Q Dormady officially named backup. What you expected?

skasper06

I remember the 3 incoming QBs being one of the big talks of the recruiting class and several threads and polls were made about how they would turn out.

With Quinten Dormady named the official backup to Dobbs, is it what you expected? Were you surprised? Do you think he keeps the spit and gets the nod even when Guarantano arrives? Clearly he performed well in spring practice and the OW game. And with Jennings moved to WR, it seemed likely he would get the #2 spot.

http://www.knoxnews.com/govolsxtra/football/jones-names-quinten-dormady-backup-quarterback_6761484

Reactions: 1 person
Is it what I expected?

Yes.

Surprised?

That's pretty much the same question as #1.

Does he keep the spot next year?

Most likely. I'm assuming the plan is Dobbs starts this year and likely next year barring an unexpected departure for the NFL, Dormady takes over for junior and potentially senior seasons, then it's Guarantano's turn in 2019.

But that's a long time and a lot can happen between then and now.

Reactions: 2 people
Only surprised that he named him this early. I thought it would be a "fostered" competition until the season started. Have to make sure they put forth "63" effort.

I think Dormady won the #2 spot in the spring. He's been the #2 in my head since then, at any rate.

I also think that for the first time in several long years, I have confidence that our #2 guy will be able to step up if he is called upon. Doesn't look like much shakes the young man.

Reactions: 6 people
Only surprised that he named him this early. I thought it would be a "fostered" competition until the season started. Have to make sure they put forth "63" effort.

He's that far ahead. Nothing but over the top praise from the coaches since day 1.

It will only take one play and he is number #1 from #2.

But we are in much safer hands this year than last.

No BOO tick here.

What I expected because he had a huge head start. Sheriron could still end up getting reps if any injuries occur and should prepare as for such. Dormady has no leg up on future starter's job because talent shines through. By the time Dobbs graduates we'll have three outstanding candidates for the job. Conclusion? Competition is great! :yahoo:

Reactions: 3 people
Skasper, it's a fair question. But I only ever expected the best freshman to be named backup. Because I knew none of them directly or in depth, I had no expectations for one over the others in any direction. So in that sense, no surprise at all.

Very excited for QD and his opportunity this fall. Hope he continues to grow quickly, and is ready if we need him during the coming season. I think he will be, he seems well ahead of where you normally expect a true freshman to be. Also wish the best for SJ, JJ, and ZJ -- we need them to grow and be ready, too...even as I'm hoping JJ excels at WR and both SJ and ZJ can redshirt.

As for 2016, a whole lotta water needs to pass under the bridge before we can talk seriously about that QB competition. Just happy to have the 2015 one sorted and the season to be SO NEAR. Go Vols!

One of the freshmen will be redshirted, and that'll be Jones since he's 3rd string, barring any unforeseen circumstances . By the time 2017 rolls around, I'm guessing the QB competition will look like this.

Dormady: Jr
Jones: RS So
Guarantano: RS Fr

Peyton should have.

I'm really confused as to what Peyton as a freshman has to do with this team.

It's rare that a true freshman QB is ready to play at this high of a level. Sure, it's happened, but when you have an experienced QB that played well the previous season and shows the potential to get even better, you don't even think of starting a freshman over him. And while Dormady is a very solid prospect, he wasn't some once in a generation prospect or anything, either.

He'll get to develop two years behind Dobbs and we should have us a good QB for the 2017 season.

Dormady may be the type player that if he ever gets his chance, he never relinquish the QB job again?

I'm really confused as to what Peyton as a freshman has to do with this team.

It's rare that a true freshman QB is ready to play at this high of a level. Sure, it's happened, but when you have an experienced QB that played well the previous season and shows the potential to get even better, you don't even think of starting a freshman over him. And while Dormady is a very solid prospect, he wasn't some once in a generation prospect or anything, either.

He'll get to develop two years behind Dobbs and we should have us a good QB for the 2017 season.

Is Dobbs a good practice player? Better than Dormandy?

Is Dobbs a good practice player? Better than Dormandy?

I have no idea. All the reports I hear are positive for both in practice. And given Dobbs has proven it on Saturdays, it's pretty obvious who is going to and who should start.

Again, if Dobbs falls apart, he'll get benched. Otherwise, it's gonna go forward as planned.

Dormandy named #2 so Jones can redshirt this year and Guarantano in 2016. Just a thought.

I think this is pretty accurate. Barring any injuries anyways... foe the record my prediction back in the spring was QD wins backup, Jones is 3rd string and redshirts. And Jennings switches to safety. Wasn't far off! Apparently it has all worked out pretty well either way.

I have no idea. All the reports I hear are positive for both in practice. And given Dobbs has proven it on Saturdays, it's pretty obvious who is going to and who should start.

Again, if Dobbs falls apart, he'll get benched. Otherwise, it's gonna go forward as planned.

Dobbs has proven what? he can scramble?

Who's the better passer?

Dormady may be the type player that if he ever gets his chance, he never relinquish the QB job again?

No, I don't think there's much chance of that happening in 2015. If Dobbs gets injured, Dormady starts. Otherwise, Dobbs is the CEO this season.

BUT, if Dormady really shines as the backup this year, that could absolutely break the competition wide open between the two of them (and the others, of course) for 2016. First we'd see of that would be in spring camp. No need to dwell on it until then.

For 2015, Joshua is our guy.

VN Store

Back