Practice #15 Updates 8.17

Fingers

Practice started at 6:50 and should be complete in a couple hours. I may be unavailable later, but I'll try to update this post if I can. Otherwise, all of you please keep us updated on any news in this thread.

Third freshman to have his stripe off: QB @qdormady ➖
CMptWc4WsAAPl_d.jpg

Fourth freshman, second tonight to have a stripe removed: WR Jauan Jennings ➖
CMptw6QWEAAnwqN.jpg

KNOXNEWS VIDEO HIGHLIGHTS

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yo39nEvGD74[/YOUTUBE]

VQ QUICK HITS
-Hurd and Kamara did not dress
-Bates and Evan Berry in green.
-Weatherd's knee wrapped heavily but no likely to be limited long term.
-North, Robertson, Jones and Kelly absent.
There was plenty of work on punt and kickoff returns as well, with Josh Malone, Alton 'Pig' Howard, Micah Abernathy and Cam Sutton among the various return men in the combined drills.

Freshman wide receiver Preston Williams is still awaiting the results of the ACT test he took a week ago today. While he waits, Williams continues to workout and was in the indoor complex Monday doing box jumps and broad jumps with a weighted chain around his neck as he continues to rehab from the torn ACL he suffered last fall.

RUCKER'S RAPID REVIEW
-Missing on offense: (Hurd, Kamara not dressed) Kelly, Howard, Croom, North, Blanc, Robertson, Kendrick, Jones.
-Missing on defense: Sutton, Martin, Miller, Lewis, Saulsberry. (Evan Berry, Bates in green)
-Ethan Wolf practiced again after returning Saturday
UT BLOCK DAY: The Vols’ daily “Maxim One” period focused on cut-blocking, with offensive players diving into dummies and defensive players working around a big medicine ball to avoid cut blocks. Offensive linemen typically love cut blocking work, and nearly every defensive lineman in football history has hated it. Jones enjoyed taunting some of his defensive linemen — especially junior Danny O'Brien — about the joys of cut-blocking drills.

DUSTIN DOPIRAK
There were a few noticeable returnees, though. Senior wide receiver Alton “Pig” Howard was back in action Monday, as was sophomore linebacker Cortez McDowell. Redshirt freshman linebacker Dillon Bates and sophomore safety Evan Berry were both in pads, though both wore green non-contact jerseys.

Also, freshman offensive tackle Chance Hall, sophomore tight end Ethan Wolf and junior guard/center Dylan Wiesman, all of whom participated in Saturday’s practice after missing time last week, were practicing on Monday.

Dustin Dopirak
I missed that McKenzie was out. It was a real rush to take roll call. Most interesting thing I heard today was from John Jancek on the middle linebacker competition. Jancek said it's down to Kenny Bynum, Colton Jumper and Darrin Kirkland Jr., which you probably already surmised. But Jancek said Kirkland did some things at tonight's practice "that you can't coach."

Patrick Brown
Granted, we only got two periods so McKenzie may have been hiding somewhere. It'd have to be somewhere kinda big, though. #analysis

QUOTES/INTERVIEWS

CMpu_0yWwAQSVqh.jpg:small

JANCEK: I think collectively as a group, we are playing really good team defense. It's not just one guy
JANCEK: I really have not settled on starters, I've settled on depth. Who is going to play 25-30 snaps a game
JANCEK: competition is the greatest motivator. When you know the #2 guy or #3 guy is pushing you ...that's motivation
JANCEK: we still have things that we can add and we have the personnel to do it

CMpvh3PWcAEo5jE.jpg:small

DeBORD: @qdormady is smart, has picked up a lot of things. He worked hard this summer & had had a good training camp.
DeBORD: Josh Malone has really been focusing in on the little details. Give Coach Azzanni some credit for that.
DeBORD: Josh (Dobbs) continues to get better in every practice. Right now his accuracy is really good.

ORANGE SWARM (VOL PHOTOS)
CMpwp0hWIAAcBf2.png

Last edited:
Reactions: 41 people
Needs me some FootVols news. . . in a bad way.

Third freshman to have his stripe off: QB @qdormady

Fourth freshman, second tonight to have a stripe removed: WR Jauan Jennings

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
might not get much...Butch really limiting practice access

Wes Rucker
‏@wesrucker247 Two periods of #Vols practice will be open to reporters tonight. One of those periods is stretching. Comical.

if whining ever becomes an Olympic sport then Rucker is a fav for the gold :)

Wes Rucker ‏@wesrucker247 · 5h5 hours ago
People don’t like hearing reporters talk about access issues, but then people demand more news. So which is it?

At some point, you’d like to think fans will demand more coverage of their team than pictures of stretching and in-house propaganda.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people

Wes Rucker
‏@wesrucker247 Two periods of #Vols practice will be open to reporters tonight. One of those periods is stretching. Comical.

Wes pretending to be a reporter is comical.

Reactions: 8 people

Wes Rucker

That is absolutely hilarious.

Wes Rucker

People don’t like hearing reporters talk about access issues, but then people demand more news. So which is it?

At some point, you’d like to think fans will demand more coverage of their team than pictures of stretching and in-house propaganda.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 11
Reactions: 6 people

Wes Rucker

He is such a doucher

Monday practice is in the books! Thoughts from @UTCoachDeBo and @UTCoachJancek coming soon!

VN Store

Back