Ranking every SEC head coaching job by destination

YankeeVol

To some, war is hell. To us, it’s sanctuary.
Here’s a definition of each of the categories we’re going to be grading the jobs on:

Location: The city/state in which the campus is located. Quality of life there for family, entertainment, etc.
Fan support: Amount of fans, fans ability to show up in the stands when things aren’t going well, etc.
Tradition/prestige: The clout the program carries based on its past accomplishments.
Stadium: Quality of the stadium, size of the stadium, crowd, and vibe of game day atmosphere.
In-state talent: The quality of high school recruits that are predisposed to come play for the football program.

6. TENNESSEE
Location: The Smoky Mountains are lovely, and Knoxville is a good-sized town for a family.
Fan support: Though they haven’t had much to cheer for in recent seasons, Volunteers fans are as dedicated as they come.
Tradition/prestige: There are conference and national championship aspirations surrounding this program, in part because their impressive history says it is possible.
Stadium: It may be old and a little tight on space, but the 100,000-plus crowds clad in orange and singing Rocky Top at Neyland Stadium create one of the best home-field advantages in college football.
In-state talent: Tennessee, as a state, is nowhere near the league’s top talent producers, but the Volunteers generally have their pick of the lot on what has been a decent state for recruiting in recent seasons.

Ranking every SEC head coaching job

It's a pretty accurate list IMO

Reactions: 1 person
Fair. I agree with the list. TAMU is a little debatable though. I'd swap LSU and TAMU.

I'd flip-flop Tennessee and Georgia, otherwise, looks about right. Call me a homer. Go ahead. Probably true.

Reactions: 2 people
I'd flip-flop Tennessee and Georgia, otherwise, looks about right. Call me a homer. Go ahead. Absolutely true.

Athens is a nice little town. They blow us away as far as Instate talent goes ( a good bit of our best players ever hail from GA).

Haha! 14th for Vandy....this oughtta bolster recruiting

14. VANDERBILT
Location: High marks here. Nashville is one of the “it” cities in America right now, and can safely be called the SEC’s top city.
Fan support: The Commodores are not fighting a fair fight here. The worst support in the league comes from being the only private school with a small enrollment, populated primarily by folks that don’t call the Vanderbilt area home.
Tradition/prestige: Aside from recent brushes with success under James Franklin, there just hasn’t been much in the way of winning since Dan McGugin left the job in the 1930s.
Stadium: In spite of recent renovations, Vanderbilt Stadium is far and away the worst stadium in the league.
In-state talent: Tennessee has developed a better reputation for recruiting in recent years, but Vanderbilt’s admission standards leaves coaches unable to recruit a significant number of them.

Athens is a nice little town. They blow us away as far as Instate talent goes ( a good bit of our best players ever hail from GA).

22 of our current players hail from Georgia compared to 26 for Auburn.

Auburn gets a nod for "short distance and high Atlanta-area recruiting" yet Tennessee doesn't.

In-state talent doesn't matter in modern football unless the kid grows up being a die-hard fan of his state school. Lot more transient populations and a bevy of other factors (such as increased ease of travel for family compared to the 80s) are why.

Proximity matters for recruiting, not what your arbitrary state borders are.

Of course, proximity leads to an inflation in "in-state" talent but when it's leaving your state (like LSU) it doesn't matter what you have in state.

Reactions: 4 people

Oh, you're right about me being a homer, heh. :)

But as to the in-state talent, consider this...

Name the 10 biggest play-making studs on the Vols roster today. Go ahead, jot them down. Don't peek ahead...

Ok, compare your list to this one: Barnett, Dobbs, Hurd, Maggitt, Reeves-Maybin, Sutton, Howard, North, Pearson, Randolph, Medley, Wolf, Robertson -- I tossed in a few extra, to increase the chance of your 10 being covered.

Pretty close to the same?

Now check this out:
  • Barnett - Tennessee
  • Dobbs - Georgia
  • Hurd - Tennessee
  • Maggitt - Florida
  • Reeves-Maybin - Tennessee
  • Sutton - Georgia
  • Howard - Florida
  • North - North Carolina
  • Pearson - Virginia
  • Randolph - Georgia
  • Medley - Tennessee
  • Wolf - Ohio
  • Robertson - Tennessee
Final score of Vols key playmakers:
  • Tennessee = 5
  • Georgia = 3
  • Florida = 2
  • Virginia = 1
  • North Carolina = 1
  • Ohio = 1
I've even seen it mentioned twice in the past few weeks: Tennessee as a state is improving notably as a source of HS talent.

Go Vols!

Reactions: 3 people
Tuscaloosa is an hour each way from Birmingham and Birmingham isn't exactly a great city. Furthermore, to say that Alabama has a "healthy" amount of top recruits isn't honest. They usually have a couple more than Tennessee who the writers note have a lack of in state talent.

Reactions: 4 people
Tuscaloosa is an hour each way from Birmingham and Birmingham isn't exactly a great city. Furthermore, to say that Alabama has a "healthy" amount of top recruits isn't honest. They usually have a couple more than Tennessee who the writers note have a lack of in state talent.

Which goes to prove: being assigned to Hell is a smart career move if that's where the pinnacle of your field takes you.

The writers just don't know how to write that down without fudging the criteria they're otherwise ignoring. :)

Oh, you're right about me being a homer, heh. :)

But as to the in-state talent, consider this...

Name the 10 biggest play-making studs on the Vols roster today. Go ahead, jot them down. Don't peek ahead...

Ok, compare your list to this one: Barnett, Dobbs, Hurd, Maggitt, Reeves-Maybin, Sutton, Howard, North, Pearson, Randolph, Medley, Wolf, Robertson -- I tossed in a few extra, to increase the chance of your 10 being covered.

Pretty close to the same?

Now check this out:
  • Barnett - Tennessee
  • Dobbs - Georgia
  • Hurd - Tennessee
  • Maggitt - Florida
  • Reeves-Maybin - Tennessee
  • Sutton - Georgia
  • Howard - Florida
  • North - North Carolina
  • Pearson - Virginia
  • Randolph - Georgia
  • Medley - Tennessee
  • Wolf - Ohio
  • Robertson - Tennessee
Final score of Vols key playmakers:
  • Tennessee = 5
  • Georgia = 3
  • Florida = 2
  • Virginia = 1
  • North Carolina = 1
  • Ohio = 1
I've even seen it mentioned twice in the past few weeks: Tennessee as a state is improving notably as a source of HS talent.

Go Vols!

It's improving, but it still doesn't compare to GA, FL, TX, or even SC. Of course 2 of the 3 you "tossed in" are from TN to justify your post. IF Butch can continue to keep the instate talent instate, then yes I can somewhat agree.

It's improving, but it still doesn't compare to GA, FL, TX, or even SC. Of course 2 of the 3 you "tossed in" are from TN to justify your post. IF Butch can continue to keep the instate talent instate, then yes I can somewhat agree.

Heh, you're right. On both counts. But we knew up front, I'm a homer :)

247 composites disagree with you.

From 2013-2016 Tennessee cranked out 1 5* and 35 4*s compared to 1 5* and 24 4*s for South Carolina. SC has 4 4* for the 2017 class... Tennessee has 10. For comparison, AL has 1/12 and Georgia has 1/32 and Florida has 5/34.

No states compare with GA, FL and TX for talent output. CA and OH might but IMO fall short overall in the long run.

Last edited:
Lists like this always seem to reflect the current competitiveness of the programs. If this had been made around the year 2000, we would probably be 1 or 2. We'd be in the top 3 at the very least.

1 Bama
2 Georgia
3 Florida
4 LSU
5 Tennessee
6 ATM
7 Auburn
8 Ole Miss
9 South Carolina
10 Arkansas
11 Missouri
12 Miss State
13 Kentucky
14 Candy

My list is based on facilities, tradition and recruiting base not based on state lines.

I'm sorry but its honestly Bama, Florida, and UT top three. Uga and LSU 4 and 5.

22 of our current players hail from Georgia compared to 26 for Auburn.

Auburn gets a nod for "short distance and high Atlanta-area recruiting" yet Tennessee doesn't.

In-state talent doesn't matter in modern football unless the kid grows up being a die-hard fan of his state school. Lot more transient populations and a bevy of other factors (such as increased ease of travel for family compared to the 80s) are why.

Proximity matters for recruiting, not what your arbitrary state borders are.

Of course, proximity leads to an inflation in "in-state" talent but when it's leaving your state (like LSU) it doesn't matter what you have in state.
so true. Instate recruiting is important but more important is being able to recruit hotbeds for talent. We are in a great place for it. The carolinas, Georgia, Alabama and pretty close to Florida as well. Regional is important compared. Now Georgia doesn't need to go outside of it borders to get great players but not every player wants to stay home. So many factors

Haha! 14th for Vandy....this oughtta bolster recruiting

14. VANDERBILT
Location: High marks here. Nashville is one of the “it” cities in America right now, and can safely be called the SEC’s top city.
Fan support: The Commodores are not fighting a fair fight here. The worst support in the league comes from being the only private school with a small enrollment, populated primarily by folks that don’t call the Vanderbilt area home.
Tradition/prestige: Aside from recent brushes with success under James Franklin, there just hasn’t been much in the way of winning since Dan McGugin left the job in the 1930s.
Stadium: In spite of recent renovations, Vanderbilt Stadium is far and away the worst stadium in the league.
In-state talent: Tennessee has developed a better reputation for recruiting in recent years, but Vanderbilt’s admission standards leaves coaches unable to recruit a significant number of them.

Come on KB! You're better than this.

No one gave 2 shYts about Vandy prior to Franklin...and he's gone. They're back in the cellar where they belong.

VN Store

Back