

Now there won't be any redshirts imo. Bryant, BAtes and BYnum have all red-shirted. Austin Smith more than anything was just getting a look at Mike. he will still play SAM when the season starts and he won't rs either.

All of these guys will play special teams. Bates, Bryant and Smith (OLB) will all effect special teams.

Good questions UC. Obviously im not in the war room with Butch, and John but it's simple. They had to narrow the field.
Bynum is the most senior and he played live snaps at MIke.
Jumper is just better than people realize.
Kirkland is the most talented.

So Jumper is better than Bates, Bryant possibly even Bynum. Kirkland is better than Jumper.
Kirkland is getting better and better with reps and has very quickly taken a lead. because he got the reps.
Look for Jumper to be the backup.

If you want specific things or why others aren't as good as these 3. Bates is fighting injuries and is best suited for OLB. Bryant is limited in his athletic ability. Smith was just getting a look there.

Now there won't be any redshirts imo. Bryant, BAtes and BYnum have all red-shirted. Austin Smith more than anything was just getting a look at Mike. he will still play SAM when the season starts and he won't rs either.

All of these guys will play special teams. Bates, Bryant and Smith (OLB) will all effect special teams.

I guess we can never know what is going on in the heads of the staff with some of these guys, especially if they are rarely or never mentioned. I assume that McDowell will be in the mix behind JRM at Will or at Sam so that leaves players like Sapp and Berry and walk-ons Knoll and Maddox.

I really like these write ups. How many have there been? Just this one and the one on the secondary? Keep them coming.

I guess we can never know what is going on in the heads of the staff with some of these guys, especially if they are rarely or never mentioned. I assume that McDowell will be in the mix behind JRM at Will or at Sam so that leaves players like Sapp and Berry and walk-ons Knoll and Maddox.

MLB
- DK jr
- Jumper
- Bynum
- Bates
- Bryant

SAM
Maggitt
Weathered
Austin Smith

WILL
JRM
MCDowell
Berry
Sapp

LEO
Maggitt
Weathered
Smith
Taylor

Something like this..

MLB
- DK jr
- Jumper
- Bynum
- Bates
- Bryant

SAM
Maggitt
Weathered
Austin Smith

WILL
JRM
MCDowell
Berry
Sapp

LEO
Maggitt
Weathered
Smith
Taylor

Something like this..

You seem to have a good grasp on the lineup. If they moved Bates back to Will where do you think he would fall in the lineup?

VN Store

Back