Starting 5 on O-line still up in the air per Mahoney today.

1standgoal

Not very encouraging knowing the O-line personnel hasn't established themselves with just 3 weeks before the season opener. Jackson's surprise injury takes into account one position. Assume Robertson is back in 2 weeks. Mosley has to be Jackson's replacement. He's the only intimidating lineman the Vols have. Why they leave Crowder at center is equally confusing as why Kerbyson is still at LT. IMO, Thomas has to move to center, Richmond at RT, and Kendrick or Chance Hall takes LT for there to be any improvement in 2015. Go Vols.

Reactions: 2 people
Not very encouraging knowing the O-line personnel hasn't established themselves with just 3 weeks before the season opener. Jackson's surprise injury takes into account one position. Assume Robertson is back in 2 weeks. Mosley has to be Jackson's replacement. He's the only intimidating lineman the Vols have. Why they leave Crowder at center is equally confusing as why Kerbyson is still at LT. IMO, Thomas has to move to center, Richmond at RT, and Kendrick or Chance Hall takes LT for there to be any improvement in 2015. Go Vols.

we could save Mahoney's salary. Obviously you have it all figured out....based on those zero times you have been to practice with these guys.

Reactions: 31 people
Whats coach jones like in real person? Tell him hey for me.

Reactions: 4 people

You've made many baseless and likely false assumptions in your post.

Why is Crowder still there? Because so far he's EARNED IT. But if you need something tangible, go back and watch how the Vol OL performed without him last year then after he returned for the bowl game.

Mosley... ain't the guy according to any news leaking out. It sounds like Jones is establishing himself behind Robertson.... and Robertson best not take too long to heal.

Kerbyson... again, HE EARNED IT. It does NOT appear that anyone is seriously challenging him right now.

They are generating competition and looking for the best five. Things can change if someone emerges but by most reports if the seasons started today you'd see Kerbyson, Kendrick, Crowder, Jones, and Thomas.

And since Jones has said that OL is a "developmental" position... the wise move is to wait until HE reveals who has "developed" the best.

Reactions: 16 people
Whats coach jones like in real person? Tell him hey for me.

Whats the problem? 1standgoal is just giving his opinion like everyone else on this site. A couple of his points are head scratchers but a couple others have already been said by many in other threads and they may have some validity. We don't have to agree on everything.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people
Whats the problem? 1standgoal is just giving his opinion like everyone else on this site. A couple of his points are head scratchers but a couple others have already been said by many in other threads and they may have some validity. We don't have to agree on everything.

is Smokey not allowed to disagree with 1standgoals opinion?

Reactions: 3 people
he made fun of 1st opinion, same thing.

Not really. See SJT18's post? He disagreed and brought facts to support his opinion. I don't care what Smokey0625 says it just seemed like people were jumping on 1standgoal for no real reason. What can I say I'm in a caring mood tonight. Probably the lack of alcohol.

I think several may have taken the OP the way I did.

First, he assumed a problem when there might really be no problem.

Then he made a bunch of assumptions about player ability and positions in the pecking order which do not align with what the coaches are saying or doing or what has been reported.

Basically, it came across as a complaint looking for a reason.

Reactions: 12 people
Look the faux battle this year is thankfully not at QB. It's on the oline. Part of why it's being played up is because it is genuine we need improvement and coaches hope young guys can step up. Reality says that like most freshman QB's even if talented they won't be more capable than an older guy with experience. Jones will get a shot and Drew may later but I wouldn't read too much into major changes.

Good news is by nearly all accounts the guys we question or questioned last year are more experienced, committed to holding their spots, and are getting better.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
what about jack jones and drew Richmond? Last I heard they were doing pretty good at holding there own. Overreacting aren't we my friend?

With most fans with such high expectations,the online is going to determine the season. They must show up in a big way this year. Qb,Wr,RB will not matter without blocking. I seen these guys last year against Utah state and Arkansas state omg they must play better. Oklahoma game will tell it all.

With most fans with such high expectations,the online is going to determine the season. They must show up in a big way this year. Qb,Wr,RB will not matter without blocking. I seen these guys last year against Utah state and Arkansas state omg they must play better. Oklahoma game will tell it all.

Should have seen them against Missouri and Chattanooga. With having a true Freshman that was recruited as a DL starting at right guard and a true Fresman starting at right tackle it was a recipe for disaster. It was however pretty much unavoidable for CBJ since thats pretty much all we had. Add that our best option at LT was a walk on and even after tearing his ACL was still our best option is sadly incredible. I see no chance the OL isn't better this year but I'm not sold on them being improved enough to win battles against good defensive teams.

Last edited:
Should have seen them against Missouri and Chattanooga. With having a true Freshman that was recruited as a DL starting at right guard and a true Fresman starting at right tackle it was a recipe for disaster. It was however pretty much unavoidable for CBJ since thats pretty much all we had. Add that our best option at LT was a walk on and even after tearing his ACL was still our best option is sadly incredible. I see no chance the OL isn't better this year but I'm not sold on them being improved enough to win battles against good defensive teams.

Another year in the S&C program should serve them well. With Jackson out, I would have hoped Blair would have lived up to his billing, but it seems that just isn't happening. Kerbeyson could move in to left guard. It just seems to me KK's more natural position.

However, the depth is definitely improved. So, no matter who starts in Nashville (perhaps the 5 mentioned earlier), they best play their guts out. There are more better options hungry and wanting to make an impact. Looking for Jack Jones and Drew Richmond to be ready to take a spot.

This sounds like a disaster for this season

Thanks coach. Upon what do you base your decisions?

Reactions: 1 person
Ease up guys. He's just following what he learned on here. You know, several teams in the SEC have a qb competition, so VN claims "they don't have one".
Obviously no one explained to OP that anytime we haven't named a starter/s it's different and great - competition.

Just gotta learn the totally and completely biased rules OP. Now you know for next time :rolleyes:

I'm still rollin at the posts this time last year that said this OL "is going to have a nasty streak" and "I'm glad our last group is gone they were so overrated"

Reactions: 4 people

AndYet Another Wanna-Be ArmChair Coach who has seen how many practices/drills/workouts?????? Who wants to substitute his judgment for our coaches.
YessireeBobtail.:crazy::crazy:

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back