2015 VolNation Blog Entry #6: Replacing Marcus Jackson

zjcvols

"On a Tennessee saturday night."
Staff member
Though nothing has been officially confirmed, Marcus Jackson is most likely out for the season with an undisclosed arm injury. This is awful for Marcus, but hopefully he realizes how blessed he has been getting a free education from a solid university and can persevere through this. Thoughts out to Marcus. Thanks for giving your all to Tennessee big guy. :hi:

On the football, it's a significant blow. Jackson was a fifth year going into year three with Butch Jones, somebody with seventeen career starts under his belt. He wasn't a great pass blocker by any means, but he held his own and was a guy that could get a significant push against SEC defensive tackles on running plays. He struggled the first few of the season, but I thought he really came on once Tennessee got into SEC play.

Let's talk about who is going to be the starters. With Jackson out there are two guaranteed starters in Kyler Kerbyson and Jashon Roberterson. I think if I had to bet Mack Crowder would be the starting center at the moment, but Dylan Weisman and Coleman Thomas are both competing hard for that spot. I also am fairly confident that Brett Kendrick is going to be a starter, but not sure where currently.

Tennessee has a couple options at its disposal. The offensive line was bad last year and that's a huge negative. A positive though was a lot of guys played. Dylan Weisman and Coleman Thomas both got a lot of playing time last year and will be experienced if they join the starting lineup. Tennessee also brought in multiple offensive linemen in their class, with two that could play immediately in Drew Richmond and Jack Jones. Tennessee most likely didn't want to start them, but both were going to play anyway this year. Jones, as an early enrollee, has really impressed so far. Drew Richmond has NFL athleticism and size for the tackle position. My guess is that Jack Jones would take the right guard spot with Jashon Robertson moving to the left side. Drew Richmond would be the right tackle with Brett Kendrick taking over the left guard spot.

There are four guys who are returning that could vie to replace Jackson. Coleman Thomas is more of a center and has good size and athleticism but was awful at right tackle last year, which is why he started to see more time at center. He's improved, but he must improve his footwork in order to be average at right tackle. I thought Dylan Weisman has some solid moments last year at center. I think the staff wants him at center full time and keep improving to hopefully take over the starting gig for 2016. The third guy is Austin Sanders, a guy who hasn't done much in two years and still hasn't found a position right now. He'll be in the rotation a little but I would be shocked if he took over as a starter. The fourth guy is very interesting. Charles Mosley has a lot of potential and is a huge road grader. One option is that Tennessee could use Mosley on first and second down for potential run plays at left guard, then on obvious passing plays (such as 3rd and long) move Kendrick to left guard and Drew Richmond to right tackle. I think Mosley is one year away but he will play, especially in short yardage situations.

Obviously, I can only base this on what I've seen in the past, high school film (which isn't a great indicator of anything), and hearing of practice reports, but I believe that Tennessee's best lineup right now looks like this:

LT Kerbyson
LG Robertson
C Weisman
RG Jones
RT Kendrick

Good size and a lot of run blockers on that line. I really like the left side with Kerbyson and Robertson as that can be a truly excellent run blocking tandem. Crowder can definitely win that job at center but I like Weisman a little better right now.

I really love what Jack Jones brings. To put it bluntly, he's a badass. He's a mean dude on the field and has no problem putting you down. I think him at right guard is the best option. He's been in the program longer than Richmond, has grasped the playbook, and can really move on pull plays. He needs to get stronger and playing in the SEC is physically demanding but hopefully the depth at Tennessee is better and he won't have to play all the time.

One interesting option though I highly doubt it will happen is Drew Richmond at left tackle. I'm very confident Kerybson stays in that spot, but if Richmond really steps up his game in the next three weeks, the coaching could go with Richmond at left tackle, move Kerbyson to right tackle, and Kendrick at left guard.

The good news? Tennessee has multiple options to replace Marcus Jackson and has enough time to figure out what is the best plan. The problem? They all have huge question marks and are unproven. The offensive line must improve and losing a fifth year senior who started last year is a bad way to kickoff 2015. Hopefully Mike DeBord (whose offensive line coaching is invaluable) has the right answers and Tennessee can improve the offense.

Reactions: 3 people
I just hope nobody else goes down for good.

May have to start another thread for North if any of these rumors have some substance.
:banghead2::banghead2::banghead2::banghead2::banghead2::banghead2::banghead2::banghead2::banghead2::banghead2::banghead2::banghead2::banghead2::banghead2::banghead2::banghead2::banghead2::banghead2::banghead2::banghead2::banghead2::banghead2::banghead2::banghead2::banghead2::banghead2::banghead2::banghead2::banghead2::banghead2::banghead2::banghead2::banghead2::banghead2::banghead2::banghead2::banghead2::banghead2::banghead2::banghead2::banghead2::banghead2::banghead2::banghead2::banghead2::banghead2::banghead2::banghead2::banghead2::banghead2::banghead2::banghead2::banghead2::banghead2::banghead2::banghead2::banghead2::banghead2::banghead2::banghead2:

Reactions: 1 person
The problem lye's with the next O-Lineman down, depth is great quality depth is still a year away. O-line will be a weakness all 2015 because of it, I'm glad we have JD to mask some of these issues.

VN Store

Back