3 Toughest Games This Season?

DiderotsGhost

I can't wait for the season to start, so here's another pointless thread to pass the time. ;)

What do you all view as our three toughest games this year?

I'm going with Oklahoma, Georgia, and Alabama.

Oklahoma

Why they could beat us: Strong running game could give us problems. Our run D was a weakness last year and we fared much better against passing oriented teams. Also, Oklahoma tore apart our offensive line last year and could possibly do it again this year.

Why we could win: While OK's D-line gave us fits last year, they lost their experienced vets at that position. Moreover, they are replacing a lot of experience on their O-line as well. Our pass rush could be an issue for them this season.

Prediction: Tough game, but I like our chances much better this year. I'll pick UT to win.

Georgia

Why they could beat us: Feel like UGA, more than any other team, is being underrated by VN posters. UGA is absolutely loaded at almost every position other than QB. Jeremy Pruitt has turned that defense around and it's going to be much tougher this year than last (we got them at the beginning of the season when they were still struggling). Their running game is going to be a nightmare for us, particularly if our run D doesn't improve quickly. Even the questions at QB may not be as big as people imagine; can you remember UGA getting poor QB play much in the past decade?

Why we could win: We played them close the past two seasons with much less talent. While their D should be good, we have a lot of weapons on offense to make things more difficult. We may be able to create some problems for their QB; remember they had difficulty passing on us last year with fewer question marks in the passing game. New OC had very mixed track record in the NFL.

Prediction: Feel like we deserve some luck after the last two losses in this series. Unfortunately, I think this is going to be one of our losses this year.

Alabama

Why they could beat us: Because this team is always loaded with talent. Even with Hurd and Kamara, our O-line could struggle mightily getting the run game going against Bama's tough line, as well. Our run D could also be an issue against Bama.

Why we could win: Alabama's D seems to only have one major weakness: defending mobile QBs. Dobbs ran wild against this team in the 2nd half last year. Our D could give Kiffin some problems, too, in the passing game.

Prediction: I'd love to see us beat Bama in Tuscaloosca more than anything this season, but it's going to be very difficult. Bama still looks like the better team on paper and we're on the road, so I'll pick them to win. But I'm really hoping I'm wrong!

The Others

Arkansas' run game could be an issue for us, but a season-ending injury to their 1st string RB is a problem for them. Also, their defense might have some issues. Still, they'll try to slow the game down and give their defense time to rest for Dobbs. I'm picking UT to win, but this is one of those games where if we don't "bring it", they could give us fits.

I have awful memories of our last game against Mizzou on the road. One of our worst moments in 2013. Our team is better in 2015 than 2013 and they lack a lot of the weapons they had that year, but playing in Mizzou in November is still tough. Wouldn't be shocked if we pulled a big upset somewhere this season, but ended up losing this one.

I don't want to rule out South Carolina. Defense should improve this year. And they are always great on offense. Butch has had Spurrier's number so far, though, and their talent level is slowlydwindling. Think we have a good opportunity to make it 3 in a row against the OBC.

Florida
is worth mentioning, too. We play them at the Swamp. Their O-line has some issues that we may be able to exploit, but their D will likely be stout, as it has been the past several years. I think we'll end the streak this year, though.

Of course, I'll add the caveat that while I've been good at predicting our overall records the past few seasons, I've been poor at predicting individual games. Overall, I see us as an 8-4 or maybe 9-3 team. Wouldn't be surprised if we beat Bama and UGA while losing to Mizzou and Oklahoma; or vice-verse.

Reactions: 4 people
Alabama, Georgia and Florida.I only pick Fla over OU because I feel like we're snake bit by them.I hope we get them this year but until our O-line shows me something I'm not too sure!

Florida, Arkansas, and South Carolina.

If we win all 3 of these games we are practically guaranteed an eight win season.

Alabama, Arkansas, and auburn in the seccg.or LSU in the seccg.

I'll believe it when I see it.

Oklahoma,Georgia and Bama gonna need to step up their game and prove it on the field!:shaking2:

Last edited:
I think Western Carolina, North Texas, and Vanderbilt will find UT to be their toughest games. The other games look like knuckle busting battles.

Three toughest games are indeed: OK, GA, AL but I think we will win 1 of these. I feel like I'm the only poster who thinks we may lose to GA.

Which means, if 9 - 3 is our floor, there is a chance we could lose to a team we shouldn't.

We can't lose to these these teams: Florida, Arkansas, and Mizzou.

Which means the third loss has to come from teams we shouldn't lose to. The Ol' ball coach has us circled this year. He may get us. He consistently pulls one out he shouldn't.

Fact is, if we pull one out from the OK, GA, AL three, Team #119 should be 10 - 2.

Alabama, Arkansas, and auburn in the seccg.or LSU in the seccg.

Toughest games will be: Oklahoma, Alabama & Florida. I predict we will lose all three of them.

Toss up games: UGA, Missouri & Arkansas

Almost Guarantee wins: The other 6 games.

On paper, Georgia seems the second-toughest game of the season. I mean, they're the second-highest ranking team we play, after Bama.

But when you look at how we match up against them, and how we've performed against them in recent years with less talent, perhaps not so much.

On the other hand, Spurrier is pissed. The man is beside himself, apoplectic that Butch found a way to beat him last year. He is deeply embarrassed, especially since Tennessee wasn't the only team with a dramatic comeback win over his Gamecocks (but the most painful for him personally).

No, South Carolina isn't as good a team as Georgia. Or Oklahoma, Arkansas, not even as good as Mizzou. But they are more dangerous to Tennessee in 2015 than all those. They are the #2 most difficult game of the year. Purely because of Steve Spurrier's ego, combined with his fantastic ability to coach a bunch of college kids into outperforming themselves.

So 'Bama is the #1 toughest ... USCe is the #2 ... and who do you put at #3? Oklahoma and Arkansas are both solid candidates. But we get both of them at home. I'm going with Mizzou. It's away. It's also a November game, which gives it a bit of camouflage--our program is used to slogging through the hardest part of the schedule in October, then being able to coast a bit in November with the standard Kentucky-Vandy-cupcake fare. Tucking a tougher game in the middle of what's supposed to be an easier period is like throwing a bucket of cold water in your face: it can be shocking, even a little disorienting.

So those are my very unorthodox 3 toughest games:

* Alabama
* South Carolina
* Missouri

Not what you might have expected, I agree.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Toughest games will be: Oklahoma, Alabama & Florida. I predict we will lose all three of them.

The hype train must have left before you got to the station.

Those are the ones i'd pick. People are selling OU a little short here. It's not like Bob Stoops hasn't had time to build a program. I like our chances in that game but it's differently going to be one of the tougher ones to win. Florida deserves to be much higher. Until we actually beat them that's a huge hurdle.. Our first month is going to tell us a whole lot..

Three toughest games are indeed: OK, GA, AL but I think we will win 1 of these. I feel like I'm the only poster who thinks we may lose to GA.

Which means, if 9 - 3 is our floor, there is a chance we could lose to a team we shouldn't.

Which means the third loss has to come from teams we shouldn't lose to. The Ol' ball coach has us circled this year. He may get us. He consistently pulls one out he shouldn't.

Fact is, if we pull one out from the OK, GA, AL three, Team #119 should be 10 - 2.

I think 7-5 is our floor.

I am also predicting 10-2 or 11-1...

but a injury here or there, and we are still relying on true freshman to a point... we could easily be 7-5 or 8-4

But I think the frshman we have a QB could still lead this team to 8 plus wins say Dobbs gets hurt.

It's going to be a very interestign year for sure

Agree on USC. Worry about them. Spurrier is very motivated to silence the naysayers this year. I'm afraid he does have the TN game circled as a big revenge game. However, I'm not sure you can just "turn it on" if you don't have the horses. I don't think he has the horses, but I kind of look at him as a wounded animal that will pull out all the stops in this game.

Reactions: 1 person
The game I think we have the least chance of winning is Bama. So I'll concede an L in Tuscaloosa.

The game I think we could lose because of its position on the schedule is OU. It's the first home game, we're still a young team and we haven't always played up to potential in big games. The OU game sets up like the UF game last year. High stakes home game, CheckerNeyland, sell-out crowd, power program opponent-- all can be overwhelming and cause distraction against a ranked team that will be ready to play.

I think we'll drop one against Arky, UGA or Mizzou. It could be any of the three-- Arky is earliest in the schedule and a week before UGA, UGA will have the East on the line and Mizzou is away against a toss-up team that always finds a way to win as the clock runs down.

UF, USCe and UK are games that should never be in question, IMO... but UF tends to psych us out, Spurrier will circle this date and bring his best game and UK thinks we're their arch rival and is calling for a blackout to fire up the crowd and keep us out of their copycat checkerboard endzones. Still, can't see us giving up these three.

So lots of tough games... but 9-3 and a bowl win, and we're not looking back.

1. Mizzou
I'm saying this will be the toughest game of the year because it could determine who goes to the sec championship game. It's also a road game and mizzou has been surprisingly good the last two years. This will be a big pressure game for Butch.
2. Florida
Tennessee hasn't beaten them in 10 years. Being a rivalry game, Florida will play hard and they still have a lot of talent. I expect this game to be decided by 3 points or less.
3. Arkansas
After Tennessee plays a tough road game against Florida, they will take on a big physical Arkansas team. Arky is picked to be the surprise team out of the west. This is another pressure game bc everyone will use this as the measuring stick.

Agree, however think we will win 1/3 or maybe 2/3 in the Tough game category. OK and FL are wins.

Toss up we will win 2 of 3 and could win all three. MO on the road will be a tough win but at Neyland should give us an edge.

On Paper we are better than 9/12 teams we face. Home field advantage gives us an edge. I think 11/12 games s it will come come down to variables and intangibles. We will beat UGA/FL this year.

VN Store

Back