'01 SEC Championship Game

RockyTop411

Anyone care to enlighten me and some of the younger Vol fans about what happened?

I always hear that this was one of the worst losses in CPF's tenure. I noticed we lost to Georgia earlier at home that year as well. Who would we have played in the national title game? Is this the best Tennessee team you guys have seen?

Thanks. :hi:

Anyone care to enlighten me and some of the younger Vol fans about what happened?

I always hear that this was one of the worst losses in CPF's tenure. I noticed we lost to Georgia earlier at home that year as well. Who would we have played in the national title game? Is this the best Tennessee team you guys have seen?

Easily the most disappointing game for me. I believe UT had already beaten LSU in the regular season. To make matters worse, their starting quarterback got hurt (Davey). The backup (Mauk) proceeded to run and throw all over us. I was heartbroken.

Reactions: 1 person

I was in high school. Should have beat Georgia too. That was the hobnail boot game, I think. Did beat one of the best Florida teams Spurrier ever fielded after 9/11 postponed the game to the end of the season. All we had to do was beat a Nick Saban LSU team (that we already beat earlier that year) and we're playing the Miami Hurricanes for the NC. Probably would have given them a better game than Nebraska did. Instead we choked in the second half and had to settle on Michigan in a bowl game.

On paper, it was one of the most talented teams I've ever seen, but I've only been watching since I was a kid in the mid 90s. 1999 was stacked too. 2001 had Jason Witten, Albert Haynesworth, John Henderson, Dante Stallworth, Casey Clausen, Travis Stephens, Kelly Washington, etc. Just a stupid amount of talent.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Easily the most disappointing game for me. I believe UT had already beaten LSU in the regular season. To make matters worse, their starting quarterback got hurt (Davey). The backup (Mauk) proceeded to run and throw all over us. I was heartbroken.

Man that sounds similar to the '07 game, even though we weren't competing for a national title.

Perriloux was the backup for LSU I believe.

As far as the UGA game goes, UT took the lead late on a brilliant TS #34 play. THEN...the infamous squib quick giving UGA good field position. They drove down the field and scored a TD (Hobnail boot play) and won.

FF to the SEC CG. UT, the week prior, had beaten UF as an 18 underdog. The game was moved due to the 9.11 attacks.

So all UT needed to do was beat LSU in the SEC CG. UT had beaten LSU earlier in the season by 8. UT had a 10 point lead at the half and it all fell apart. It was a horrible loss.

Ban worthy IMO!:cray:

JK. That game is what happens when he does NOT stumble and fumble. :ermm:

Ban worthy IMO!:cray:

JK. That game is what happens when he does NOT stumble and fumble. :ermm:

Or maybe when Al Wilson isn't there to get in the DL faces "inspiring" Billy Ratliffe to drive his man into the QB on 3rd and long causing the stumble and fumble.

As far as the UGA game goes, UT took the lead late on a brilliant TS #34 play. THEN...the infamous squib quick giving UGA good field position. They drove down the field and scored a TD (Hobnail boot play) and won.

FF to the SEC CG. UT, the week prior, had beaten UF as an 18 underdog. The game was moved due to the 9.11 attacks.

So all UT needed to do was beat LSU in the SEC CG. UT had beaten LSU earlier in the season by 8. UT had a 10 point lead at the half and it all fell apart. It was a horrible loss.

Flights & Hotels to/at LA were being booked

I believe it was the beginning of a slow decline in TN football, we had winning seasons after not nationally top 5 or 10 ranked teams. The 05 team bbeing an exception where we were top 5 preseason and had a terrible year.

I was there and was beyond disappointed. Keep in mind, it was back in the days where we were a confident bunch and saw no way we would lose that game. I recall a quote from Saban saying that was one of the most talented teams he had ever played.

I recall how loud the LSU fans were and we out numbered them probably 2 to 3.

I will confess that I brought a rose with me into the Georgia Dome. :banghead2: Totally jinxed it.

By halftime we were up by double digits and had knocked out their starting quarterback and running back. Then Fulmer decided to go conservative, and the curse of the backup quarterback hit.

The Georgia game was pretty tough to take, too. The stadium was as loud as I've ever heard it after Travis Stephens broke free for the go-ahead TD with less than a minute to go, only for it to be pissed away 40 seconds later. We all kinda knew what was about to happen as soon the squib kick came off the kicker's foot.

Flights & Hotels to/at LA were being booked

I was about to book one before the SECCG but decided to wait.

It was just one of those times when you have to play a second consecutive big game after coming off a high of a really big victory at the Swamp. I was in school at UT, and I remember meeting the team late that night after the UF win at Tom Black Track, and some had roses in their mouths. They thought they were going. I was at the SECCG, and the second half of that game was a terrible feeling. We would have played Miami much better than Nebraska, and I think we could have beaten them.

Last edited:
Georgia Board lists the 2001 SEC championship game as one of the biggest turning points for SEC programs (created Nick Saban, ended TN's rein of greatness)

2001 SEC championship game he mentions might have been one of the bigger turning points in the conference this decade. It was a huge stamp of legitimacy for Nick SabanÂ’s LSU program and was also the last time a Phil Fulmer Tennessee team would play a part in the national title picture.

It’s hard to imagine Nick Saban’s LSU program “on the brink”, but that’s where they were midway through 2001 after a loss to Ole Miss. They recovered (read the link at TSK for more), got back on track with an impressive upset win over Alabama, and went on a run to win their last six games of the season. Within the span of about six weeks, Saban went from 4-3 and still unproven as an SEC coach to the head coach of the SEC champions.

Tennessee, despite the upset home loss to Georgia early in October, had risen to #2 in the nation. They had survived trips to Tuscaloosa, South Bend, and Gainesville. The game with Florida, delayed until the end of the season by the 9/11 terrorist attacks, was a thrilling 34-32 win that wasn’t just a showdown for the SEC East title; the winner would also become the presumptive favorite to earn the #2 spot in the BCS rankings. That game in itself was a bit of a turning point – instead of playing for another SEC and national title, Steve Spurrier’s Gators had to settle for an at-large bid to the Orange Bowl. Spurrier announced his decision to leave for the NFL a few months later, and it was the beginning of a few lean years for Florida fans.

After surviving those road tests and SpurrierÂ’s last stand, a win over #20 LSU was supposed to be a formality for Tennessee, and Vol fans were making plans to head to Pasadena for a Rose Bowl clash with #1 Miami.

The 2001 SEC championship game opened with a first quarter LSU touchdown, but the Vols exploded for 17 points in the second quarter to take a 17-10 lead into the locker room. LSU inched closer with a pair of third quarter field goals but still trailed by a point entering the final period. Freshman quarterback Matt MauckÂ’s second rushing touchdown of the day put the Tigers up for good less than a minute into the fourth quarter following a critical Travis Stephens fumble. Domanick Davis sealed the win a one-yard touchdown run with just over two minutes left after a long six-minute drive.

The story of the game, other than MauckÂ’s just-good-enough relief of injured starter Rohan Davey, was LSU holding the SECÂ’s top rusher, Travis Stephens, to just 37 yards on the ground. The Vols did some damage through the air, but the inability to convert on the ground cost them when they missed out on a chance to answer LSUÂ’s go-ahead score. Tennessee drove down the field and set up a 1st-and-goal at the LSU 4. No longer trusting the ground game, TennesseeÂ’s coaches called three passes, and quarterback Casey Clausen threw three straight incompletions. Instead of tying the game with a touchdown, the Vols had to settle for a short field goal and still trailed.

The game remains the only instance out of eight opportunities since 1992 where an SEC team in line to play for the national title lost the SEC championship game. Since that pivotal game, LSU went on to win three more SEC West titles, two more SEC championships, and two national titles. They even survived a coaching change along the way. Tennessee managed to return to the SEC championship game in 2004 and 2007, but they were clear underdogs each time and couldnÂ’t upset the 2004 undefeated Auburn team or the 2007 national champion LSU team. The Vols never again finished in the top 10 under Fulmer and were even left out of the final poll in three of the next seven years.

Can you think of many other games in recent SEC history that sent the two teams in such different directions? The 2006 Florida “jump pass” win over LSU was certainly a key moment in the rise of Urban Meyer’s Florida program, but LSU rebounded to beat Florida and win the national title the following year.

DawgsOnline » The SEC’s biggest turning point of the decade?

Last edited:
I will confess that I brought a rose with me into the Georgia Dome. :banghead2: Totally jinxed it.

By halftime we were up by double digits and had knocked out their starting quarterback and running back. Then Fulmer decided to go conservative, and the curse of the backup quarterback hit.

The Georgia game was pretty tough to take, too. The stadium was as loud as I've ever heard it after Travis Stephens broke free for the go-ahead TD with less than a minute to go, only for it to be pissed away 40 seconds later. We all kinda knew what was about to happen as soon the squib kick came off the kicker's foot.

I recall it being 1st and goal inside the 5 yard line, and Randy Sanders threw it three straight times (maybe even 4) from the shotgun. This was after TS sliced and diced the UF defense the week before.

There were some other very key mistakes by players: TS lost a fumble and Donte Stallworth had a bad fumble as well.

I'll tell you what, let's meet somewhere sometime. I will then kick you in the nuts. That would be the best description I could give you.

It was the beginning of the end for Fulmer. UT lost and the program didn't recover. Recruiting started to tank after that too.

Still makes me sick on my stomach.

As talented as that 01 team was, that Miami team(the team we would have played in the NCG) would have beat our asses.

Take our talent and double it and you had the Miami team.

It was VERY disappointing
BvcPejVIMAA6GT3.jpg

You know know the 2001 team was my favorite.

It was the most talented team I have ever seen play for UT.

Very poorly coached though.

As talented as that 01 team was, that Miami team(the team we would have played in the NCG) would have beat our asses.

Take our talent and double it and you had the Miami team.

That Miami team was awesome but do you remember our Dline?

That Miami team was awesome but do you remember our Dline?

Yup, was incredible.

Problem was, they were incredible at every position.

Among the numerous stars on the 2001 Miami squad were: quarterback Ken Dorsey; running backs Clinton Portis, Willis McGahee, Najeh Davenport, and Frank Gore; tight end Jeremy Shockey; wide receiver Andre Johnson, and Kevin Beard; tackles Bryant McKinnie and Joaquin Gonzalez; defensive linemen Jerome McDougle, William Joseph, and Vince Wilfork; linebackers Jonathan Vilma and D.J. Williams; and defensive backs Ed Reed, Mike Rumph, and Phillip Buchanon. Additional contributors included future stars Kellen Winslow II, Sean Taylor, Antrel Rolle, Vernon Carey, and Rocky McIntosh. In all, an extraordinary 17 players from the 2001 Miami football team were drafted in the first-round of the NFL Draft (5 in the 2002 NFL Draft: Buchanon, McKinnie, Reed, Rumph, and Shockey; 4 in 2003: Johnson, Joseph, McDougle, and McGahee; 6 in 2004: Carey, Taylor, Vilma, Wilfork, Williams, and Winslow; 1 in 2005: Rolle; and 1 in 2006: Kelly Jennings).

Any other year and the Vols might have been the most talented team in college football...but jesus christ that Hurricanes roster was so loaded.

I'll tell you what, let's meet somewhere sometime. I will then kick you in the nuts. That would be the best description I could give you.

That is so true. It was me , my son, and my dad, after the game, we went to the Waffle House sitting there when as my son tells it me and daddy started crying and he started laughing at us. I tell as they were crying and I was laughing. I do remember saying "If I thought it would help, I would cry", my dad said it didn't help him at all.

VN Store

Back